yitwail

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:07 pm
a Syrian TV program depicted rabbis as cannibals, and an Iranian paper has started a Holocaust cartoon contest.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:01 pm
detano inipo wrote:
nimh, I don't quite understand what you are trying to say.

I don't quite understand how your post relates to mine... ?

I was quite specifically addressing the claims of Ayaan Hirsi Ali that I quoted (which you had posted here). I've already expounded my views on Muslim rioters burning down embassies (bad) and marching with placards demanding death and destruction (also bad) at length in the ten or so threads about this subject. Here, I was specifically answering to Hirsi Ali's claims.

She says "a culture of self-censorship of criticism of Islam pervades Holland". That is bull. If there has been one issue dominating every single day's headlines on TV and in the press in Holland, it is the real and perceived wrongs of Islam, Muslims and Moroccans. Not least thanks to the ample media coverage she herself can be sure to get, month in, month out.

I dont necessarily begrudge her that attention; unlike the white crypto-racists that pervade the far right, she is obviously a woman on a heartfelt, fundamentally idealistic mission. But you can not get the media spotlight every week with your criticism of Islam, and simultaneously claim that a culture of self-censorship regarding criticism of Islam pervades the country. If that were true, she wouldnt be quoted or featured every week.

On the second count, Der Spiegel suggests that Muslims, too, should be able to protect themselves against slander, just like the Jews, say, and she counters with an argument that IMO is inconsistent - in two ways, no less.

She says derisively that when radical Imams deride Jews and Christians, we "say they're just exercising their freedom of speech", and she calls this attitude "the West prostrating itself".

So she's against that, I gather; feels that we shouldnt just accept that as an exercise of freedom of speech.

Then, her argument for that is that "the Islamists dont allow their critics the same right either". Thats two logical fallacies in one, IMO.

To begin with the latter one: since when is the argument that the Islamists wouldnt allow their critics the freedom of speech an argument for us to no longer allow it ours, either? Isnt the difference between their values and ours in this regard the very thing we're fighting for?

Secondly, how can she demand a clampdown on what radical imams say, and at the same time demand freedom for our cartoonists to cause whatever offense? I mean, for sure you could set benchmarks of some sort (offending and insulting, yes, threatening with murder, no), but then you'd have to specify what you're talking about - as it stands, this argument is just not logical - and IMO wrong as well, and thats what I was responding to.

The things you mention, well, thats the whole general story, and we've gone through that a dozen times already. My post was about Hirsi Ali's claims here, specifically.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:22 pm
It seems now that it (the cartoons) was a CIA plot to bring the Western nations to side against Islamic Nations.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:35 am
yitwail wrote:
a Syrian TV program depicted rabbis as cannibals, and an Iranian paper has started a Holocaust cartoon contest.

Ah, yes...

http://www.filibustercartoons.com/comics/20060204.gif

So it would seem that the guy who drew this was rather astute.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:22 am
The #1 sin in a dictatorship is 'criticizing'.

You say something against the leader and soon you are led away and punished.

In a democracy you can call the leader all kinds of names and nothing happens to you.

Islam is a dictatorship. Christianity is a democracy.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:22 am
i don't know, muslims might find that offensive--the swastikas are drawn backwards, for example
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
detano inipo wrote:

Well, well, I could name at least a handfull dictators from the last couple of decades who were Christians.

(And I've never noted that any Christian elected her/his God - seems to be always the very same.)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(And I've never noted that any Christian elected her/his God - seems to be always the very same.)

Didn't the Christians decide Jesus to be Divine and not mortal at the council of nicea

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/augustine/arch/sbrandt/nicea.htmin 323 ad?

Jesus was pronounced officially divine by a show of hands. Sounds democratic to me Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:42 am
Of course, how could I forget.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
detano inipo wrote:
The #1 sin in a dictatorship is 'criticizing'.

You say something against the leader and soon you are led away and punished.

In a democracy you can call the leader all kinds of names and nothing happens to you.

Oh yeah. As proven by the Polish newspaper editor who was taken to court over "offending the dignity of the Pope", or by the Austrian cartoonist who was sent to prison in Greece for depicting Jesus Christ in a demeaning manner - both last year.

Righto.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:03 pm
Quote:
Editors of small NY paper quit over cartoon veto

08 Feb 2006 19:18:44 GMT

Source: Reuters

NEW YORK, Feb 8 (Reuters) - The editors of a New York alternative newspaper which drew criticism last year for making light of Pope John Paul's failing health resigned on Wednesday over what they called their managers' refusal to publish controversial cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammad.

The cartoons, one of which showed the Prophet Mohammad with a turban resembling a bomb, have sparked fury from some Muslims and violent protests at Danish embassies and other European targets in the Middle East.

In an article on the New York Observer's Web site on Wednesday, Harry Siegel said that he and three colleagues on the editorial board of the New York Press resigned after being ordered not to print the cartoons in an issue dedicated to the controversy.

Managers at the New York Press were not immediately available for comment.

The cartoons were first published by the Danish Jyllands-Posten newspaper last September but the row erupted in earnest late last month and several European newspapers have since reprinted them in what they say is a defense of free speech. Moderate Muslim groups have condemned the violence and urged restraint.

For many Muslims, Islam forbids images of the Prophet.

Only a handful of U.S. newspapers have reprinted the cartoons, which have been circulated widely on the Internet.

The New York Press is a small alternative publication with a history of needling authority. Last year it came under fire for making light of the failing health of Pope John Paul II in a column headlined "The 52 Funniest Things About the Upcoming Death of the Pope." Then-editor Jeff Koyen was reprimanded and chose to quit rather than accept a suspension.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:42 pm
Thanks Walter interesting
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:10 pm
The newspapers that do not reprint the cartoons are putting reason before invitation to more violence.

If you have a road rage moron with a baseball bat, why do you want to give him the finger? All you do is make him even more idiotic.

In a Western country, all violent demostrators should be jailed and even deported. They have broken the law.

Clerics that teach violence need to be put behind bars as well.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:50 pm
One side is trying to calm down the situation while the other one is pouring oil on the fire.

The chasm is getting bigger every day.
Iran Manipulates Cartoon Conflict.

The decision by Iran's biggest newspaper to start a contest for Holocaust cartoons has been met with disbelief in Germany. Policy-makers and political scientists speak of a despicable reaction to the Mohammed cartoons.

Deputy Foreign Minister Gernot Erler said he's gravely worried about the Holocaust cartoon contest in the Iranian newspaper Hamshari. The daily claims that the contest would reveal just how serious the West really is about the freedom of the press.

But Erler said he believes that the Iranian government is behind the Holocaust competition, as it is clearly capitalizing on the current conflict for its own political purposes.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,1896935,00.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 07:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
No, because they are free agents, who have chosen their reaction. If, however, what you say is an incitement to violence, and someone else acts upon the incitement, then you are liable for that incitement. It is not the simple speech, but its character as willful incitement which matters.

Could the cartoon be considered libelous? Or are religious superheros not considered targets of libel?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 08:10 am
I didnt think it possible to libel a dead person.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:31 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I didnt think it possible to libel a dead person.

Ok. Blaspheeeeeeme away then Wink
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:23 am
Hmmmm

Where to start...Smile

Actually I wouldn't blaspheeeme...its not polite. But that doesnt stop me from criticising bad ideas, because some ideas - lets face it - ARE BAD.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:50 pm
All this pandering to Islams over these cartoons is sickening. The simple fact is, if Muslim countries didn't control 3/4 of the world's oil, we would tell them to kiss our collective butts.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:52 pm
BTW, does anyone know where I can see the cartoons in question?
0 Replies