Does sexual frustration lead to greater desire for religion?

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:32 pm
Eorl,

I'm puzzled at your response. Do you think that because believers believe in forgiveness for their sins that they probably sin more or feel they can do it and just ask for forgiveness later?

Not so. Our reptentance must be sincere. Part of that repentance is doing our best to not commit those acts again. Being a believer does not give one license to sin. Anyone that thinks it does obviously is not understanding something IMO.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:38 pm
Yes Momma that is exactly what I'm saying (although it may not be concious, and everybody is different anyway)

Going to gym this afternoon does not mean that I'm going to be any healthier by eating cake this morning either.

I think that when you go ahead and "sin" even when you know it's wrong....you are at least aware that you can be forgiven later.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:43 pm
Eorl,

Well, I won't deny that it might be part of my subconscious thinking and I won't deny that while in a fit of anger and I know I am doing wrong that I don't have that thought of I'm going to have to pay for this later, because I have. I do my best to not make a habit out of it though. If I were to get into the habit of sinning while thinking I could just be forgiven for it later, I'd be in big trouble. It's about changing your life to be a better person, not excusing yourself for doing wrong things.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:02 pm
That's very honest of you Momma, thankyou. It does indeed confirm what I'm suggesting.

Do you think that in some people, that the same thinking taken to extremes could actually tip the balance into, for example, going ahead with a serious crime? (Church-going mafia spring to mind)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:17 pm
Eorl,

I am not discounting that at all. That's what I mean by it could get me into big trouble. Of course, using "well, I'm forgiven" could give anyone license to do what they want. Well, they would think that but it's not true.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:25 pm
I agree Momma. You can probably see why it's possible (not certain...just possible) for an atheist to be MORE moral than a Christian given the same temptation.

When they also have the excuse of thinking (wrongly I know) "the devil made me do it" or even "God made me a sinner", it breaks down the resistance even further.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:35 pm
Eorl,

There are a lot of things about atheists that I understand now that I didn't. Having a lot of my questions answered on A2K really helped.

I certainly can see why so many feel the way they do. I can't say that I blame them either. The "devil made me do it" thing. I don't say that. The devil doesn't make me do a thing. I choose to do wrong when I do it. I may not think about it a lot before I do it, some things you just do and then realize what you did. But, it's not the devil doing it. It's me ignoring what is right and doing wrong.

Oh, and BTW, I am pretty much persona non grata around here right now. I will certainly understand if you feel the same way.
0 Replies

Redeemed

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:02 pm
I agree with Momma. It's true -- knowing that I can be forgiven tomorrow might influence the way I act today. I'm ashamed to admit that I have thought that way before. I have to recognize that God doesn't just give grace in order that we might be forgiven -- He also gives grace so that we can become more like Him in right actions and attitudes (which is the whole point anyway). That doesn't give any license to sin at all. Also, my wrongdoing can never be attributed to Satan. Satan may tempt me, but the choice is always mine.

And about the sexual gratification thing: In my experience with God, I have discovered that following Him is not at all a suppression or denial of desire (sexual or otherwise). It is about first finding the root of the desire and then discovering the real fulfillment of it, and the right time of fulfillment. Sexual desire is a gift from God, but (according to the Bible) God has given a specific and clear context in which that desire may be met. So it has been with all my desires. And I find my desires much more satisfied when I fulfill them within the context God has given.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:37 pm
Momma, I have JW's in my family so I understand that good-hearted people that I love will go door to door to "help" other people see what they see.

One of my goals is for theists, esp. Christians to understand what and how atheists think and how you can infringe their rights without even being aware of it, and you have helped me to do that ....by listening and arguing ....and I'm certain you make a serious effort to understand.

So no, I don't have a problem with you. I respect the fact that you would have everyone know "the love of your god" and that your intent is basically "good", if from my POV, misguided.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:43 pm
Eorl,

You are a gentleman. Thank you. I appreciate your understanding.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:50 pm
Momma just needs to get laid!

Anon
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:51 pm
You're welcome. Smile

Now to the topic at hand....

So can you see then, that two identical men faced with a temptation to sin....one Christian, one not....that it is possible that the Christian may go ahead and the other not, just because the Christian has the expectation that he can ask for forgiveness later and/or that the devil is responsible for the desire within him?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:59 pm
Eorl,

Yes, I can see that. I can certainly agree with that situation. I wouldn't say it is a general thing about all Christians or non-Christians though, would you?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:10 am
Eorl wrote:
You're welcome. Smile

Now to the topic at hand....

So can you see then, that two identical men faced with a temptation to sin....one Christian, one not....that it is possible that the Christian may go ahead and the other not, just because the Christian has the expectation that he can ask for forgiveness later and/or that the devil is responsible for the desire within him?

Absolute rubbish
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:42 am
Do tell Intrepid?

Momma, no I wouldn't.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:45 am
Eorl wrote:
I think that when you go ahead and "sin" even when you know it's wrong....you are at least aware that you can be forgiven later.

Thats what Protestant and secular Dutchmen always said about Catholics: that they were a little, eh, easier on the morals because you know - they could just confess and be forgiven again anyway. Fairly deep-rooted popular stereotype: those Romish, oh oh oh!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:45 am
Eorl,

I am glad to hear that.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 02:49 am
CoastalRat wrote:
Ok flushd, I gotta ask. When you see someone who has a great deal of religious fervor, do you run up to them and ask if they are sexually frustrated? If not, I'm just curious as to how you know they are?

Sometimes I'll ask them straight out about their sex lives, yeah.
Other times, I'm making some assumptions based on how they are acting.

Phoenix, good post. I agree; even about the part where I am looking at a tree rather than the forrest.

It was mostly a drifting thought.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 09:31 pm
hmmm interesting spin-off idea...

Do you think Christian men are more likely to expect Christian wives to forgive them?...Perhaps that lowers the defences even more !!!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:40 am
flushd wrote:
Does sexual frustration lead to greater desire for religion?
You could ask the priest; but I don't recommend it.
0 Replies