application error?

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:00 pm
Frequently, I will have a box pop up on my pc that says:

explorer.exe-application error; the instruction memory could not be read; click ok to terminate the program.

What does that mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 991 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:39 pm
It may mean spyware, or a corrupted version of Explorer. If you do a search for posts with the word explorer.exe in it, nearly all you get are spyware removal topics in the Computers forum.

Get thee to this topic http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=54757 and start the process. Even if you do not actually have spyware, this is not a bad exercise to go through.

Good luck, yuckware removal is a major pain, if that's what it turns out to be.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:43 pm
Thanks, Jes. It doesn't seem to affect my pc, but I'm going to your link as we speak.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:49 pm
Too complicated for me, Jes, but thanks anyway.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:58 pm
Letty wrote:
Too complicated for me, Jes, but thanks anyway.

If the topic of your computer being infected is "too complicated" for you, your PC is going to get slower and slower, and you will be spreading viruses to other people, and you will end up with an unusable computer.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 02:16 pm
contrex, I don't think it is infected, because I keep apprised of that through scanning, but I was curious as to what it meant. My pc is slow anyway, because I have a dial up. I never do business on the web, so I'm not concerned with that.

My e-mail friends let me know periodically that the messages are clean. I will try and get a techie friend of mine to check it out, however. I am just not savvy enough to do it by myself.
0 Replies