God Bless You

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
When I say God bless you to someone I consider that a good thing. If I'm going to insult them, I'm not going to use God's name to do it.

Momma- We were talking about "bless your heart", not "God bless you"!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:02 pm
But isn't the title of this thread God Bless You? Sorry. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:03 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
But isn't the title of this thread God Bless You? Sorry. Embarrassed

Yeah, but like most A2K threads, we went off the track a bit!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:05 pm
Sounds better than "May the bird of paradise fly up your nose."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:33 pm
Edgar, I have always wanted to say that, and with exactly the same inflection as in the song.

I will prey for you, Individual.

And "Have a nice day."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:46 pm
Y'all come back, ya heah?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:51 pm
roger wrote:
I will prey for you, Individual.

Don't prey too hard or something's likely to come out and eat you. Very Happy
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:54 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
When I say God bless you to someone I consider that a good thing. If I'm going to insult them, I'm not going to use God's name to do it.

But how certain are you that, sometimes, when you say "God bless you" -- no matter how much good you might intend -- you aren't inadvertently insulting someone?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:57 pm
Insulting someone? I say God bless you and that would insult someone? You are joking, right? Shocked
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
hoka hey
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:15 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Insulting someone? I say God bless you and that would insult someone? You are joking, right? Shocked

Momma,
You have seen enough on this board alone that should tell you that some would take offense and insult. Not a happy thought, but a fact nonetheless.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:19 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Most people can't concieve of the idea that blessing someone would be an insult, so they go on doing it whenever it seems appropriate and never consider what it means to other people.

I could explain it all over again, but I already gave examples in my first post. If you don't understand them or don't believe me that those things really happen, then ask me to go into more detail or just ramble on until you get the point. Smile
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:24 pm
Well, I guess maybe we just better take the word God out of the English language then. Someone would honest to goodness be insulted because I said God Bless You if they sneezed? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Don't you think that is a bit petty? I mean, gee, all you have to do is say thank you and move on. You gonna let it ruin your day or what? :wink:

Talk about intolerance.....................................sad. :wink:
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:24 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Momma,
You have seen enough on this board alone that should tell you that some would take offense and insult. Not a happy thought, but a fact nonetheless.

From my point of view, the unhappy thought is that people fail to consider what their actions really entail, not that people are insulted at what others see as a good gesture.

"Let them eat cake" might've sounded reasonable to Marie, but the peasants didn't quite agree.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:27 pm
Momma Angel, you could do with a good dose of Prozac.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:28 pm
So I say God Bless You because you sneeze or just plain old God Bless You because I am wishing you well, etc., and you (not you literally) would be offended?

Fascinating. Utterly fascinating.

God Bless You! (That's for the prozac remark. :wink: )
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:29 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, I guess maybe we just better take the word God out of the English language then. Someone would honest to goodness be insulted because I said God Bless You if they sneezed? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Don't you think that is a bit petty? I mean, gee, all you have to do is say thank you and move on. You gonna let it ruin your day or what? :wink:

Talk about intolerance.....................................sad. :wink:

Momma Angel,
I am usually in agreement with you on many things. In this case, since you mention tolerance, I think that I must point out that there must be tolerance on the side of believers too.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:31 pm
Just as an aside, Momma. I never say God Bless you when someone sneezes. If you consider that a blessing is an increase, you would be wishing an increase in sneezing to the person. :-)
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:32 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

God Bless You! (That's for the prozac remark. :wink: )

Do you see how you have at least one example of how it could be used as a sort of off-handed insult?

And I'm sorry for saying you need Prozac. You really don't. I was trying to prove a point and hoped that it might elicit some kind of emotional response from you. I really do have quite a bit of respect for you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:34 pm
I do not disagree with you on that, Intrepid. But if I pass someone on the street and they sneeze and I say God Bless You I am supposed to stop and wonder if they will be offended or not?

Or maybe I should ask them first if I can say God Bless You? Or maybe they should wear a button or something that says never say God Bless You to me because I will be offended. Seems pretty silly, doesn't it?

Well, I think this thing about offending people is just getting a bit out of hand. Everybody worried about themselves and whether or not they are offended or not. Good grief. It's life, people! Put on your big girl or big boy panties and deal with it!

I could understand it if God Bless You meant screw you or something, but it doesn't (at least not coming from me it doesn't).
0 Replies