God Bless You

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 03:25 pm
Let me explain why I hate that phrase. Having been at the receiving end of it my entire life, I have found that it is generally used as a sort of disguised insult. The people who use it in such a way intend for you to perceive it as well-meaning (and, in fact, and number of them may genuinely use it for a good cause) however, it is almost always used the same manner that you might tell someone, "You need to get an education." Well-meaning, but ultimately in bad taste.

It assumes that the person being talked to is either inferior or somehow lacking a desired quality. In the same way that you might believe a person is lacking intelligence, these people (scornfully, perhaps) believe that a person is lacking their god's blessing or lacking god altogether.

Sometimes the word is even used in obvious disdain and pity. Having been raised Jewish, I am very familiar with the experience of telling people that I wouldn't have a merry Christmas because I would be celebrating Chanukah instead, only to meet the reply, "Oh...well God bless you as you descend into Hell" (If only I had the presence of mind to inform them that only Christians go to hell, us Jews don't believe in it Very Happy). Then there are the times when Christians, shocked at the fact that we Jews really don't hide horns under our curly hair, would utter "God bless you" just as they turned their back on us to walk away.

Those are extreme examples of very misguided people, but I'm sure they serve their purpose of illustrating the lengths people will go to as they insult you using something that, I believe, was intended for a much greater cause.

Unless I'm sick or starting out on a long journey, I don't ever want to hear those words. So I heartily say, "God bless you" to everyone who inappropriately uses that phrase. God knows you'll need it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,266 • Replies: 52
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
Well, God bless you, dear.

<snicker>

Just kidding.

I got some fwd: fwd: fwd: fwd: email thingy today about how Alber Einstien showed up some nutty athiest professor with some "darkness, coldness" argument and concluding by saying that "evil is the absence of God" blah blah blah.

Not the absence of GOOD -- but GOD.

It was just a nice way for some of my in-laws to remind me that I'm going to hell.

According to Snopes the whole thing is bogus so Al and I should be able to kick it up together once I die.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
This joke works best if you can do a good southern drawl for the dialogue:

Two Southern Belles are fanning themselves on the veranda one sultry afternoon.

The first Belle says, "My daddy loves me so much, he bought me a brand new car!"

The second Belle says, "Well, isn't that nice!"

The first Belle says, "My daddy loves me so much, he bought me an entirely new wardrobe!"

The second Belle says, "Isn't that nice!"

The first Belle says, "My daddy loves me so much, he bought me this diamond necklace!"

The second Belle says, "Isn't that nice!"

The first Belle asks, "Doesn't your daddy love you?"

The second Belle says, "My daddy loves me so much, he sent me to charm school."

"Charm school? What did you learn in charm school?"

"They taught me to say, 'isn't that nice' instead of f*ck you."
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 04:59 pm
boomerang wrote:
Well, God bless you, dear.

<snicker>

Just kidding.

You are so going to hell for that.

Yeah, my extended family never tried to shove those morals down my throat. That's why I still keep them around instead of putting them in assisted living. Smile
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:03 pm
Yes, it's ambigious.

God bless you can be disambiguated as:

1. I would like for you to have a blessing.
2. You are in need of a blessing.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:04 pm
DrewDad, I always thought southern people said that to me just because nothing ever surprised them. Everything short of the Virgin Mary appearing on my morning pancakes, of course.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:06 pm
Dog bless you my son . . .

May He lift His Mighty Leg and pee all over your enemies . . .

Dog bless you . . .

Ramen
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:11 pm
Aktorist, but they're still assuming that you need to be blessed in some way. I would much rather they say something as snotty as "Oh, well isn't that a shame?" or a flat out "F*ck you" like in DrewDad's joke than act as if they weren't really insulting me.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:21 pm
Here in NC, if someone says "bless your heart" they are basically insulting you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:26 pm
If you haven't got a penny,
A ha'penny will do.
If you haven't got a ha'penny,
God Bless You.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:32 pm
Minnesota version of Southern "isn't that nice" is "How interesting!"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:53 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Here in NC, if someone says "bless your heart" they are basically insulting you.

Isn't that strange? I just heard about this a few weeks ago from my son's fiancee, who lives in South Carolina!
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:57 pm
Though it is considered good manners to say, "bless you" after sneezing, I find it rather odd.

If I remember correctly people originally said, "God bless you" after someone sneezed because they thought the sneezing was a sign they had caught the Black Death and would die very soon... horribly... very horribly.

I don't really see why someone has to bless me after I sneeze. They're technically saying, "God bless you because you're going to die."

Well, thank you very much, you pessimistic bastard. Though I'm a pessimist myself, you have to draw the line somewhere. I'm not so sick that I'll die from the common cold or a little dust.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:58 pm
I thought it had something to do with your spirit escaping...?

(Gotta look it up now.)
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
either from spirit escaping, or one exiting.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:00 pm
either from spirit escaping, or one entering.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:01 pm
sure wish I could edit that 1st one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:01 pm
Oooh, this is good:

http://www.snopes.com/language/phrases/blessyou.htm

This is the one I was thinking of:

Quote:
At one time people believed a man's soul could be inadvertently thrust from his body by an explosive sneeze, thus "Bless you!" was a protective oath uttered to safeguard the temporarily expelled and vulnerable soul from being snatched up by Satan (who was always lurking nearby). The purpose of the oath was to cast a temporary shield over the flung-out soul which would protect it just long enough to regain the protection of the corporeal body.

Wolf's is there too.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:52 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:

Isn't that strange? I just heard about this a few weeks ago from my son's fiancee, who lives in South Carolina!

It's another way of saying "you ain't quite right". I've lived in the south for 17 years now, and I am still trying to figure out what the hell they are talking about half the time. :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 06:55 pm
When I say God bless you to someone I consider that a good thing. If I'm going to insult them, I'm not going to use God's name to do it.
0 Replies