Palestine: Screaming lack of geography education exposed!

nimh

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
I blame the government!

This is the story: Controversial drawings of the Muslim prophet Mohammed published last autumn by a Danish newspaper have triggered outrage, protests, boycotts in Middle East.

Ok...

Quote:
On Monday morning, some ten masked men armed with grenade launchers and assault rifles gathered outside the EU office where they fired their arms in the air. [They] read out from a prepared statement, before burning Norwegian and Danish flags in the street.

Quote:
[In a] fax sent to the Swedish consulate in Jerusalem [..] members of the al-Aqsa brigades claim that "the Danes and the Swedish, protected by their government, have put up posters insulting the prophet Mohammed."

"Within 48 hours, all Danes and Swedes must have left Palestinian ground, or else..." read the fax.

(link)

Quote:
On Monday, about 15 gunmen burst into the same EU offices and warned citizens of Denmark and Norway [..] not to enter Gaza until an apology was made.

The Norwegian government [..] has taken the threats from Palestinian militant groups seriously and it announced on Thursday that its mission in the West Bank had been closed to the public temporarily.

(link)

Quote:
Threat to Swedes May Be Misunderstanding
Radio Sweden

Swedish Foreign Minister Laila Freivalds says the government takes the threat against Swedes in the Palestinian territories very seriously.

The foreign ministry is advising against travel to Gaza and the West Bank until further notice. [..]

A spokesman for the Al-Aqsa Martyr's Brigade has told Swedish Television News that the threat against Sweden was due to a misunderstanding.

(link)

Denmark, Sweden, Norway ... whatever ;-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 895 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:21 am
They're all, like, blonde 'n' ****...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:23 am
Am I wrong? I thought images of people were prohibited whether insulting or not. Maybe I'm thinking of the zoroasters.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:26 pm
I can't cite chapter and verse, but my understanding that since Allah created the world, any depiction of any natural object is a sin because the artist seeks to rival Allah.

Perhaps objecting to Western culture--including Western views and opinions of Islamic culture--is the civilian front of the fanatic Islam war on the west?

Ignorance doesn't disqualify cultural warriors.

Remember the louts, loaded for bear, marching into Western bookstores after the fatwa against Salman Rushdie?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:19 pm
In the Middle ages it was the Catholic Church that ruled the Western world. It seems to me that the most intolerant religion always rules after a struggle. Today the most rigid one is the Muslim faith.
Violent protests over the publication of editorial cartoons showing the Prophet Muhammad are gaining momentum, with activists threatening to launch "a day of anger" across Europe and the Muslim world.

The caricatures were originally printed in a Danish newspaper last fall, causing minor protests, but their republication by a Norwegian paper in December fired up the anger of Muslims again.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/02/03/cartoon-controversy060203.html
In my book it is Denmark that has shown the world the tolerance, compassion and courage that marks great people. What the Danes did under threat of death is a shining example to all other nations.
Denmark was the only occupied country that actively resisted the Nazi regime's attempts to deport its Jewish citizens. On September 28, 1943, Georg Ferdinand Duckwitz, a German diplomat, secretly informed the Danish resistance that the Nazis were planning to deport the Danish Jews. The Danes responded quickly, organizing a nationwide effort to smuggle the Jews by sea to neutral Sweden. Warned of the German plans, Jews began to leave Copenhagen, where most of the 8,000 Jews in Denmark lived, and other cities, by train, car, and on foot. With the help of the Danish people, they found hiding places in homes, hospitals, and churches. Within a two-week period fishermen helped ferry 7,220 Danish Jews and 680 non-Jewish family members to safety across the narrow body of water separating Denmark from Sweden.
http://www.ushmm.org/outreach/denmark.htm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:40 pm
Oh, thanks for popping up this thread Delano. It turns out that after the high-circulation Danish Jyllands Posten published the cartoons last autumn, a small Norwegian Christian weekly (Magazinet) had already reprinted them three weeks or so ago as well. So that they burnt Norwegian flags too was in any case not a question of geographic ignorance.

Al-Aqsa Martyr's Brigade's geographical "misunderstanding" re: Sweden remains pretty hilarious tho... ;-)

Of course, this week at least 13 newspapers from at least 9 countries around Europe reprinted the cartoons as well, so I suppose its time to get busy for the martyrs...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:43 pm
I am beginning to understand why the Muslims, because of their hatred of Bush, are beginning to attack stupid people everywhere.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:44 pm
All religious fanatics scare the hell out of me.

They are not normal, following orders is not an intelligent way to live. The ayatollahs are in charge of the masses.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:45 pm
Oh, in a minute I'll post a couple of summaries from interesting news stories about this controversy on the other, more serious (well, slightly, at the rare moments that it keeps on-topic) thread on it: Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 07:42 pm
nimh wrote:
Oh, in a minute I'll post a couple of summaries from interesting news stories about this controversy on the other, more serious (well, slightly, at the rare moments that it keeps on-topic) thread on it: Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!

Ack - go here instead, its a better thread (I've cross-posted the summaries there too): BLASPHEMY
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 11:06 am
Re: Palestine: Screaming lack of geography education exposed
nimh wrote:
I blame the government!

Denmark, Sweden, Norway ... whatever ;-)

Also, there've been burnings of the Israeli flag. Dang, people, we don't even look like 'em!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
Well, remember back in the USSR in the days of "spontaneous" demonstrations?

I think we know where the rabble rousers wound up.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 01:14 pm
The Islamists cry to heaven that we mustr espect their faith, which prescribes that images of men and animals are ideolatry (no matter that islamic works have frequently printed images of Muhammaed in the past). But not one of them has shown any respect for what is law and right in my/our countries.

And they all seem to shout (see e.g. the BBC have your say pages) that Islam is such a tolerant religion that respects other religions so much. Well, that is pure bull. Try as a non-muslim to marry a muslim from a strict background. Try walking with a Bible in Saudi Arabia. Ask anyone from the Baha'i faith how Islam has treated them over the past 100 years. Ask any faction within Islam what they think of other factions (i.e. sunni or Shia, etc.) and you will find out just how tolernat Islam really is. This is not a surprise to us outside observers, but the islamists, while clubbing down thse who oppose their views are brainwashed to think that Islam is benign and a religion of peace.

Freedom of expression is a right that our ancestors have fought long and hard for at the cost of many thousands of deaths. No ignorant Qu'ran thumbing fanatic is going to make me give up that right!

I refer to the wikipedia pages about the publications in Jyllands Posten about the background to the publication and the truth about how the riots were incited.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 04:20 pm
Paaskynen, I think you've summerized the situation quite well.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:23 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I am beginning to understand why the Muslims, because of their hatred of Bush, are beginning to attack stupid people everywhere.

You're nothing if not reliable.
0 Replies