Jesus...fact or fiction?

vfr

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:28 am
Much dispute over the 'real' Jesus in recent years. Really the debate goes back longer than that and was told it was brought up in the 19th century. Freke wrote a book called "The Jesus Mysteries" proposing that Jesus was created by the church to substitute their created God for a similar pagan god that was similarly crucified and born of a virgin.

Speaking of virgins. Much discussion if Mary was a virgin, as some theorizing she was raped by Roman soldier and the church created an elaborate cover up to put a spin on it. Born of virgin or spin? This is not of real import except for the ego based practitioner that must demand things as they believe them to be. Jesus could have been born from a cell of a frog in pond for all care. I am not attached to such things. But it is nice to know if Jesus really existed.

On another spiritual oriented forum the question came up that if it was proven God was not real how would you change the way you live. Myself? No change, for my actions would still be pointed in the direction of peace by developing inner peace and developing inner peace in others. You see, truth must transcends ego for it to be truth - for the truth is that which does not change. So, it is this truth I seek with the Christian faith. If you could summarize Christianity and the preaching of Jesus it would be the golden rule. So this rule of reciprocity exits outside of Jesus - as the falsification of Jesus doesn't falsify this rule as peace generation vehicle.

For some Christians I speak with the question of authenticity all boils down to whether the bible is real or not, with more emphasis on the new testament than old for most Christians. The church does not make matters easy since it has a history of cover ups and deceits. For example it is widely agreed upon Jesus was born in the spring and not on December 25. The church aimed to take away the pagans from the solstice holiday so substituted Christmas for this pagan day. They did the same with Halloween.

Ever wonder why Christians worship on Sunday and Jews follow the original Sabbath as the bible says? Constantine decided the worship day for Christians to be on Sunday to differentiate Christians from the Jews as well as to honor the sun god as he was half pagan and half Christian. Constantine was a new convert to Christianity so he thought he could worship his pagan sun god and his new Christian God on the same day.

The 4 books of the new testament were not written by first hand account from apostles. They were handed down supposedly from apostles to the writers, which were supposedly friends with the apostles of Jesus, so more room for discrepancy. Furthermore, many Gnostic gospel were destroyed or left out of the new testament due to prejudice of the church. Also many changes and discrepancies in the bible due to doctoring it up throughout the ages.

Would be interested in hearing FACT, pro and con about the truth behind the existence of Jesus...what do we have IN FACT on the subject
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,898 • Replies: 29
No top replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:42 am
Fiction, tho an intrigueing story, next...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:51 am
material girl wrote:
Fiction, tho an intrigueing story, next...

Yup. IMO, I have heard enough about Jesus on A2K in the last few months to last me for the rest of my life. All this navel contemplating is making me want to barf!
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:56 am
Surely there wernt any navels in the beginning of the Bible as Adam and Eve ddnt have any because they were created, not born(and thats were the doubt of the Bible starts for me)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:02 am
material girl- Good grief.......You are right. Imagine how Eve would have looked in a bikini! Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
She'd have to wear a one piece!
Can you imagine Adam being laughed at by all the pixies,leprechauns and the loch ness monster!!They would definatelyhave been there although they wernt mentioned in the Bible, they have all appeared in other books so they must exist.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:14 am
material girl- Be careful about what you say about the leprechauns. They are everywhere, and know everything. You will be cursed forever if you piss one off! Sad
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:16 am
gnomes. you're all just a bunch of silly gnomes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
Oops I forgot, I'm the gnome. nevermind.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:17 am
I love leprecahuns.
Its the wacky stories from a certain religious book I have trouble believeing.

Now Ive said that I will be cursed forever.

What Im trying to say is that if a virgin had a baby, a sea was divided, a man was killed then became alive again, and we are supposed to believe this then there is no one who can say that leprechauns and unicorns dont exist.

Im sure that wasnt the topic but I think its the way my mind has darted off.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
MG- Actually, what you are saying makes perfect sense. Gnomes, leprechauns, and things that go "bump" in the night, make about the same level of rational sense as some of the stuff found in religious books.

Have you heard of L. Ron Hubbard, the guy who founded Scientology? He was a great science fiction writer. Years ago, he said that he wanted to start his own religion. He did, and people (including celebrities) buy into his nonsense.

Maybe I will start my own religion. Very Happy
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:29 am
Scientology, is that the one that Tom Cruise follows?
Dont they believe that we came from outer space and we are aliens?
Thats a tad more believable than the Bible but not much.

Tom Cruise LOOKS quite sensible.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:08 am
The Roman historian Tacitus (2nd Century AD) mentions Christ in his "Annals":

"Christus, the founder of the name, was put to death by Pontius Pilate, procurator of Judea in the reign of Tiberius..."

However, Tacitus mentions this only by way of explaining Nero's persecution of the Christian sect after the fire of AD 64. It is not necessarily proof that a man Jesus existed- but it is probably the earliest non-Biblical mention of Christ.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:11 am
am I the only one who knows that Ron howard made a movie out of the Davinci Code?

( not yet in theaters)

I for one want to see this.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:11 am
oo.. that was off topic huh..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:15 am
Quote:
Scientology, is that the one that Tom Cruise follows?

Yup- John Travolta too. If you Google the subject, your hair will stand on end!
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
am I the only one who knows that Ron howard made a movie out of the Davinci Code?

( not yet in theaters)

Yes, I've heard this too.

Is this the same movie who teaches that Jesus was married to Mary and had kids? That the holy grail is actually a blood line?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 04:59 pm
Scientology heh.
Google OT3 for some interesting results.

Anyway..Jesus..the fact that so many accept his existance as history is a direct result of the vast amount of people infected by christianity.
History itself says nothing of jesus, and in fact there are gaping holes in history where jesus 'should be' had he existed.
Top that off with information that would be EXTREMELY co-incedental had jesus lived, (such as many of the stories of jesus and the tenets of christianity pre-dating any form of christianity in the form of older pagan religions),and historical jesus becomes highly unlikely.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
MG- Actually, what you are saying makes perfect sense. Gnomes, leprechauns, and things that go "bump" in the night, make about the same level of rational sense as some of the stuff found in religious books.

Have you heard of L. Ron Hubbard, the guy who founded Scientology? He was a great science fiction writer. Years ago, he said that he wanted to start his own religion. He did, and people (including celebrities) buy into his nonsense.

Maybe I will start my own religion. Very Happy

Ole L. Ron was a for profit-Prophet

Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion.-- L. Ron Hubbard, science fiction writer who later created the very lucrative Church of Scientology, quoted in the New York Times, July 11, 1984, from James A. Haught, ed., 2000 Years of Disbelief

P
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 04:54 am
I'm the other one wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

( not yet in theaters)

Yes, I've heard this too.

Is this the same movie who teaches that Jesus was married to Mary and had kids? That the holy grail is actually a blood line?

Thats the one, Ive seen teh trailer, think its out in June/July time.
That book made complete sense to me, so much more than the Bible.I loved it.
0 Replies