Does sexual frustration lead to greater desire for religion?

flushd

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:31 am
Yes. I'm being serious.

I've been observing people. Maybe it's just the folks that I have come across, but there seems to be a correlation between sexual frustration and extreme religious fervour.

I am certainly not claiming that everyone who practises a religion is sexually frustrated. It's just something I have noticed.

Do you think there is anything to this?

I've been thinking......maybe a lot of our problems in this world have very simply solutions.

Maybe if everyone was sexually satisfied we'd see a lot less of the negative behavior so often linked with religious ideals/political ideals.

What's your say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,281 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:45 am
I'm not sure whether sexual frustration leads ONLY to a desire for religeon.
I believe that it can help someone on the road towards SOME form of obsession, though.....and I count any religeous fanatic as someone who has an obsession.
Someone who devotes their whole life to making and collecting model railways for instance, and can think or talk of nothing else, is probably gagging for a good woman, IMO.

An orgasm a day keeps the psychiatrist away.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:54 am
Good point.

The obsession could be anything really - your kids, tv shows, souping up vehicles.

hmm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:57 am
flushd- I think that you are observing only part of the picture. IMO, people who exhibit extreme religious fervor are using religion to compensate for some lack in their lives. Sexual frustration may be the reason for some. The sexual frustration may be a result (not the cause) of a deficiency in a person's personal or professional life.

Take a look at whom the extreme religious groups attempt to proselytize. They look for the very poor, the alcoholic, the drug addict, the emotionally disturbed, the "outsider". They go after the older adolescent, (especially college students) who are at a point where they are having difficulty grappling with the meaning of their lives.

There are many fulfilled people, who derive great happiness from their religion. Those folks are not the ones about which I am referring. To these kinds of people, their religion is simply one part of the rich tapestry of their existence.

It is the ones who use religion as the nexus of their lives........................because the community that extreme religions offer give their empty lives some meaning.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:10 am
Ok flushd, I gotta ask. When you see someone who has a great deal of religious fervor, do you run up to them and ask if they are sexually frustrated? If not, I'm just curious as to how you know they are?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:35 am
I agree with Phon (this seems to be a developing trend....)
I would say it isn't just the denial of sexual gratification that feeds the religious illness, but the denial of our desires in all facets.
Indulgence is much more fulfilling and imo healthy than abstinence.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:39 am
There are definitely ways to glean it without asking directly, CoastalRat. (It's something I've noticed, too.) Like, being religiously fervent and then ALSO complaining about the impossibility of finding a girlfriend (this seems to be more of a phenomenon with men than women...)
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:43 pm
No, I'm sorry Soz. In the initial post, it is sexual frustration that is being linked to religious fervor. I submit that sexual frustration, as I would define it, has nothing to do with not being able to find a girlfriend/boyfriend. The premise that you put forth that you can know someone is sexually frustrated because of complaints about the difficulty of finding a girlfriend is bull. Of course, that is simply my opinion, so please don't take it personally. Cause I really like you guys.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:00 pm
I was angling my words in a more PG direction -- the person I'm thinking of made it very clear that he was sexually frustrated. I didn't have to ask him, was my point.

Overall, I agree most with Phoenix's take.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:09 pm
Energy has to go someplace.

Human beings have limited amounts of time, money and energy.

Given an hour, $10, and a desire to accomplish something, I'm much more likely to buy and read a paperback than visit a bar or a soup kitchen.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
It could well be the other way around. Religious fervour causing the sexual frustration. There are some rules you gotta follow that have some nasty side effects (biologically speaking).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
There's that too!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
I think there's something to the proclivity of religious people, especially Baptists (stricter), that lends credence to Phoenix' thesis. I can't TELL you how many men, who portray themselves to be a Christian standard bearer, have dropped the charade, and tried to get Mommy's pootytang.

Why the pretense?

All men want it--Christians are no different. But, why pretend to be one thing, when you're another? Therein lies what pisses me off.

AND THEN, act as though GAYS are especially bad. At least they're honest about who they are.

<broil>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
Ah-- I shouldn't have said especially Baptists--that would be within the Christian religion.

Fundamentalist Muslims are pretty horrid. The lengths they go to to dominate women sexually may top everything.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:56 pm
Lash, seems to me like those kinda men don't get "lustful" all on their own, they have an external force (ie satan) to blame for that...they are really just the victims. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
Eorl- Is what you are saying sort of "the devil made me do it" concept? IMO, that is evading personal responsibility.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:02 pm
Yes exactly Phoenix...and even if you do accept responsiblity, you always have option of being forgiven anyway.

Slightly off topic: I saw a reality TV show recently where a Mormon Mom & Dad give permission to their Morman daughter to go out and sin for the day (shopping) as long as she promised to go to church and be forgiven tomorrow.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:06 pm
Eorl wrote:
Lash, seems to me like those kinda men don't get "lustful" all on their own, they have an external force (ie satan) to blame for that...they are really just the victims. Rolling Eyes

I'll give you credit for biting sarcasm. We have at least one thing in common! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 07:09 pm
Eorl- Does that really make any sense to you? First, what in the world is wrong with shopping, for Pete's sake?

Look at what is happening. The girl is permitted to do something, but has to go to church to be "forgiven". She is put in a position where guilt is engendered in her, which can be expiated by praying in church.

Do you know the most efficient way to control people? Make them feel guilty, and you have them in your pocket. That is the stock in trade of many religious groups. They put people in a position of simply doing things that humans do, make them feel guilty about it, and thereby control them. Does that sound very loving to you?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 08:28 pm
Phoenix,

No it makes no sense to me at all. The Mormon thing I assume had something to do with vanity and spendthriftiness and all on the sabbath...who knows?

If anything it reinforces a theory I have that people who believe in the concept of being forgiven for their sins are more likely to do so (sin) with a background awareness that they can later be absolved, like buying sins "on credit" as it were....like eating cake because I'm going to gym this afternoon, for example.
0 Replies