Ignorance: Necessary Condition for Brainwashing

coberst

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 04:59 am
if we are able to arouse our curiosity, guard our most precious concerns from blatant manipulation by others.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 862 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:29 am
curiosity - I knew I was on the right track.

curiouser and curiouser.
You're right, the more curious you are the more likely you are to look for multiple possibilities to a question.
Oft times you'll find more than one answer fits the question.
It's instilled in you that it's unlikely there is just one way to view something.

I find that my curiosity really annoys some people. Thinking about it, they are generally those who think black and white and don't want to view the possibility of grey.

That's too much like work, and might cause them to change their minds and move from their comfortable little burrow.

Very interesting.

thanks coberst.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:55 am
My pleasure Chai.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:32 am
Yes. That is why religion has always been able to make converts in undeveloped regions of the world.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:36 am
au1929 wrote:
Yes. That is why religion has always been able to make converts in undeveloped regions of the world.

like Mississippi?

OH!
Sorry, I didn't say that.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:38 am
It is not my purpose in life to answer questions, my purpose is to question answers.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:51 am
Quote:
brain·wash·ing (brān'wŏsh'ĭng, -wô'shĭng)
n.
1-Intensive, forcible indoctrination, usually political or religious, aimed at destroying a person's basic convictions and attitudes and replacing them with an alternative set of fixed beliefs.

2-The application of a concentrated means of persuasion, such as an advertising campaign or repeated suggestion, in order to develop a specific belief or motivation.

Quote:
The term "brainwashing" is a relatively new term in the English language. Before 1950, it did not exist. Earlier forms of coercive persuasion had been seen during the Inquisition, the show trials against "enemies of the state" in the Soviet Union, etc., but no specific term emerged until the methodologies of these earlier movements were systematized during the early decades of the People's Republic of China for use in their struggles against internal class enemies and foreign invaders. Until that time, descriptions were limited to concrete descriptions of specific techniques.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainwashing#Origin_of_the_term

The term "brainwashing", definition #2, is what I believe is to what you are referring. But the original meaning of brainwashing, definition #1 was the meaning with which I was most familiar. It was first used during the Korean war, and accounted for a number of American defections to the Commmunists during that period. The brainwashing involved sleep deprivation, torture, and other extraordinary methods of breaking a person down, and then filling them with the desired concepts.

An interesting (and great) film about brainwashing is the ORIGINAL (the remake was awful) "The Manchurian Candidate".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056218/

Just thought that you would find that bit of history interesting.

Anyhow, I agree with you that people who know that they are being brainwashed, cannot be brainwashed, but only to an extent. There are some, whose minds are so pliable to suggestion, who have no strong beliefs of their own, that they can be pawns of anyone who can exert a significant force over them. In other words, for some, the propaganda artist is merely filling a vacuum.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:05 am
I think if a person has a good sense of self, you cannot brainwash that person. Ignorance, abuse, etc., as means of brainwashing, only come later, when sense of self starts to fade.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
But someone can getted brainwashed from birth, never having a sense of self.

Interesting Phoenix, I wonder why some people are so much more pliable to suggestion?

I mean more in a biological sense. Do you think there is something genetic attached to this as well as phychological?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:33 am
For people with little education it is easier to fill the void than those who are well educated and can think and reason or are worldly wise.. Again that is why missionaries have success in the third world
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:47 am
Chai Tea wrote:
But someone can getted brainwashed from birth, never having a sense of self.

Interesting Phoenix, I wonder why some people are so much more pliable to suggestion?

Chai- I am a big believer in a very complex interaction of genetics and environment, that would impact on everything from health, personality, and the ability to be brainwashed.

Each person is born with a basic intelligence. In the early years, the relationship with parents has a great deal to do with how the child will develop. But despite all this, each individual has the capability to choose how he is going to deal with life.

A wonderful example of this is Craven, the creator of this site. He was raised in a cult, but had the gumption to pull himself away from it.

Are you familiar with Bruno Bettelheim? He was a psychologist who was in a concentration camp himself. He wrote a study of the prisoners at the camp, and described how the individual attitudes of the prisoners had a great deal to do with whether they survived the horrors of the camp.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm
No, I'm not familiar with him, but I'll have to make a note to read up.

Yeah, I just found that out about craven the other day when I was seaching for something else...his name popped up and I was intrigued.

Do you think the genetic part would go not just for cults or extreme situations like concentration camps?

Not to get going about myself, but when I look at my family dynamics I see that I just would not be quashed.

We were raised the same, the attempt being made not to question anything.
I'm the only one who 100% just would not go along with that, regardless of the consequences. Well, some things you put up with for self preservation of course. but I've often wondered why the others went along, the only difference I can see if I got some kind of recessive gene.

Maybe Craven had that gene to.....

Interesting, is there a thread that discusses his situation more?

Craven?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 03:44 pm
I think that there exists a reality out there that cannot be comprehended without study. Each of us needs to change our attitude regarding learning. Learning is a means for us to understand reality. Without study we know only the surface of reality.

Each of us needs to start today on changing our attitude toward learning. Our schooling has left us with a dangerous attitude toward learning. If we were to start with something that we are curious about, go to the library get a card and start the process of learning how to learn without a teacher holding your hand.

Pick something that interests you and start by developing a question then start with the library or the Internet and start your learning how to understand process. Like every thing it will start slowly but you will not regret it if you do get into this process. Consider that you are beginning a lifetime of learning to understand whatever you are interested in.
0 Replies