Need help repairing space bar on laptop

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:45 pm
Well I have an old IBM 600E, and I broke the space bar completely off. I've tried fixing it, but no go. I was wondering if maybe I could assign a different key to use as the spacebar?....I mean, its still works by pushing on the little knobby thing, but its not very convenient. not sure if i can plug a normal keyboard in? I'm running windows 2000 now, unfortunately.....lol
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 668 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
Depending on whether or not the keyboard mounting tabs for the space bare were damaged, you might be able to find a replacement part through a used-computer/computer parts vendor; there are plenty of them out there. And, if your machine has a PS2 port, there should be no problem connecting a standalone outboard keybboard. A USB keyboard might be another option, though I've seen instances where USB keyboards interfere with booting - they generally work OK if not connected untill after the machine has booted if that comes up, which it doesn't always. Finally, an entire replacement keyboard assembly might be available, generally those run around $100 US or so, depending on make and model, but installing one is definitely a technogeek process.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:57 am
Timber, sorry it took so long to reply. The mounting tabs are not broken, i'll just have to look around for a part. In the mean time i'll just hook up an external keyboard. Still too bad I can't just assign a different key as the space bar...like TAB or something....ohwell, that you for your help!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:02 am
Well, you kinda sorta can - it involves some precise registry editing, and I've never done it - there also are 3rd-party applications that will do that for you, but I've never used any of them, either, so I'm not gonna volunteer any opinions, tips, or info.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:12 am
InTraNsiTiOn wrote:
Timber, sorry it took so long to reply. The mounting tabs are not broken, i'll just have to look around for a part. In the mean time i'll just hook up an external keyboard. Still too bad I can't just assign a different key as the space bar...like TAB or something....ohwell, thank you for your help!
0 Replies