Do you really care about the Oscars?

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:02 am
I have watched the Oscars in the past, but for the past few years have had no desire to watch them at all. IMO, it is nothing more than self-aggrandizing for all of the hollywood elites. In reality, they make movies that provide entertainment... nothing more. Yet, for some reason the Oscars are always big news.

So, do you look forward to the Oscars? Do you really care who wins the Oscar for Achievement in sound mixing?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,485 • Replies: 37
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:08 am
I haven't seen a current movie in at least a year so I really don't care this year. Typically I simply don't care.

But Jon Stewart is hosting so I may tune in.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:09 am
I don think its a big deal but I love seeing what the ladies are wearing and Im always glad when brilliant actor/actress gets an award that they deserve, especially a Brit!

In their defence, ok they get a load of money but acting isnt a secure job.
Fair enough, in relation to people that work down mines or nurses they dont have tough jobs but they do work very long hours and I doubt that having nice clothes or great places to live count more than someone saying 'well done, your very good at your job'.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 10:16 am
I'd trade in somebody telling me that I did a nice job for a bunch of nice clothes and a great place to live.

Lots of people work long hours and don't ever get a big fancy award show to give them the credit they derserve... like nurses helping to save peoples lives or miners risking their lives to give us the electricity we demand.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:01 pm
We always have an Academy Awards party.
We all dress up and I even put a red carpet
on the porch. We each have a ballot which
we fill out before the show starts and everyone
puts 5 bucks in a jar, the person with the most
matches wins the pot. So yes I do care and I'll
be watching.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:09 pm
Is it more of an excuse for a fun social gathering or are you actually interested in what goes on at the Oscars?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:19 pm
Well, JP. I enjoy seeing talent recognized in any area, but I rarely go out to the movies now, so I take a brief peek at the contenders to see if those whom I think are talented are likewise appreciated by experts.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
I don't give a damn, and have never watched it.

I kind of often see some of the results in the papers, though.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:52 pm
Ya know, not so much, really.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:05 pm
I am really looking forward to Jon Stewart hosting and I think anyone who doesn't realize it, there have been more independent films getting nominated that are not Hollywood products per se. The movies up for awards are distinctly not just for entertainment -- they are for people who like their films to have some intelligent depth. Sound mixing Oscars are not featured on the show -- they run through the technical list of awards in less than five minutes. This was done years ago to shorten the show.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

I care about the smaller catagories;
Animation feature and shorts
Docs
Shorts
make-up
special effects
But it is also a good excuse to party. None of my friends are the least interested in sports so this
is our "SuperBowl" party
0 Replies

kermit

most of the parts are kind of boring, like when the presenters don't know what the heck they are doing or the teleprompter goes off or something, but i do have to agree that everyone's dresses are quite entertaining and also there are quite a few talents to be recognized - like Ang Lee, Felicity Huffman, etc. etc. AND this year, all i have to say is JON STEWART!!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:06 pm
Fashion Island in Newport Beach where the gallery is located I work for is having a huge Oscar party in the Atrium court.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:17 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I am really looking forward to Jon Stewart hosting and I think anyone who doesn't realize it, there have been more independent films getting nominated that are not Hollywood products per se. The movies up for awards are distinctly not just for entertainment -- they are for people who like their films to have some intelligent depth.

Independent... Hollywood... it's all self-aggrandizing nonsense.

No matter how artful or thoughtful movies are, LW, they are made for entertainment sake. I might agree with you a little bit if you argued that some documentaries are more than just entertainment, but lets face it, most of us don't go to the theaters for intellectual fulfillment.

Lightwizard wrote:
Sound mixing Oscars are not featured on the show -- they run through the technical list of awards in less than five minutes. This was done years ago to shorten the show.

Well, I really don't care about best actress/actor/supporting role/movie either. It just all seems so... useless.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:30 pm
Then watch something else. It is beginning to look like your post is just trolling for trouble.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:34 pm
I do watch something else.

Am I trolling for trouble because I disagree with you?
If you don't like it, go watch something else.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:43 pm
Seriously, LW, what do you get out of watching the Oscars?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:43 pm
I don't watch it, but I'd hardly write off the entire film industry as nonsensical. I'm not sure what others seek, but I can get as much out of a film as a good book. It would make as much sense to dismiss literature as worthless.

But sure, the award ceremony is overblown. I doubt anyone would argue with that...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:47 pm
The Oscars can be entertaining if the show is put together well which isn't always the case. Because film is a popular art form doesn't make it, as D'artagnan points out, "nonsensical." You perhaps haven't seen the films that are up for awards. Never has there been a group of more intellectually thoughtful films up for awards. It's been a great year for the movies. I think Paulene Kael, if she were alive, would even be impressed. Let's hope for more films that aren't just for entertainment but have something to say about society and the human condition. See "Crash," or "Brokeback Mountain."
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:47 pm
The award ceremony is what Iam talking about, D'art. I enjoy movies and go to them often. I just don't understand all of the hullabaloo that comes with the Oscars every year.
0 Replies