Elephants fed giant shots of vodka as freeze grips Russia

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Quote:
Elephants fed giant shots of vodka as big freeze grips Russia

By Andrew Osborn in Moscow
Published: 19 January 2006

Animals at zoos across Russia are being given shots, or in some cases buckets, of vodka to keep them warm as temperatures in the European part of the country plunged towards an exceptional minus 40C.

In the ancient town of Yaroslavl, 100 miles north of Moscow, a travelling circus said it had been forced to start giving its trio of Indian elephants vodka mixed with water in buckets as the mercury dipped.

In Lipetsk, where meteorologists recorded temperatures of minus 32C, the zoo's contingent of macaques was being fortified with cheap French table wine three times a day and in other zoos camels, wild boars and reindeer were being given regular shots of vodka to stave off the chill.

People who clutched their mobile phones to their ears for too long have been taken to hospital with frostbite; homeless people have frozen to death where they slumped and some of Moscow's famously bright lights have had to be temporarily turned off as the city consumes record amounts of electricity and moves to selective rationing.

With the temperature hovering around minus 30C yesterday, Moscow, a city of 12 million people, was eerily quiet with locals saying they had not experienced such extreme cold for half a century. The coldest temperature recorded in Moscow, of minus 42C, was recorded in 1940 and experts said that the current Arctic conditions could last until the end of the month, with the temperature steadily dropping towards minus 40C as the week progresses.

Moscow's infamous traffic jams vanished into the icy air as people left their cars at home and shops, bars and restaurants saw custom plunge.

With nostril hair freezing on impact with the outside air and ice quickly forming on eye lashes, pavements were also less crowded than usual and foyers of metro stations were crowded with the dispossessed who were, exceptionally, allowed to sleep in the subway system overnight.

The extreme cold - which is fierce even by Russian standards - had serious human consequences. Russian media said the number of people to die from hypothermia in Moscow since October had shot up to 109, with at least 24 people dying of exposure in the past 24 hours. In the Volga region a minibus on its way to Moscow crashed through the ice of a frozen river as it tried to cross, killing six passengers. The cold caused concrete road bridges to crack and some villages in remote regions were left without heat or light.

[..]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 778 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:25 am
I think the dietitians at the zoo may be influenced by alcoholic anamorphism.

Napoleon is probably shoving the clouds (or clods) aside for a front row seat.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:40 am
but no free liquor for polar bears... no f*cking love.... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:05 pm
You're supposed to be able to stand the cold ... move to the desert, perhaps they'll give ya a cold beer in sympathy...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:32 pm
Next week, the cold is coming here, my colleagues say ... "The cold is coming", they said, and it sounded like an actual creature, fierce, huge and with icy fingers clawing at the continent like once, the Soviet soldiers did ... from Monday on, it's supposed to be between -10 and -20 (celsius), getting colder as the week progresses ... thats pretty fukking cold.

Luckily, I just got my company laptop today, and I got wireless at home, so if its really gonna be -20 aint no way I'm leaving the house ... and at the end of the week, I'm going to Holland for a long weekend
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:48 pm
I wonder if the elephants see grey people when they are drunk...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:06 pm
Ok...I know it DOES kinda make you warm...but how, and is it healthy?

I mean, think of all the drunken Russians who freeze in the snow!
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:27 am
Sturgis wrote:
I wonder if the elephants see grey people when they are drunk...

Hehehe...

dlowan, to the best of my knowledge it actually constricts your blood vessels and makes you colder but you feel warmer. Either I've got bad information or they do -- for the sake of all the animals, I hope I'm the one that's wrong.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:08 am
Well, on such matters, Russians ar eknown t have some strange ideas!

Shall we send warm thoughts to the elephants?

Nice to see you, BTW!!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:28 am
um .... sorry to be rather boring & practical & all .... but why not a bit more shelter & warmth than usual, rather than the vodka?
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:03 am
Because even elephants need to get hammered every once in a while.

dlowan wrote:
Nice to see you, BTW!!!!

Glad to be around. Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:51 am
Meanwhile, here in New York, we are having the mildest winter in memory. The coldest days occurred last month during the subway strike, a comparatively balmy 17F to Russia's, what was it, -40F ? A sprinkle of snow just before the holidays has been the only hoary precipitation, people are now beginning to think we shall make it through without any major storms.

That should get the gods' attention.

Joe(I predict four big ones in February)Nation
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:01 am
Individual, you're absolutely right. Alcohol only makes the freezing weather more dangerous. It's wrong on so many levels, grrrrrr.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:12 am
I'd save the vodka for the giant barbecue.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 08:41 am
msolga wrote:
um .... sorry to be rather boring & practical & all .... but why not a bit more shelter & warmth than usual, rather than the vodka?

no money to be able to heat up against that kind of cold... its russia...
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:35 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'd save the vodka for the giant barbecue.

Then you get a chance to reenact the introduction to the Flintstones.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 03:42 pm
msolga wrote:

that wouldnt bring media attention , wich in turn, brings customers..

money honey.. ;-)
0 Replies