My opinion of Muslims after the violence over a cartoon.

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:45 am
So, now that there have been several days of violence caused by Muslims over a cartoon, what do you think of Muslims now?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,195 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:55 am
I am a big believer in not painting with too broad a brush. I do think though, that there is a large group of hard core Muslim extremists, around the world, who are out to make trouble, any which way they can, and then blame it on other people.

I think that these extremists are spoiling for a world wide "fight" and are using any excuse as a catalyst to put into action what they have been planning all along. When I read things like the post that I have quoted, I am more and more convinced that there are factions n the Islamic world who are hell bent on power through terrorism.........................and worse.

Quote:
A decision by the 35-nation board of the UN atomic energy agency to report Iran to the Security Council reflects increasing suspicion around the world that Iran is determined to develop nuclear weapons.

The resolution, which passed by a vote of 27 to 3 on Saturday, could change the course of diplomacy toward Iran and open the door to international punishment of the country.

Only Cuba, Syria and Venezuela voted against the European-drafted resolution. Five countries - Algeria, Belarus, Indonesia, Libya and South Africa - abstained.

After the vote, Iran said it would end its voluntary nuclear cooperation with the agency and that it would begin full-scale production of enriched uranium, which can be used to produce electricity or to help build nuclear bombs.

In a letter ordering the country's nuclear commission to take those actions, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad wrote that after Iranian demonstrations of compliance and good will, "the nuclear agency has voted under pressure by few countries and has ignored our extensive cooperation and negated our legal right," the official IRNA news agency reported.

Ahmadinejad said that although the country would no longer observe the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty's Additional Protocol, which gives UN inspectors greater powers of access to suspected sites, "all the country's peaceful activities will remain within the framework of the Nonproliferation Treaty."

If you believe that, I have a great little bridge for sale. It goes from the borough of Kings to Manhattan! Sad

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/news/iran.php
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:02 am
This sort of aggressive, mindless, tribal like behavior is not unknown in the US. Anybody remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/15/newsid_3750000/3750939.stm

The difference is, that the Muslim extremists, IMO, have a lot of money and power behind them, so the results can be far reaching and devastating.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:13 am
I do agree that it's just a few extremists giving the rest of the Muslims a bad name, but those extremists seem to be getting more and more support from moderate Muslims every day.

I read a post from a Pakistani man on another message board, this is a person that I've always thought was a rational thinker and didn't seem very extreme. And he was all up in arms over this cartoon. Even going so far as to justify the use of guns to protest this.

I also think that the United States policy in the middle east is only benefiting the Muslims extremists because it's giving them a common enemy to unite against. Now they are branching out against little countries like Denmark.

I wonder if that cartoon had been published in an American paper if it would have had the same backlash? I think the people that organize this protest know that they outnumber little Denmark and may be able to intimidate them and other small countries.

As for the nuclear issue in Iran. There's no way this is just for generating energy. They don't need it. Plus, the president of Iran has publicly said that he would erase Israel from the map.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:19 am
"moderates"... you mean those that are like radicals but without the balls to actually act on it so they support the radicals. like "mainstream" republicans support bushco.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:10 am
A commentator on the radio suggested that one difficulty could be the absence of a free press in most of the Muslim world. A consequence of that is that anything published in a magazine or newspaper is seen as the official position of the government.

If this is the major factor it would make the reaction a little more understandable to me, though no more palatable.

But of course even in the west these days the fact that someone is offended by an opinion is increasingly seen as sufficient reason to ban it's expression.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:56 am
Had I seen those cartoons before publication, and they really were pretty offensive, I could have predicted the Muslim reaction. Maybe just a few extremists, but as BP notes, supported by those that like to be safely considered moderates.

Now, if I had seen similar cartoons depicting John Wesley, I would have felt equally confident in predicting some quite steamy letters to the editor, not to mention a number of canceled subscriptions.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:09 am
The pictures are not in good taste, but in their own right cannot cause so much anger. A hardcore group will use any trigger for their violent means. If not the cartoons, something else. Not all Muslims are like this.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 02:45 pm
I think some Muslims suck, just like some of any other grouping you might mention.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 02:49 pm
Though I can understand their being offended, I cannot understand how some Muslims have let this get so out of hand. If everyone that was offended in this world would resort to this kind of violence, I dare say there wouldn't be too many people left on this earth at all.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 02:53 pm
so anyway 1,000 people die on a sinking ship from egypt, the government controlled press headlines some danish cartoons and the anger is diverted, Syria is a powder keg waiting to explode with 85% of the population disenfranchised from access to power or control, the government controlled press headlines some danish cartoons and the anger is diverted, The Lebonese government is on the brink of disaster and the government controlled press headlines some danish cartoons. Get my drift?????
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:00 pm
Religious fanatics, backed by the ignorant herd ... sound familiar???

Anon
0 Replies

bluebaby

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:47 pm
i think this poll isn't completely fair coz no one will accept violence there must be one more choice which is ( do u thinkmuslims has the right to be angry) just try to put the first choice in the poll in good terms ..thanks
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
Good point bluebaby, but the poll can't be modified at this point. And, there will always be people who disagree with the wording of a poll. I'll admit, there is some bias in the wording because it was written by a person with disgust over the behavior. If I could modify the poll I would add "Anger is justified, but violence is not."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
Am I really the only one who gets annoyed when someone starts, like, the seventh thread on the same topic?

The thing is that people start posting the same information all over again, and the discussion starts from scratch ...

Ah well, I'm just super-anal I guess.

nimh wrote:
Oh God and that makes thread # 5 about this topic ...

[ie: Support freedom of the press - buy Danish products.]

Perhaps I should get out the firework for # 10 ...

More info and background in this thread: BLASPHEMY

And in this thread (at least, from about page 7 onwards): Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!

(I posted a set of summaries of relevant background news stories on both)

cjhsa posted this one, but it went OT pretty quickly: Islam - Religion of Tolerance, and Peace

Pan posted a pic of all the cartoons, but its too small to really see well, on the Meaning of life <cartoons, etc> thread

And finally I posted a thread on a flippant aside re: the whole thing: Palestine: Screaming lack of geography education exposed!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:54 pm
Nimh, I think you should get over it. Go grab a gun and protest with the Muslims... I couldn't find any other polls on the subject before I posted.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:36 pm
OK, I got my gun, where's the militant protest against duplicate threads on A2K? I'm roaring to go now...

http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/curses.gif

Death to the infidel duplicators! No mercy for the lazy! Holy retribution will be ours!

http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/rocket.gifhttp://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/gun.gif

http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/rules.gif http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/ban2.gif
http://www.ghostchatter.com/img/smiley/deadhorse3.gif
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:48 pm
Am I really the only one who gets annoyed when someone, like, changes the subject of a thread after like the 7th post? :wink:

Am I really the only one who gets annoyed when someone, like, complains too much?

Am I really the only one who gets annoyed when someone, like, has a smilie for every possible occasion.

Am I really the only one who gets annoyed when someone, like, uses the word "Like" too much.

Fish suck!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:57 pm
Yeah, like, you're so totally, you know, the only one - I mean, no waay, like, that youse not - word!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:03 pm
Well, I'm all for freedom of the press, but after reading how this whole thing started, I don't feel too good about anyone in this fight. A newspaper editor invited cartoonists to portray Muhammad however they wanted. I'm assuming he knew that there's a taboo in Islam re depicted Muhammad at all, positively or negatively.

The angry response was predictable--and I wonder if it was intended from the get-go...
0 Replies