Why do we think about stuff like this?

Lucien

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 08:05 pm
Ok, this applies to just about every single post in this forum. Why do we ponder these abstract things? Is it just boredom, or is there some purpose? And I guess the most important question is: If we make a decision about some philosophy, or have our own personal philosophies, how can we apply them to everyday life? Also, how can we make changes in our culture? Like, if we believe something is wrong, can we change it? Or is humanity too set in their ways? .................. Hmmm.......
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:34 pm
Re: Why do we think about stuff like this?
Lucien wrote:
Why do we ponder these abstract things? Is it just boredom, or is there some purpose?
The purpose is the biological imperative to enhance mating potentials.
Lucien wrote:
If we make a decision about some philosophy, or have our own personal philosophies, how can we apply them to everyday life?
We can best apply them to everyday life by maximizing the number of progeny that adhere to these views.
Lucien wrote:
Also, how can we make changes in our culture?
See the bit about maximizing the number of progeny……
Lucien wrote:
Like, if we believe something is wrong, can we change it?
Yes, see the bit about maximizing the number of progeny……
Lucien wrote:
Or is humanity too set in their ways?
No, see the bit about maximizing the number of progeny……

Or if you like, wait until the man-machine interface has advanced sufficiently so that the present day perspectives are out of date.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 04:51 am
Chum-

If you minimised the number of your progeny the world would be changed from what it would be if you maximised the number.

You're just trying to find philosophical excuses for sowing your seed with wild and promiscuous profilgacy in the best traditions of the discipline.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 04:58 am
Lucien, welcome to A2K. Philosophy gives us the opportunity to speak in tongues, buddy. The tongues of others, that is. <smile>
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 05:04 am
If you dont think and you dont air your own opinion there is no point in existing.

We post these forums because we are bored, we need advise, we need to complain, we need someone to say 'yes I think that way too', we seek approval, we seek punishment, we seek a blame shift, we seek friendship.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
there is only one reason. To realize that you don't know anything, and learn to cope with that. It is only when that is done that you can truly start to learn new things.

Once you've reached this point philosophy becomes useless to you, and it will be abandoned as so many toys we grow out of during our childhoods. It's like riding a bike. Once you got the balance you don't need the training wheels anymore.

Now, the real sad thing is those of us who never remove the training wheels, those who call themselves philosophers. And they are seen as authorities in their fields, wich is just horrenduous.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:32 am
Lucien, the answer is simple: Why not?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:35 am
the universe is bigger than you are, get over it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Lucien,

What a good question! I think sometimes we might get to analyzing every single little word and nuance and try to put a deeper meaning to it.

I like to learn new things. I like talking to a diverse group of people. Trust me, I am not quite so inquisitive in person, but human behavior absolutely fascinates me and A2K provides me with plenty of fascination.

Besides, where else can you meet a friendly and cute purple striped bug? :wink:
0 Replies

Letty

Cyracuz, Where have you been, Norway. Missed you.

The philosophy of missing is quite simple, really. <smile>
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
Exactl!Its interesting, weve got nothing better to do and its the only thing that stimulates our brains as our jobs clearly dont or we wouldnt be on the forum.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
Well, regarding philosophizing, we do that because I think we want to know more and more and so we brainstorm. As for applying our philosophy in life to our general everyday life, we don't have to go and find a way to apply it, if it's our philosophy in life, we are already applying it, following it, that's how it is our philosophy in life. As for changing anything in this world, if you're really determined and it's for a good cause and for the benefit of mankind, I'm sure you will succeed. I don't believe that, 'Nothing is impossible' but I do believe that if you strive hard and persevere, you can accomplish what you set out to accomplish.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 02:13 pm
spendius wrote:
You're just trying to find philosophical excuses for sowing your seed with wild and promiscuous profilgacy in the best traditions of the discipline.
Guilty as charged, but it was a chuckle trying to rationalize it Laughing
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Fri 27 Jan, 2006 11:12 pm
Lucien,
Why do you wonder about why we wonder about this stuff? It's the same thing! The fact that you wonder why we're wondering is much the same as wondering yourself. Perhaps even more pointless Wink
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 09:40 am
Hi Letty. Been here in Norway. It's the dark season here, so we're all a little sleepy. Smile
0 Replies