Dualism vs. Monism

Ray

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:10 am
I know there must be a thread about this somewhere in the past, but... what is dualism, what is monism, and which do you believe in, or do you believe in something else?

I was going to write about Dualistic Monism... but I stopped because of the brain-mind concepts. I mean, I was thinking, that the brain is the substance which allows the mind to arise. Therefore, the mind is an effect of the brain. But is the mind entirely determined by the brain?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 677 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fresco

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
Ray,

It might be better to think of "dualism versus non-dualism" rather than "monism" because the latter term has specific associations with particular philosophers. E.g. the dualism of Descartes in which "brain" and "mind" are considered to be of different "substances" is contrasted with the monism of Spinoza, who advocated a single form of "panthestic reality."

For many non-dualists the brain-mind dichotomy is not the central issue since they could be different levels of description of "mental phenomena". The main issue is the co-existence of "observer" and "observed". At any instant the "world" is segmented according to the selective perception of "the observer" and the ensuing interaction changes the "state" of each. This ultimately leads to the view that all we call "reality" is interconnected and nothing can be independently "defined" or granted "independent existence".
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
I see. Thanks for the info Fresco. Very Happy
I was confused earlier because people tend to use dualism in a bunch of different ways.

I'm on the side of non-dualism then.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:02 pm
"observer" and "observed" has always bothered me.
It seems like simply a deeper level of dualism. There is still the split between "me" and "what is observed".
There is a seperation.

Sure, I can think of it like specific moment of change. Ping. It's difficult to describe it.

I guess this gets to my main beef with science (even though I am less than highly educated in those regards).

Sorry Ray. Just thoughts your question generated. Good question, I'm glad you asked and clarified. Thanks.
0 Replies