Religion has no exemption from morality.

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 01:54 pm
aktorist wrote:
Quote:
I am still waiting for the references in the Bible to back up your assertions, aktorist.

And, what if some people are? There are racists. There are sexists. There are whatever! All we can do is look to ourselves and control and change our own behavior.

Do you really think calling other people homophobes is going to get them to change their way of thinking? Isn't calling them names the same exact thing you are accusing them of? (Discriminating because of something).

The answer is not in labeling. The answer is in discussing and coming to an understanding. It's a lot easier to do that when both sides are entering into the discussion as equals.

I need no references. You yourself has told me that the bible says that "homosexuality (or homosexual acts) is an abomination."

That's right. The Bible says homosexuality is an abomination. I did not make the rules. God did. I suggest you take it up with Him if you have a problem with it. Not trying to be rude aktorist, that's just the way it is.

Discrimination against people who have done nothing is either right or wrong. And homosexual people have done nothing more than heterosexual people.

Take your pick. Is it right, or is it wrong?

God says it is wrong. God is the ultimate authority. So, you tell me, is it right or wrong?

Quote:
And, what if some people are? There are racists. There are sexists. There are whatever! All we can do is look to ourselves and control and change our own behavior.

Racism and sexism are also wrong. Homophobia is wrong.

I never said any of these things were right. But, labeling me a homophobic merely because I believe homosexuality is wrong in God's eyes is wrong. We all discriminate against something or someone in some shape, form, or fashion. It's what we do with that discrimination that makes it wrong. If I carried "I hate fag signs" or beat up homosexuals I would definitely be homophobic. I don't do that. I have no bad feelings about homosexuals whatsoever.

Quote:
And that is absolutely no different than anyone else voting for what they believe is right or wrong.

Your belief that it is wrong is wrong, just like belief in racism and sexism.

Oh really? And who are you to tell me that I am wrong? Who am I to tell you that you are wrong in how you vote? We vote our conscience. We vote according to our moral standards. I don't tell you that your moral standards cannot be considered when you vote and you can't tell me that either.

I have never said I am racist or sexist. I am not.

Quote:
I suppose I would also be discriminating against those that would benefit from a certain tax law when it might hurt others when I vote against it? I suppose I am being discriminatory when I want laws that protect our neighborhood from sexual offenders that are tougher on them about registering? I suppose I am being discriminatory when I don't want certain people in my house because of the fact I don't like them?

The first is equality for those who have done nothing. The second is basic morality that sex offenders have done something wrong.

Done nothing? Like I said, find it in the Bible where it says homosexuality is not a sin and I will tell you it's right. I didn't make the rule. God did.

Quote:
Yes, sozobe, if I could vote on this issue I would vote no. And that is absolutely no different than anyone else voting for what they believe is right or wrong. Absolutely no difference. I would think it's safe to say that on any law voted on, someone is going to be discriminated against, wouldn't you?

In all cases, discrimination is wrong. It is different from murderers because they have done something wrong. But discrimination is different.

Discrimination is different? Oh really. So if you vote for a tax break for the rich that would hurt the poor are you discriminating? If you vote for a tax break for the poor that would hurt the rich, are you discriminating?

Discrimination is wrong. What you believe in is wrong. Religion/tradition is not an excuse for bigotry.

What I believe in is wrong? So, you think I am wrong because I believe in God? Who said it was an excuse for bigotry? I sure didn't. And again, who are you to decide what is right or what is wrong? You have the same rights I do. I will not vote for something God says is wrong. Period. You would not vote for something you think is wrong. Period. It's the same thing.

0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 03:22 pm
People bandy about following their god's will, what if their god is a demon? After all, one's god is another's demon.
0 Replies

aktorist

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 05:05 pm
If you had believed that it is wrong, you would want for it to be illegal. What's the difference between murder and homosexuality if they are both wrong?

If you say that you don't want to kill gays, I suspect something is not quite right here.

We all believe that murder is wrong. And to those who say otherwise, we correct them. We believe that racism is wrong. We are not to permit hate crimes. To believe that being black is wrong is wrong. Unless, of course, you say otherwise.

The lord's words cannot contradict morality. But in this case, it does. Discrimination is wrong. Discrimination against those who have done nothing wrong is wrong. You cannot pick a few random things and say that those are wrong.

Religion is no excuse for morality.

And I'm sure you'd agree: Discrimination is wrong.

And I've never seen this situation before. One discriminates, but is not prejudiced. Maybe you'd agree: your prejudice harms people for nothing. How does it benefit society? Your prejudice harms people.

And that is why your belief is wrong. Because discrimination is wrong.

discrimination: unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice

Unlike murderers, homosexuals have done nothing. Murders have killed someone. Homosexuals have not inflicted anything upon anyone.

But your belief has done plenty infliction. And that's just what discrimination does.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 10:20 pm
aktorist,

Religion must take precedence when it comes to morality. The god (or gods) have made these laws, who is man to even question, let alone overturn them?

Of course, from an atheist POV morality comes first because religion is just nonsense.

This is exactly why we need to work to get rid of religious superstition....so all of humanity can agree on some basic human principles. When you've got so-called christians who support capital punishment, it's clear we can't even agree on "Thou Shalt Not Kill"
0 Replies