Can Someone Explain This Brand of Slowness To Me Please?

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 03:24 pm
Great, keep it coming.

I found this, which seems useful:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 04:55 pm
Craven's mention of Deb's "tickling" just jolted my memory as to where I remembered that from! lol I think it was a lengthy discussion on the very same thing.

As for upgrading, I'm a big fan of Win2000. I'd recommend upgrading to it for anyone that is running Win95/me/98 is they can. My system came with ME and crashed 3 or 4 times a day but hasn't died once since I upgraded to Win2000 last October (and I leave my system running all the time. It's never rebooted...)

I'm a little hesitant to recommend XP only because I have very limited experience with it. Off hand I'd say it HAS to be better than Win95 or ME but that is purely a gut reaction and tainted by my distaste of ME. If Craven recommends it I'd say it's safe (making note of the hardware issues..). He knows what he's talking about and I don't think he'd intentionally stear anyone wrong... Wink
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:05 pm
It's almost the same kernel as 2000. I had ME and saw the blue screen daily. I have used 4 computers with XP since its release and have yet to see the blue screen. XP compartmentalizes errors while on ME a single application often takes the whole system down.

But I had HUGE hardware compatibility problems when I first upgraded.

My scanner, graphics card (only for open GL graphics programs), DVD player, CD burner and all my homegrown programs were not compatible with XP (even under ME compatability mode).

But to give an indication of XP's worth I just went out and bought new hardware.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:27 pm
So, does this mean that I can count on you guys when I upgrade from ME to XP? I've been told it's a tricky thing to do.....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 05:30 pm
It can be tricky, but it can also be easy. Yup, youse can count on us, I have installed XP on many computers.

But remember: check for hardware compatibility first (use sozobe's link)!

XP is easy to install as long as compatible drivers exist.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2003 06:16 pm
Thanks Craven. Very Happy
0 Replies