Lizard Brain Versus Cerebral Cortex

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:18 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
That contrasts with the theist position, which is based on absolute certainty.
Well now I know how my Chow views the world!

Oh……..and my subtle tapestry of an opening premise is now in ruins, ruins I say……how shall I ever recover?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:26 pm
Keep going, Chumly. I don't quite get your drift, either, but I'm very interested.

By the way, can someone help me out with the lizard brain allusion. I've heard it before, but I'm not at all sure what it implies. A primative thought process, perhaps? Sounds like a Phoenix question.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
The world awaits the cry of the Phoenix
Ashes are his tears
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
roger wrote:
Keep going, Chumly.
A non-theist's internal battle may be personified by a discourse with those of faith.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:17 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I've been on a road similar to Dr S. Tried to find religion; tried to believe in a god.. Went to various Christian churches and non Christian services. None of it touched the atheist core of my heart.

Just out of curiousity edgar, did you ever pray? Or maybe didn't feel led to?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:24 pm
Here's a site on 3 brains, one being lizard.

Is this something like what you mean chumly?

http://www.thebiggestideas.com/cgi-bin/viewps.cgi?you_have_three_brainsps.txt
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 08:44 pm
You bet! Although this guy adds dog brain in there too (woof) and lots of other entertaining extrapolations.

I more simply meant that our primitive aspects may be personified by the lizard brain and it is this more primitive aspect that still huddles close to the ancient fire (figuratively speaking) and supernatural "truths".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2006 09:05 pm
I thought I prayed a number of times, but realized in retrospect it wasn't real.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 12:01 am
Thanks, I'm the other one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:21 am
roger- Harrumph! A Phoenix question??? I have always understood the concept, but was not familiar with the term "lizard brain". That apparently refers to the "old brain" which appeared early in man's evolution, and controlled the more primitive aspects of man's personality.

I found a nice article explaining it all. Not terribly scholarly, but it does get the idea across:

http://www.thebiggestideas.com/cgi-bin/viewps.cgi?you_have_three_brainsps.txt
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:10 pm
Not one person has responded directly to my initial gambit, and I find my cranial convolutions smoothening out as I loose grip on this reality and look for flies to eat, and a warm place to lie in the sun Shocked
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:30 pm
Re: Lizard Brain Versus Cerebral Cortex
Chumly wrote:
I sometimes think when the non-theist posters discourse with the faith based posters that the non-theist's are in some sense arguing with reflections of themselves and their own inner demons.

Okay, Chumly. Yes, I think this is true. I think it's true for anyone engaged in any conversation. We are always trying to refine and solidify our own convictions.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 01:48 pm
Re: Lizard Brain Versus Cerebral Cortex
echi wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I sometimes think when the non-theist posters discourse with the faith based posters that the non-theist's are in some sense arguing with reflections of themselves and their own inner demons.

Okay, Chumly. Yes, I think this is true. I think it's true for anyone engaged in any conversation. We are always trying to refine and solidify our own convictions.
Cool, and I am not here to argue the point of "We are always trying to refine and solidify our own convictions".

Alas that is not my point.

It is the drive to discourse in this specified example in terms of seeing ourselves.
0 Replies