I/O error?

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 10:12 pm
What is an I/O error? (or an IS/O error) .. I was trying to backup some DVDs on my hard drive and it suddenly stopped (after being slow) and said that it cannot continue due to an I/O error ...

What the heck is that??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 700 • Replies: 7
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:47 pm
I/O errors and ISO errors are 2 entirely different things. Off the toppa my head, I'm gonna guess its an ISO error indicating a problem finalizing the disk - but lets see some more info. At what point in the burning process did the error occur, what other applications dd you have running while doing the burn, etc etc etc . If you could report the verbatim error message you receive and the exact conditions at time of occurrance, we likely will have a better idea of what your problem is and how to go about resolving it.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:21 am
Hello,
an I/O error is an input/output error. Thus a problem reading your disc which means a problem with the disc or disc drive.

ISO is for the "international organization for standardization", ISO 9660 is the standard that defines a file system for CD-ROM media.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:20 pm
Oh ok well..
The error happens when im BACKING UP my DVD into the hard drive, using the "DVD Shrink" program. The error takes place when the backup has reached 2% .. not more than that. No other programs are running..it is simply the dvd drive and the program.

I can smell it is a pure hardware problem with my DVD drive. Is that true?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:33 pm
May or may not indicate a hardware problem What happens when you try to burn something other than a backup?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:54 pm
It could be a space issue or a problem writing to the directory or file it's trying to write to -- like a permissions problem.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:19 am
Sherlock Homes once said (something like this) when you can eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, is invariably the right answer.

I guess you have already tried another disk and eliminated the disk as the possible problem.

Next burn another program to a disk and verify the CD Rom is ok.

If the first two are ok, we can deduce the problem is with the program you are trying to shrink has a problem(perhaps it doesn't want to be shrinked)
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:43 am
solved...i formatted the whole pc and installed windows XP again...enough headaches..ive had it with those wacky instrunments :s grrrr lol
0 Replies