Would Jesus kill a murderer?

Eorl

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:27 pm
....or would he pay someone else to do it for him?

I ask because I've seen hardcore Christians in favour of the death penalty and I just don't get it.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,482 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:31 pm
Jesus hated the sin, but loved the sinner. What do you think? I am not even sure why I bothered to respond to this thread. However, everyone is entitled to start a thread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
Intrepid, do you work on being pompous, or does it just come naturally?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
I think he would not Intrepid.

It would probably surprise you to know that I'm quite a fan of many of the teachings of Jesus.

You haven't answered the real question though...do you support the death penalty, despite being a follower of those teachings?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:36 pm
Re: Would Jesus kill a murderer?
Eorl wrote:
I ask because I've seen hardcore Christians in favour of the death penalty and I just don't get it.

Thoughts?

My first thought was "WHAT??" I can't believe there are such people in FAVOUR of the death penalty - I thought all hardcore conservative Christians were against the whole thing! I was reading Yahoo discussion forums regarding California thinking about introducing assisted suicides and naturally the religious and the liberalists are up at arms...this is the first time I heard Christians and liberalists together!!

Shocked
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:37 pm
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
Intrepid wrote:
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)

Death penalty impositions do not mean that particular jurisdiction is uncivilised. In some cases, some countries with the death penalty appear more civilised than those who don't.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
littlek wrote:

Perhaps you could explain your meaning. You seem to have a dislike for me. Would it not be better to ignore than ignite?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Death penalty impositions do not mean that particular jurisdiction is uncivilised. In some cases, some countries with the death penalty appear more civilised than those who don't.

Civilized - perhaps. Sense of humour - maybe.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

I beg your pardon?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

I beg your pardon?

You, obviously, could not see the tongue in cheek with my civilized comment. Are you referring to China as being one of the civilized?
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

I beg your pardon?

You, obviously, could not see the tongue in cheek with my civilized comment. Are you referring to China as being one of the civilized?

Singapore.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
Intrepid wrote:
littlek wrote:

Perhaps you could explain your meaning. You seem to have a dislike for me. Would it not be better to ignore than ignite?

2 out of your 4 sentences in your original post seemed tpo be intentionally snotty towards the author of the thread. You ask me, why respond - you asked yourself that as well. Yes, my distaste for you springs entirely from your pompous airs. You'd likely get a lot less angst from me (and probably others here) if you toned it down a bit.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:47 pm
littlek wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
littlek wrote:

2 out of your 4 sentences in your original post seemed tpo be intentionally snotty towards the author of the thread. You ask me, why respond - you asked yourself that as well. Yes, my distaste for you springs entirely from your pompous airs. You'd likely get a lot less angst from me (and probably others here) if you toned it down a bit.

Perhaps I could take that seriously if you used the same tone with others. If the author did not seem to take offence, why do you? If you consider me pompous, that is your opinion. I will not respond in kind because it is not i who is pompous.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:50 pm
and the band played on.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:52 pm
I believe I have commented in kind on other users here. You can't possibly know that I haven't. Now, I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Sorry for derailing your thread, Eorl.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:52 pm
You are right Dys. I should have ignored littlek's remark about being pompous. I forgive her.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Oh gee. I was enjoying the death penalty argument...

oh well.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Jesus hated the sin, but loved the sinner.

IMO I thought this was quite a reasonable answer and straight to the point.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:55 pm
Thank you KiwChic. Do you think that Jesus would take payment for anything?
0 Replies