Crock pots and recipes

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:27 am
OooohOOohhh http://www.crockpot.com/images/38651Clarge.gif

<-- suffering from crock pot envy

I'm considering this one http://www.crockpot.com/images/38501_prod.gif , see: http://www.crockpot.com/38501W.html

This looks tasty: http://www.crockpot.com/recipedetail.aspx?recipeid=307

Damn, they have travel bags and dust covers: http://www.rivalproducts.com/eStore/product.aspx?CatalogId=5&CategoryId=1202&ProductId=59
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:10 am
Just as long as it's programmable and has a removable crock. Those features are non-negotiable.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:16 am
Okay, hmm, this one is programmable, I'll check re removable crock.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:57 am
The original ones came as a single piece - I still have one at my cabin. Impossible to clean. Don't think they still make them like that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:19 pm
Hmm the above model says it has "Removable Stoneware" - I assume that's the removable crock?
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:46 pm
Tomkitten wrote:
cjhsa is quite right. Veggies aren't really suitable for ccockpot cookery. You'll get nothing but mush. The very best thing for most veggies, to my way of thinking, is the mocrowave - they come out just al dente, not tough, not squishy.

Not true at all if you know how to do it. Timing is everything. Depending on vegetable, they go in at different times.

Anon
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:47 pm
Well, the thing is, I don't want to have to babysit this. I'm at work all day, can't come home to toss in veggies at the right times. Hmmm.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:48 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Unfortunately Jespah, the thing they are best at is long cooking things like roasts - beef, lamb, pork, venison, etc. They don't come up to temp fast enough to cook raw chicken safely, and they do a lousy job on most fish.

Just cook it longer, or at a higher temp ... I have cooked Turkey, Chicken, Chicken and Rice comes out particularly well.

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:52 pm
jespah wrote:
Well, the thing is, I don't want to have to babysit this. I'm at work all day, can't come home to toss in veggies at the right times. Hmmm.

I use it a lot for things like potroasts which take a lot of time to cook well ... if you don't have time to babysit the vege's, cook those when you get home. I have to admit they do get mushy if they cook during the entire cycle. Some vege's will stay firm depending on how large you cut them.

Anon
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:56 pm
These are a lot of good ideas. Certainly I can toss the veggies in the microwave (the nuclear option Smile) once I get home and just use the CP for meats and perhaps taters. I like the idea of rice cooking well - it's not that I don't know how to cook rice, I just have zero patience for it these days, so it would be very helpful for it to actually cook properly without me having to deal with it.

Oh, and no matter what, a standard work day means I leave at about 6 AM and we don't eat dinner until maybe 7 or 8 PM, so I suspect pretty much anything in there will be cooked, even chicken.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:03 pm
Get a good crock pot recipe book. They are really good and can give you recipes and combinations that come out extremely well. I'm one of those "I love my crockpot types"!!

Anon
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:29 pm
crock pots
But if you have to keep putting in the various veggies at different times, isn't part of the point of the crock pot lost? I always felt that the convenience of the crock pot is that you set it and forget it.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:36 pm
Re: crock pots
Tomkitten wrote:
But if you have to keep putting in the various veggies at different times, isn't part of the point of the crock pot lost? I always felt that the convenience of the crock pot is that you set it and forget it.

You're right, and I don't fuss with it that much. I tend to cook on high heat which if you cut the vege's like carrots and potatos big enough they don't mushify. Since Jespah is gone so long, if she gets a programmable, she could do the same thing. I've cooked new potatos in it with potroast and they still come out with firm skins and pop when you cut them. Onions turn a little mushy, but that's ok by me! Carrots are still kinda firm. Let's face it, if you want vege's al dente', cook them when you get home!

Anon
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 02:42 pm
Some veggies are needed for flavor like onions, carrots and celery. Add those to the cp with everything else. If you want things like broccoli or peas, add them frozen right at the end. The stored heat will cook them perfectly. Some fresh veggies like asparagus that don't take alot of cooking can also be added a few minutes before serving. The same holds true for shrimp. The carryover heat is tremendous in these things.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm
This is good to know as I am home a bit before we eat. So I can do some end of prep time work.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:07 pm
You just have to remember who's boss. Once you get to know the machine, use it the way it works best for you.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:08 pm
You talkin' about your husband, Swimpy?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:38 pm
Him, too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:03 pm
Hey now. Laughing