What's happening? Windows won't shut down...

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:50 am
I don't know if anyone can help me, but my computer acts up sometimes... Sometimes when I try to shut it dow it shuts down fine... but then other times when you click shut down nothing happens, and then I have to manually shut it down... When I click on shut down sometimes these SETUP.exe keep trying to close so windows wont shut down, and then sometimes it'll just run normally and it won't shut down until I do it manually... like it seems like there's spyware or adware screwing up my comp a bit, by I already have Spybot search and destroy, and Adaware SE Professional... any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 592 • Replies: 4
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 02:01 pm
A wide variety of things can result in Windows startup and shutdown errors. Some are software related, and may be with or without the presence of yuckware, others stem from peripherals and/or their software. To better understand your particular problem, and start you on the road to diagnosing and resolving it, it would be useful to know what specific version of Windows you're running, whether you recently have installed or uninstalled anything, and your current physical system configuration.

Jim Eshelman has an excellent page on Win9x Shutdown Error Troubleshooting and another on WinXP Shutdown/Restart Troubleshooting. Odds are the solution you're looking for is on the page appropriate to your version of Windows; you prolly won't hafta look any further.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:05 pm
Have you tried System Restore?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
System Restore isn't available on all Windows platforms, and even on those platforms which do have the feature it rarely has much effect on startup/shutdown errors.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 01:34 pm
You're right, but it doesn't hurt to try. (Actually, I don't think much of System Restore, but I always try it for problems anyway.)
0 Replies