Printer Problem

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:05 pm
OK
I'm not a hardware person, so talk slow.

Someone gave me a Brother 5 in 1 printer about a year ago.

We were remodeling, so I've had it in storage basically all this time.

When I unpacked it, the black printer cartridge was missing. No problem, I set up the printer, bought a black cartridge and put it and the other 3 colors in.

The ink status monitor said the black was the only one full, the others empty.
Well, even though I could see there was ink in them, I figured the heat of having them in storage damaged them, so I went and just purchased 3 cartridges.

Now, when I put all 4 in the status bars keep changing. 3 will be fine and the yellow will say empty. I wiggle the yellow it shows full and the cyan and magenta say empty, etc.

I took them all out and cleaned the mechanism in the printer with Q-tips and alcohol. Still does the same thing.

I'll call Brother tomorrow, but in the meantime, any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 834 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:10 pm
do you have a 38 special or perhaps a 44 magnum?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm
one other thing, learn cursive and you won't have to print.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:22 pm
Call Brother. But first double-check you have all the ink cartridges in correctly and securely. About the Q-tips and alcohol, I don't know if that's a good idea...maybe it's fine, I just don't personally know. Are you using official ink cartridges from Brother? One thing...with many printers it's actually bad for the print heads to leave ink in there while never plugging in the printer for more than a few months.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:05 pm
Is there possibly some piece of tape or other protective covering on any of the new ink cartridges? That's about all a user could check for.

By the way, we have three Brothers at the office. Never again! NEVER!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:16 pm
i've been told - repeatedly ! - to use the printer at least a couple of times a week to prevent ink/printer problems .
what 'might' help is to let the printer do the test pattern repeatedly . it sucks up a lot of ink but might help ?
-----------------------------------------------------------
can i bring in a 'dumb' printer question here ?how do i adjust the printer so it doesn't leave a quarter of the right printing out ? it happans every now-and-then ; not all the time.
i've been told how to do it, but never wrote it down !
thanks. hbg
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:56 pm
Wow, I'm not as dumb as I thought...at least most of this stuff already went through my mind/checked out.

Dys, thanks for once again aiming an arrow right at the heart of the matter. If it wasn't for Diane, I'd ask you to be my cuppycake gumdrop.

Monger - Yeah, all in secure and properly, check.
I used the q-tips since at work the biomeds use alcohol swaps for cleaning parts in a dialysis machine. I figured, if it doesn't harm that $7-10K thing, it wouldn't hurt the printer.
Yeah - official Brother ink cartridges, ask for them by name.
Oh - the cartridges weren't in the printer when they were in storage. The think was new, packed and sealed in the box. It's just that the black cartride somehow wasn't included. Thanks

Roger - No tape or covering. Checked that out first think. Yeah, this is strictly a personal use printer. I wouldn't get something like this for work, plus it was a gift. Thanks

hamburger - yeah I wish I could do a test run to "unclog" it. The problem is, it won't do anything, just keeps telling me to install the cartrige - Thanks

All great suggestions.

What a way to spend a Sunday afternoon, huh?

I think I'll look up cust service on the internet and see if I can email them.

Piece of farging sheet.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:04 pm
AH -HA!

I went on line and studied the FAQ's

There is a plastic clip that is supposed to fit OVER the cartridge, I was letting the clip stay next to it.

Now, all I've got to do it run it through a few cleaning cycles. the yellows not right, but getting better.

Thanks All!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:30 pm
all systems go ! keep printing away ! hbg

(i'll post my question separately).
0 Replies