Internet cafe security

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:49 am
Hello all ..

I run an internet cafe, and we have up to 20 computers. We have fast internet, broadband and the computers are only dedicated for the internet.

Recently we've been having problems: worms, spyware, virus, all kinds of software trash is spreading throughout the network and in almost every computer to the extent it is slowing the internet connection and annoying the costumers.

An example of the spyware problem ... in the middle of a browsing session all of a sudden an internet explorer window pops up and takes you to another website...advertisement. All kinds of pop-up blockers did not stop that from happening over and over again. I ran virus scan several times, found lots of viruses and trash, but still the pop up problem no solved. Its defnitely a deeply rooted spyware or some kind of undetected virus.

Another example is the slow connection ... though no one is donwloading anything. So its unexplainable.

Another example is computer crashing and the tons of unnecessary programs found on various computers.

Sometimes I run virus scan, delete viruses, run ad-aware program, remove spyware..but can STILL find spyware and virus coming back again!

Question: How can I protect my network from all the software trash and the threats from the internet? What kind of software/firewall/procedure/tactic/precaution should I be doing to ensure that the network is as safe as possible from what the internet can bring?

I'm looking forward to receiving your tips and advise on that issue, as im sure many of you guys are experienced enough to guide me through.

Big thanks in advance!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 813 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:00 am
There really isn't a suitable software-only solution, you should employ a hardware network/internet interface, such as SonicWall - there are others, this one I'm familiar with - look at their T50 and T70 series of SOHO appliances; fine for small networks - wired or wireless). Essentially, it amounts to a front-door solution, providing firewall, antivirus, antitrojan, antispam, and content filtering - as administrator, you pretty much can restrict network access to anything you don't want the network's computers to reach. Before implementing any such solution, you also should be certain your network's machines are absolutely clean, fully updated, and are configured for safe internet use - for instance, browser and chat and email clients should be granted only necessary privileges, and users should not be able to operate the machines via an administrative-level account (IMO, a real big flaw with Windows systems). I would guess you could get to where you wanna be - a network you control and don't hafta worry about - for well under $1000.

Internal-to-the-network firewall, antivirus, antispyware etc software, resident on each machine is a good idea, providing a second layer of protection.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 08:04 pm
how about a Squid Web ProxyServer?
0 Replies