0
   

Would Jesus kill a murderer?

 
 
Eorl
 
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:27 pm
....or would he pay someone else to do it for him?

I ask because I've seen hardcore Christians in favour of the death penalty and I just don't get it.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,251 • Replies: 21
No top replies

 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:31 pm
Jesus hated the sin, but loved the sinner. What do you think? I am not even sure why I bothered to respond to this thread. However, everyone is entitled to start a thread.
0 Replies
 
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
Intrepid, do you work on being pompous, or does it just come naturally?
0 Replies
 
Eorl
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
I think he would not Intrepid.

It would probably surprise you to know that I'm quite a fan of many of the teachings of Jesus.

You haven't answered the real question though...do you support the death penalty, despite being a follower of those teachings?
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:36 pm
Re: Would Jesus kill a murderer?
Eorl wrote:
I ask because I've seen hardcore Christians in favour of the death penalty and I just don't get it.

Thoughts?


My first thought was "WHAT??" I can't believe there are such people in FAVOUR of the death penalty - I thought all hardcore conservative Christians were against the whole thing! I was reading Yahoo discussion forums regarding California thinking about introducing assisted suicides and naturally the religious and the liberalists are up at arms...this is the first time I heard Christians and liberalists together!!

Shocked
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:37 pm
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
Intrepid wrote:
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)


Death penalty impositions do not mean that particular jurisdiction is uncivilised. In some cases, some countries with the death penalty appear more civilised than those who don't.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:38 pm
littlek wrote:
Intrepid, do you work on being pompous, or does it just come naturally?


Perhaps you could explain your meaning. You seem to have a dislike for me. Would it not be better to ignore than ignite?
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:39 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)


Death penalty impositions do not mean that particular jurisdiction is uncivilised. In some cases, some countries with the death penalty appear more civilised than those who don't.


Civilized - perhaps. Sense of humour - maybe.
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)


Death penalty impositions do not mean that particular jurisdiction is uncivilised. In some cases, some countries with the death penalty appear more civilised than those who don't.


Civilized - perhaps. Sense of humour - maybe.


I beg your pardon?
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)


Death penalty impositions do not mean that particular jurisdiction is uncivilised. In some cases, some countries with the death penalty appear more civilised than those who don't.


Civilized - perhaps. Sense of humour - maybe.


I beg your pardon?


You, obviously, could not see the tongue in cheek with my civilized comment. Are you referring to China as being one of the civilized?
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
pragmatic wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
No, I do not support the death penalty. Thankfully, we do not have one in Canada. We are rather civilized you know. :-)


Death penalty impositions do not mean that particular jurisdiction is uncivilised. In some cases, some countries with the death penalty appear more civilised than those who don't.


Civilized - perhaps. Sense of humour - maybe.


I beg your pardon?


You, obviously, could not see the tongue in cheek with my civilized comment. Are you referring to China as being one of the civilized?


Singapore.
0 Replies
 
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
Intrepid wrote:
littlek wrote:
Intrepid, do you work on being pompous, or does it just come naturally?


Perhaps you could explain your meaning. You seem to have a dislike for me. Would it not be better to ignore than ignite?


2 out of your 4 sentences in your original post seemed tpo be intentionally snotty towards the author of the thread. You ask me, why respond - you asked yourself that as well. Yes, my distaste for you springs entirely from your pompous airs. You'd likely get a lot less angst from me (and probably others here) if you toned it down a bit.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:47 pm
littlek wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
littlek wrote:
Intrepid, do you work on being pompous, or does it just come naturally?


Perhaps you could explain your meaning. You seem to have a dislike for me. Would it not be better to ignore than ignite?


2 out of your 4 sentences in your original post seemed tpo be intentionally snotty towards the author of the thread. You ask me, why respond - you asked yourself that as well. Yes, my distaste for you springs entirely from your pompous airs. You'd likely get a lot less angst from me (and probably others here) if you toned it down a bit.


Perhaps I could take that seriously if you used the same tone with others. If the author did not seem to take offence, why do you? If you consider me pompous, that is your opinion. I will not respond in kind because it is not i who is pompous.
0 Replies
 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:50 pm
and the band played on.
0 Replies
 
littlek
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:52 pm
I believe I have commented in kind on other users here. You can't possibly know that I haven't. Now, I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Sorry for derailing your thread, Eorl.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:52 pm
You are right Dys. I should have ignored littlek's remark about being pompous. I forgive her.
0 Replies
 
pragmatic
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Oh gee. I was enjoying the death penalty argument...

oh well.
0 Replies
 
KiwiChic
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:53 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Jesus hated the sin, but loved the sinner.

IMO I thought this was quite a reasonable answer and straight to the point.
0 Replies
 
Intrepid
 
  1  
Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 07:55 pm
Thank you KiwChic. Do you think that Jesus would take payment for anything?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Would Jesus kill a murderer?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 03/04/2021 at 01:36:39