Tiger Woods This Year

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:43 pm
Of all Tiger Woods's 65 victories, none has owed more to his unique competitive instinct than this, his first Desert Classic. Indeed, in beating Ernie Els in a play-off, the world No 1 underlined that genius has as much to do with the force of will as any overload of innate talent. And, believe it, Tiger's will was a raging Force Nine here yesterday.

Els certainly portrayed a ruffled look as he crouched over the drive on the first extra hole that was soon to head, calamitously, for the trees. Maybe the South African was simply mindful of Woods's incredible play-off record of having contested 13 and lost just the once (when he was just a cub in the 1998 Nissan Open to Billy Mayfair).

Or was the defending champion merely remembering his own sudden-death deficit to the nemesis who has now stared him down three times? Whatever, when Woods hit the back of the par-five green from the centre of the fairway, and Els found the lake with his hit-or-bust second, it was all over bar the gloating. Not that there was any of that from Woods, this most humble of winners, after making his record for 2006 read "played two, won two".

"Somehow I got lucky," he said, just as he had after the Buick Invitational play-off the week before and however gracious this admission, it merely summed up what everyone else was thinking. As the Emirates Course emptied, after a quite wonderful four days, the only question hanging in the sultry air was: "How one earth did he win that?" Because, for long periods of the day, it seemed the only thing the 30-year-old would be breaking was his driver and not 70. He really was that wayward.

Consider that from the sixth he missed the green six times in succession and you might approximate the awfulness of it all. But apart from the opening hole of that dismal stretch he managed to save par from a number of "impossible" positions to stay in touch. The most miraculous was undoubtedly the 14th when he found the hazard on the right, took a penalty drop into a right snorter of a lie surrounded by rocks, somehow found the green with a sand-wedge and holed it from 18 feet. Was this Tiger, or was this Seve? It was Tiger all right. For while the Spaniard would have had to fight his fallibility to the very end, the 10-times major winner only had to do battle until he had sorted it all out.
That he could so with two holes of normal play left - that is, when he had to - merely sums up the sheer class of the man. "I had to find a solution and I did," he said, before outlining a technical adjustment that he alone understood. "It was rather like Augusta last year." Then, of course, he produced his best two shots of an error-strewn finish to deny Chris DiMarco - you guessed it, in a play-off - and Els felt similarly comforted that he had just been beaten by the best, especially as he is still in the process of returning from a four-month absence with a knee injury. "I cannot complain," said the 36-year-old. "To come back and almost win in the strongest field of the year so far... well, that's fine."

The South African's fourth Dubai title had looked in jeopardy when his playing partner, the Australian left-hander Richard Green suddenly slipped one ahead after his third successive birdie on the 17th, and even more so when Tiger fearlessly took out his driver on that penultimate hole's tee and located the green some 359 yards away.

Rather inevitably, though, Green dropped away with a sweaty-palmed bogey and, even more inevitably, Els coolly birdied to reclaim the lead with his 19-under total.

But, 10 minutes later, Woods's nerveless chip to hole-side from the deep rough at the back of that final green informed Els there was more to do. Alas, it was too much, but then it has proved so for everyone. Except for old Billy, of course.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,625 • Replies: 31
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 06:52 pm
I think it is remarkable that Woods keeps winning, with all the problems he has anymore.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 09:50 pm
MIAMI, March 5 (Reuters) - Tiger Woods was in confident mood after winning his third title of the year in five starts at the Doral Championship on Sunday.

"All I can do is beat whoever is in the field, and that's it," American Woods told reporters after completing a one-shot victory at the Doral Golf Resort and Spa despite a bogey-bogey finish.

"That's all I can do. I'm trying to do my part by putting myself there and winning tournaments, trying to improve each and every week and each and every year."

Asked to rate his confidence with the first major of the year, the U.S. Masters, five weeks away, the world number one replied: "Pretty high, considering I've put myself there in virtually every event, which is nice."

Woods, who successfully defended a PGA Tour title for the 13th time with a closing three-under-par 69 at Doral, believes he is a better all-round player than 12 months ago.

"I'm able to hit so many more golf shots now than I could last year at this time, and on top of that, I could fix it while I'm out there playing," he said after clinching his 48th PGA Tour career victory.

"Last year at this time, I had so many things I was still working on that I had a hard time fixing it because if I hit one shot, it could be three or four different things I needed to work on to try and rectify that shot.

"Now I know exactly what to do and I can rectify it on the very next shot."

SECOND OVERHAUL

The U.S. Masters and British Open champion completed the second overhaul of his swing since he turned professional in 1996 with his coach Hank Haney before the start of last year.

"It's fun to see that all of the hard work that Hank and I have been putting into it is starting to pay off where I'm able to play consistently day after day," Woods said.

"That's why I work as hard as I do is to be as consistent as I have been. It's nice to see it, because we spent countless hours away, none of you guys see it. It's fun to see it coming together like this."

Woods, who won the Buick Invitational in San Diego in January before clinching the European Tour's Dubai Desert Classic the following week, added there was still some work to do before launching his Masters defence at Augusta National on April 6.

"That's the beauty of it, that I can be better tomorrow than I am today," the 30 year old said. "The checklist is certainly smaller, but still, I've got some work to do.

"Just keep refining what we're working on and making sure it's where I can go out there and hit shots and trust it.

"Flight the ball correctly either way, up, down or right to left, left to right. I want to make sure I can do that on call." (Writing in Los Angeles by Mark Lamport-Stokes)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 09:51 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I think it is remarkable that Woods keeps winning, with all the problems he has anymore.

What problems are those, just out of curiosity....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:04 pm
He was changing his stance, his swing, etc., I think because as he grows older his body changes somewhat. He appears to be back in stride this year.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:49 pm
Tiger's father has died.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 05:54 pm
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 4 May, 2006 10:58 am
When I asked, "what problems?" back in March, I was unaware of his Dad's state of health.

Sad for Tiger.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:23 pm
Woods prepared for emotional comeback
By Lewine Mair in New York

Talking in the build-up to this week's US Open at Winged Foot, Tiger Woods explained that restarting golf following the death of his father, Earl, on May 3 had been one of the hardest things he had had to do in his 30 years.

Woods had been fearful of how, with his golf having been so interwoven with his relationship with his father, the memories would come flooding back with every shot. They did - but instead of prompting more tears they brought a smile to his face. "I can honestly say," he marvelled, "that every time I looked back to my childhood, I found myself smiling. Not everyone has that. I was lucky."

Woods, who was greatly moved by the letters and messages of support he had received from all around the world, struck a chord when he gave the details of his first shots, back in the fifth week of his nine-week lay-off. "On the first day," he began, "you never miss one. On the second day, you're hitting all over the planet. The thing that counts is how you're doing on the third day. I did pretty good - and I've got progressively better."

Asked how Earl would have felt about him taking so long away, Woods' reply brought a significant insight into what has made him the player he is. Woods said his father would have told him: "Only play when you're ready. If you're not ready, you won't 'be there'."

He added that his father had always gone on about the number of events he had on his schedule. "If, say, I played 20 tournaments in a year, he would ask, 'Why are you playing so much?' "

Woods and Phil Mickelson, who is trying to win a third successive major this week, were concentrating on the little shots from the six-inch rough around these greens yesterday, with Mickelson planning to use five wedges - ranging in loft from 64 degrees down to 51 degrees - in his bag. Only if it is wet will he discard a wedge and go with the two drivers he used at the Masters in April.

At Winged Foot there is no question of the ball sitting up in the greenside rough: it subsides every time. "It's so deep," said Woods' bodyguard, "that you can lose a shoe in it as easily as a golf ball." Michael Campbell added that competitors have been discussing the dangers of a player, or his caddie, inadvertently treading on a ball and incurring a two-shot penalty.

Woods was improvising all the time. On one occasion, when his ball was up against a ridge at the back of the fifth green, he made little more than a quick stab at the ball, lifting the club up after the hit instead of following through. "He sees each of these little shots differently," marvelled his coach, Hank Haney.

In truth, the only apparent difference in Woods and caddie Steve Williams as they played their penultimate practice round was that Williams, after nine weeks without a bag on his back, appears to have put on a few pounds.

Luke Donald, one of nine Englishmen in the field this week, confirmed that the US Open represents his best chance of winning a major - and that Winged Foot marries particularly well with his straight-hitting game. No one is giving Colin Montgomerie much of a chance, meanwhile, after his homeward nine of 43 last Sunday in Austria. Then again, the bookies have even rated Campbell, the defending champion, at 100-1.

Is Campbell insulted? Not at all. "That's great," the New Zealander said. "Let Tiger, Vijay [Singh] and Phil have all the attention. I don't care what you guys think or write or say, but I know I have a chance."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2006 11:15 am
World number one Tiger Woods has missed a cut at a Major for the first time in his professional career as he failed to qualify for the final rounds of the US Open Golf Tournament in New York.

Woods totalled 12 over par after two rounds of the US Open on Friday, while the cut was at nine over par.

This is the first time after 37 majors since 1997 that woods has missed a cut at a major.

However, he can draw comfort from the fact that this was his first outing in nine weeks - a break he took on account of his father's death.

The other big names to miss the cut are defending champion Michael Campbell, Sergio Garcia and Retief Goosen.

"I'm pissed. That pretty much sums it up right there. I thought I was playing well enough to shoot an under par round today and I didn't do that," said Woods.

"Well it's not something that you want to have happen. I've gone I guess while without missing one (weekend cut) and unfortunately I missed this one and hopefully I can win the British," he added.

Meanwhile, one of the two Indians to feature at the US Open has made the cut.

Jeev Milkha Singh sneaked in at nine over par, which was the cut off point, but Jyoti Randhawa was not so lucky. His 12 over par was three shots off the mark just like Tiger Woods. (AP)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Jul, 2006 04:27 pm
Tiger won the British open, now back to back wins, this day

He complained about the amateur photographers he and playing partner Sergio Garcia had to contend with during Sunday's final round.

"We had it at every hole," Woods said after a closing 67 gave him a two-shot victory over Chris DiMarco and the 11th major of his career.

"We had never seen anything like it before. It wasn't the professional photographers, it was the gallery. They had cameras or camera phones."

Woods said he and Garcia, who finished with a disappointing 1-over 73, were constantly distracted.

"The cameras kept going off while we were over the shot or preparing to hit the shot, or even hitting the shot they were going off," said Woods, who also won the British Open at St Andrews in 2000 and 2005.

"It was very frustrating for Sergio and I. Because of all the undue delays that we had with our caddies and the marshals trying to get a situation where we could play, we got put on the (slow play) clock.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:04 pm
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:49 pm
It always amazes me the way that Mike Lupica (a sports writer I see on ESPN's Sports Reporters on Sunday mornings) downs tiger Woods. He sounds like so many of the Tiger Haters that have been heard throughout his phenomenal career - "Well, he ain't the greatest yet", "He still hasn't proved it to me", or Mickleson's more consistent", yadda yadda yadda.

Last Sunday Lupica went on record picking "the field" (as in, anyone but Tiger) over Tiger in this latest tournament, because of some contrived observation about his consistently with a driver lately.

I wonder if they'll shut the hell up WHEN he passes Nickalaus' record 19?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:56 pm
I don't watch Lupica. But, I know lots of "regular people" who down him the same way. Without any basis for the criticism they just want someone else to win that badly. I don't get the animosity. When Singh or Mickleson win, I feel good for them, because thay worked for it. Same with Tiger. He doesn't get it handed to him, and they should recognize that.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 08:20 pm
Tiger has been playing since he was old enough to walk. He works out and studies the course. He has trmendous inate talent. He deserves his wins.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 10:05 am
4 straight bogies yesterday. And he's still only one shot off, as play begins this day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2006 04:21 pm
It wasn't pretty, but, . . .

AKRON, Ohio - Tiger Woods celebrated his 10-year anniversary of turning pro Sunday by winning for the 52nd time on the PGA Tour, making an 8-foot birdie putt on the fourth playoff hole against Stewart Cink to win the Bridgestone Invitational.

Woods won for the fourth straight time, a streak that began at the British Open and shows no sign of ending.

This one looked to be in doubt, however, when Cink made up a three-shot deficit over the final three holes, then had Woods on the ropes the first three holes of the playoff. But with rain pounding Firestone South, Cink hit into a bunker on the 17th hole, and never got a chance to putt for par when Woods made his birdie.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:57 am
It must be nice being Tiger Woods.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Aug, 2006 07:49 pm
He used to do tournaments selectively, but lately seems bent on winning them all.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2006 07:58 am
Maybe he needs the money? He's only making $60 million a year. That's barely enought to live on!
0 Replies