My opinion of Muslims after the violence over a cartoon.

Diane

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:13 pm
Since D'artagnan put into words my exact opinion on the subject, all I can say is, "ditto."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:17 pm
nimh wrote:
http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/deadhorse3.gif

Laughing I have got to keep this one around for later.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:29 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Well, I'm all for freedom of the press, but after reading how this whole thing started, I don't feel too good about anyone in this fight. A newspaper editor invited cartoonists to portray Muhammad however they wanted. I'm assuming he knew that there's a taboo in Islam re depicted Muhammad at all, positively or negatively.

The angry response was predictable--and I wonder if it was intended from the get-go...

Yes. The angry response was predictable; so was the violence. You might take a look at my reference to John Wesley and the Methodists on the first page of the topic. My question is, do we blame a cartoonist for violence, or the people comitting it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:33 pm
I'm glad I'm not the only one to feel that the paper was at fault to some degree. The violence must be blamed on the violent parties, but the paper incited the violence. I have refrained from talking about this, because I don't know all the details.

Now, having said that, why the rest of the world has to obey someone else's religious views still eludes my understanding. Like gay marriage and abortion, etc, why do the rest of us have to abide by 'your' religious views?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:36 pm
I wonder how many Muslims there are in Denmark? It's their local paper, it's supposed to reflect their society. So the rest of the world, especially the Muslims need to butt out. Their country, their rules, their paper... This is a direct result of the problems we are getting by merging all of our societies through technology. People thought technology would bring people closer together, but obviously the Muslims have a problem with other cultures, as do christians...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:47 pm
littlek,

I'm not so sure it's a matter of obeying someone else's religious views in this. I think it's more just a matter of someone wanting respect for what they hold sacred. I do understand that many do not respect the Muslim religion, much less any religion. Perhaps we have all become too sensitive to being offended and perhaps we have all just become less sensitive to the feelings of others. I don't know.

I do not understand the reacton to these cartoons. Meeting an offense with violence is just not right IMO. It equates to an anti-abortionist killing an abortion doctor or bombing a clinic. This is not the way to handle this at all.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:59 pm
I have conflicting views about this issue, just like every other issue I face.

Although not a great supporter of free speech, I do believe that each country is entitled to what they feel is right for them. I also believe that when one enters a country, they must respect that countries laws and the international community must respect that respect. Those in Europe have the right to free speech - let them exercise it and let them live. What right do the extremists have to take away Europe's right to publish? Therefore, in a way I think the extremists are taking this too seriously.

However, isn't what the Catholic Church did over a southpark cartoon similar? I'm referring to the one which had a statue of Virgin Mary bleeding and the Pope proclaimed she was menstruating. The church demanded a ban and such ban was finally implemented. Of course they did not threaten violence but their aim is the same as the extremists who are threatening violence - it breaches the sacredness of our religion - take it away.

I feel a country and its people have the right to excercise what's given to them rightfully but there's always the balancing act of respecting other's rights too. If not, there wouldn't be all this controversy, ranging from small issues in the form of court cases for defamation and invasion of privacy to international matters such as this.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:07 pm
pragmatic, I agree with what you say. Are you living in China? If so, I assume that you have some special status since you are allowed to visit this forum. China being a closed society doesn't generally face problems like this, do they?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:12 pm
roverroad wrote:
I wonder how many Muslims there are in Denmark? It's their local paper, it's supposed to reflect their society. So the rest of the world, especially the Muslims need to butt out. Their country, their rules, their paper...

The number of Muslims in Denmark is relatively small - pronouncedly smaller than in Germany, France or Holland; they make up some 3% of the population, I believe.

That hasnt stopped the Danes from getting themselves in something of a tizzy over the 'threat' that these Muslim immigrants purportedly pose to Danish society, refusing to integrate sufficiently.

The immigration and Islam issue has in fact been quite dominant in Danish politics. It's led to the emergence of a powerful far-right, anti-immigrant party, which last time got some 13% of the vote.

Moreover, the current Danish government relies on the support of this party to stay in power. This has led to the introduction of some of the most drastic anti-immigration measures in Europe.

For example, even if Danes marry a spouse from another country, the spouse will not be given a residency permit unless a number of criteria is fulfilled (the marrying Dane must be at least a certain age, etc. Thousands of Danes who fell in love with a foreigner now live in Sweden.)

So there is something of a political backdrop to the publication of these cartoons. Note that Jyllands-Posten is a rightwing, if mainstream newspaper.

(All of this context has already gotten into in the other threads, mind you ... this is what I mean with every new thread that's started beginning the whole information cycle all over again... nag, nag..)

roverroad wrote:
This is a direct result of the problems we are getting by merging all of our societies through technology. People thought technology would bring people closer together, but ...

Interesting point, that. Yes, globalised information was thought to enhance intercultural tolerance, but it also means that only one as$hole in some remote corner of the world needs to do something bad, and tribes across the world will immediately know and get hysterical about it in turn.

In some respects it was better when it took a year before less-than-acute news travelled the world...
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:13 pm
Hi Rover: Actually I am Chinese-australian. As for being allowed to visit - I'm am quite amused! I know many chinese people on this forum who are from the mainland and they have no problem making contributions to this forum at all, but enjoy it as much and to a full extent as everyone else in this world. I can understand your perceptions on China but we are certaintly not closed to new and modern technology - take my word! :wink:

In regards to your question about China not have these problems - we don't have these problems but for a different reason - not because we are closed, but because Chinese people are united and in one mind when international matters in this form arise. You may have seen the Chinese protests over Japanese history text books recently, when Japan refused to acknowledge the Rape of Nanking atrocities in World War Two. I hope that cleared some things up for you?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:15 pm
[quote="nimh] For example, even if Danes marry a spouse from another country, the spouse will not be given a residency permit unless a number of criteria is fulfilled (the marrying Dane must be at least a certain age, etc. Thousands of Danes who fell in love with a foreigner now live in Sweden.)[/quote]

Unless you are Crown Princess Mary Donaldson of Australia and Parl had to make a special law just for you and to keep Crown Prince Frederick happy...
0 Replies