Does anyone on this board actually oppose gay marriage?

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:20 pm
Sturgis,

I understand that Mommy Angel would use her influence to stop homosexual marriage (if she could), and that she approves of a state of affairs whereby it would be illegal.

Correct me if I am wrong Mommy as I have chatted with you on this very issue……………gazoontite!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:20 pm
msolga,

Uh, because it's a public forum and we are having a discussion? Seriously, it's just an interesting subject.

aktorist,

When you vote you base that vote on what you believe is wrong and right, correct? Well, so do I. Same exact right as you have. I am not going to get to vote on this issue. And, like I said, if I had the opportunity to vote for it I would more likely abstain. Not because I think it is right, but if I abstain then I am not discriminating in any way.

Why do you seemingly want to make me out to be a bigot?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:21 pm
I thought MASS was the first, sturgis! Or were we the first to allow same sex marriages?

chumly, on MA's behalf, she says she would refrain from voting (probably) if it were on a ballot.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:26 pm
glitterbag wrote:
folks who are in a committed relationship should have their union protected against outsiders.
Is that why they won't let me out of this rubber room?
glitterbag wrote:
My husband has the last word if I am comatose
I knew there was a reason I never win any arguments!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:29 pm
littlek wrote:
I thought MASS was the first, sturgis! Or were we the first to allow same sex marriages?

Yes, Massachusetts was first on actual marriage, Vermont only pulled off the civil union.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
msolga,

Uh, because it's a public forum and we are having a discussion? Seriously, it's just an interesting subject.

Uh, seriously MA, I think you're displaying intolerence & insensitivity here. It's a little more than an interesting subject for many gay folk who have to face this sort of prejudice when coming to grips with their sexual orientation when good Christians like yourself tell them that basically they're unacceptable, or "living in sin", or something ..... I've worked with young adolesecents whose lives have been made utter hell by attitudes like yours, & sometimes also from their families & other "respectable" folk. It's not like they woke up one morning & thought: "Uh, I think I might just choose to become gay now." Can't you see that?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:41 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Confused chumley...you are bi-sexual and believe that God disapproves?

So, do you get off on being bad or something.

Or, when you said you were bi, did you mean bi-lateral amputee, bi-polar or bi-annual.
I do feel I am more of a perennial (lasting an indefinitely long time) or is it perineum (region between the scrotum and the anus) than biannual (happening twice each year).
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:46 pm
msolga wrote:
adolesecents whose lives have been made utter hell by attitudes like yours, & sometimes also from their families & other "respectable" folk.
Very sad, very true, much unneeded suffering and pain Sad
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:50 pm
My brother is gay. He had a very understanding and tolerant coming-out with his immediate family. The rest of my family is a bit of a different matter. He was afraid to tell my grandparents that he was gay. He never did. I think my mother told her parents because she couldn't take it anymore. I have some cousins who are all for gay marriage and some who vote agaisnt it due to their catholic upbringing. I know this weighs on my brother, but not that heavily. C'
est la vie pour lui.

However. I have met many homosexuals who have not been so lucky. Many are estranged from their parents and families. Many have had people they trusted try to 'beat it out of them'. It's not a pretty facet of humanity. And, though it isn't entirely to blame on catholisms or religion in general, religion is certainly doing net harm to the plight of 10 percent of our population.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 07:58 pm
The transgendered:

The precise number of transgendered Canadians is hard to pin down.

The medical establishment says that 1 in 30,000 adult males and 1 in 100,000 adult females seek sex reassignment surgery. These numbers do not account for those who may not seek sex reassignment surgery, but question their gender identity. The prevalence of transgendered people in society is much higher. However, the true number remains a mystery...

Here are some of their stories.

Michelle Duff
Michelle was once Mike - then and still today she is the only Canadian to win a world championship motorcycle Grand Prix.

In the eighties, Mike's Canadian doctors refused to recommend him for sex reassignment surgery. But Mike was determined to become Michelle.

The fifth estate first met Michelle in 1987, just after she returned from a private sex change clinic in Belgium. Reporter Hana Gartner told Michelle's story just as she was starting to live life as a woman. At the time she had high hopes for the future.

Michelle Duff, seventeen years ago, when she was first interviewed by the fifth estate.

Michelle Duff today.

Michelle Duff: "I don't want to spend the rest of my life alone. I am female and I hope to have a partner and at this stage, I hope it will be a male partner."

Seventeen years later, Michelle sat down with Hana Gartner once again to reflect on life after spending half of it as a man and the other half as a woman.

Michelle Duff: "You get a lot of rejection from people. You lose all your friends and you may have to make totally new friends."

"I've often thought, if I could go back to being a guy, I could probably live my life more comfortably. I won't say more comfortably than I am now, but more comfortable than I was before as a guy."

She has some advice for people considering sex reassignment surgery.

Michelle Duff: "My recommendation is you have to think about it very carefully. If you can live the way you are, do so. Because the change is not something that is taken lightly."

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/becomingayden/trans.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:14 pm
littlek wrote:
My brother is gay. He had a very understanding and tolerant coming-out with his immediate family. The rest of my family is a bit of a different matter. He was afraid to tell my grandparents that he was gay. He never did. I think my mother told her parents because she couldn't take it anymore. I have some cousins who are all for gay marriage and some who vote agaisnt it due to their catholic upbringing. I know this weighs on my brother, but not that heavily. C'
est la vie pour lui.

He was very fortunate with his immediate family, k. But (obviously) not everyone's family is as tolerant or enlightened, unfortunately. As I mentioned earlier, some of my (adolescent) students have had major difficulties with lack of acceptance, or even out-right rejection, from people who really matter to them (say nothing of the prejudice out there in society.) One such ex-student, A, has grown up to become a fine, very successful young adult, whose now completely at ease & happy with his sexual orientation. But boy, did he cause havoc (big time!) for some female students I also taught at the time, when he was trying, trying desperately trying to be "normal" & heterosexual!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:18 pm
msolga Wrote:

Quote:
Uh, seriously MA, I think you're displaying intolerence & insensitivity here. It's a little more than an interesting subject for many gay folk who have to face this sort of prejudice when coming to grips with their sexual orientation when good Christians like yourself tell them that basically they're unacceptable, or "living in sin", or something .....

Uh, all I have done is said I believe it is wrong in God's eyes. I have not told anyone they are unacceptable. Quite the contrary. Oh and BTW, I don't just go up to strangers in the street that I may think are homosexual and tell them they are living in sin. Rolling Eyes

I've worked with young adolesecents whose lives have been made utter hell by attitudes like yours, & sometimes also from their families & other "respectable" folk. It's not like they woke up one morning & thought: "Uh, I think I might just choose to become gay now." Can't you see that?

Attitudes like mine? You make it sound as if I am out there carrying "I hate fags" signs or something. I am just having a civil discussion with some people about an interesting issue. I do not do anything to harm anyone.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:18 pm
msolga - Ha!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:21 pm
littlek wrote:
Ha!

Explain? Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:21 pm
catch my edit!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:22 pm
Yes. The thing is, he was absolutely gorgeous, talented & sensitive, k. And so were the girls that thought so, too! It was rather terrible watching the traumas, tears & misery that resulted. Especially, as I could sort of see why. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:24 pm
My brother used to hang out with one girl, in particular, in high school. They used to do date-ish things together. I think she knew he was gay. But, maybe she was pining for him. I'll have to ask him.....
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:25 pm
littlek wrote:
catch my edit!

Caught it! Very Happy
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:30 pm
Thanx littlek.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2006 08:30 pm
littlek wrote:
My brother used to hang out with one girl, in particular, in high school. They used to do date-ish things together. I think she knew he was gay. But, maybe she was pining for him. I'll have to ask him.....

Ah, but he was probably gorgeous, intelligent & sensitive, too, k! Very Happy
0 Replies