Muscle Spasm

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:15 am
Can anybody explain (the science of it?) to me why putting a heating pad or heat over a muscle spasm softens it up?

I thought putting ice over it would soften it up. Three doctors told me that too... I went on the net and looked at the gel pad package and they all said to put heat on it. At first I tried ice for a week... nothing. After I heated for a weak and 90% of the spasm is gone. How so? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 599 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JPB

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
dunno, wong. I had severe back spasms last year and although I felt better after applying heat, the spasms didn't stop until I gave up on the heat and used 10 minutes on - 10 minutes off ice every waking hour for about three days. After three days I switched to heat and it was fine. Maybe the fact that you were icing it and then switched to heat worked for you too.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Try getting more potassium in your diet (bananas are a good source, there are also potassium pills you can take). Exercise is also a good cure for spasms... and don't forget to stretch afterwards.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
... and if it's back spasms you're having, make sure you strengthen you abs. Most back spasms are result of having weak abs, which I unfortunately found out the hard way.
0 Replies

AbleIIKnow wong

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
Yeah, I know what you mean luckily I have decent abs.... my back had minor pain when I got into vigorous exercise and healed pretty quickly... I guess that's thanks in part to my decent abs.
0 Replies