Some small lies

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:42 am
Some small lies

We came in from Long Island late last night from a lovely evening spent with some cousins from my wife's side of the family. The night was rainfilled from the start and throughout an excellent sit-down dinner we listened to the gusts of wind rattling the window panes. Gingered Potato Soup followed by a rich Coq au Vin, surrounded by a pretty good wine and several fingers of Johnny Walker, led everyone to the best dinner ingredient - good talk. The four of us are certified providers of such and putting this group in one room insures fast trading of ideas and funny stories. We solved the current political conundrums, of course, and laid out the framework for a workable healthcare system all while looking through the artwork and family pictures of my wife's earliest years.

We played tug-of-war with the family dog and applauded our host's miracle catch of a vase diving towards shardsville after being pushed off the top of the bookcase by the smaller of the two cats. Dessert was a creamy chocolate cheesecake which was not only illegal and out of bounds for my diet, but I am sure, if one checked, would be found listed amongst the FBI's most wanted. I know I wanted, and had, more.

But this story is about coming into the city late at night. It was still raining and the winds, if anything, had picked up, blowing the car across the lane unless I paid strict attention. We had the rental car company's Never Lost GPS programmed to take us home and it did so without a hitch, zooming us through that confusing set of exits that, unaided, usually sends us South towards towards JFK instead of Northeast to the Throg's Neck Bridge and Washington Heights.

Coming into the city after midnight when most sensible people are settled into bed means trying to find the mythic, and sometimes hard fought over, prize-- the close-to-your-building parking spot. It hardly ever exists except in your mind's eye. You can circumnavigate a three block area for an hour some nights and never see a glowing taillight or a little plume of telltale exhaust. You do this because all New Yorkers are driven by the need to find, not love, but free parking. An hour, even late at night when you at the edge of exhaustion, is nothing if you can avoid the ignominious defeat of having to put the car into a parking garage for money. When and if you do find a place to park the story finds a place too, in your living-in-the-city archives of triumphs, as if you actually did something of merit. Discovering a genetic connection with allows humans to dispose of body fat merely by wishing it to go away would be on a equal footing with finding a large parking spot on the first go-round on a rainy night.

Which is what happened last night. Okay, so I am still working out the wishing fat away thing, but the parking spot- a bigger miracle than the catch of the falling vase- happened within fifty yards of the steps of our building. Maybe forty-five, I'll have to measure. I had just dropped off the spouse and had girded myself for the grueling hunt when I saw an odd thing. Down the street there was a gap in the number of the car rooftops that I could see. A gap is something you never see right away, but there it was. Right where the cross street butts into our street in a tee, there was a huge parking spot. I did a perfect Y turn, nosing into the space first, reversing my direction and then, in one smooth horizontal arabesque, backed into the space. I was in. I shut off the engine, killed the lights, got out and pressed the little button to lock the car.

It was then I noticed the headlights of the car stopped at the end of the crossstreet. It had been there for the few moments as I was swinging the car in, I was sure the occupants were hoping I was on my way out rather than on my way in. (I was in. Such joy.) The passenger sidedoor opened and out stepped a well-dressed young woman.

"Hey, I thought we should tell you that's not a real parking spot. You could get a ticket there."
I said "Oh?"
"Yeah, I've gotten a ticket there myself, so I thought we should tell you."

Did I mention the mythic and sometimes hard fought battles to find free parking? She sounded so sincere. Wasn't it nice that a New Yorker would take the time and trouble to help out, help out in the middle of a dark, rainy night, help out for no other reason or gain on their part, because, of course, they couldn't use the space either. What a nice thing to do for a stranger in their city!! Did I mention it was a rental car with out of state plates?

Well, I did my best to sound just as sincere when I replied:

"It's okay. I'm only going to be here a couple of minutes."

I wonder how long they waited.

http://img484.imageshack.us/img484/7405/stillthere6vu.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,046 • Replies: 27
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:00 am
Ive heard stories that there are many 1956 Oldsmobiles in NY that have been parked in 1956 in a really sweet spot , and the spot was so great that the guy didnt want to risk losing it so he left the car there.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:47 am
No mas, senor. We now have alternate side street parking, a method of determining on which side of the street it is legal to park on a particular day at a particular time. It is supposedly a set of rules, as in "Alternate Side Street Parking Rules are in force today." an announcement made on radio and tv several hundred times a year or as in "Alternate Side Street Parking Rules are suspended today." an announcement made on radio and tv about as many times as the 'in force' one, just at times when you would least suspect, like last Tuesday and Wednesday. It seems we were celebrating Eid, a word you may not play in Scrabble, the holiest Muslim day of the year.

Alternate side street parking is one of the best educational tools we have, it informs people while they are least suspecting. Most people know that the next suspended day will be Martin Luther King Day but the one after that is Chinese New Year, oops, in New York we say Asian Lunar New Year (Read this, you were not born in the year of the Snake after all.) No one with skin like mine would know a thing about that without alternate side street parking.

That goes double in October. See the Calendar.

Other exceptions, perceptions and stuff re:Parking in NYC

If you are driving into New York, the rules are simple. No matter what day you arrive, the rules will be in force.

Joe(a nice fellow said he'd watch the car.)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm
That's pretty neat. The parking problem was similar when I lived in San Francisco, many years ago.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:35 pm
I thought you might be speculating on the new form, Fictionalized Memoirs (when they wouldn't publish the book as pure fiction).
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:49 pm
I was reading about that this morning, how Mr. Frey has gotten our attention with his unfocused reality.

Several writers are quoted in this piece from the NYT:
My True Story More or less

Here are the final paragraphs:

But many writers say that the larger loss - even in a memoir-drenched world - would be to literature itself.

"I think it's sad that when publishers are given a manuscript that doesn't quite work on its own terms, they just change the genre rather than trying to get it rewritten or, God forbid, buying a better book from all the people out there who are writing good books," said Meghan Daum, a novelist and the author of "My Misspent Youth," a collection of memoir-ish essays.

Geoffrey Wolff, the author of "The Duke of Deception," a well-regarded memoir about his con artist father, added that while sorting fact from fiction will always be an inexact science, trying to do so in writing is still essential.

"I think the memoir has some formal properties and some unique challenges, if you will, that make it valuable to write, as opposed to fiction," he said. "And if the reader doesn't care anymore about those distinctions, well then I think it's a shame."

"In a book of memories in which the writer has promised to try to get it right and there's some gross coincidence - you meet your long-lost cousin on a train in Europe and it changes your life - that can be integral to a memoir, while in a piece of fiction it would be seen as the cheapest kind of literary device," Mr. Wolff added. "There are differences, and they matter."

In other words, sometimes life tells a more compelling story than fiction can invent. But usually it does not. Or at least it tells a different kind of story, and readers, Mr. Wolff said, should not allow Mr. Frey or other memoirists to try to sell them the reality-show version.

A novelist from long before the dawn of reality television probably put it best. "The symmetry of form attainable in pure fiction cannot so readily be achieved in a narration essentially having less to do with fable than with fact," Melville wrote in "Billy Budd."

"Truth uncompromisingly told will always have its ragged edges."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 09:48 am
Yeah, yeah, but did you get a ticket for parking there after all?

(heh heh)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:30 pm
I'm not sure whether I'm more disturbed by this conspicuous case of fraud or by the people who should know better--like Ophra--who feel that writers of memoirs are entitled to distort history for their own purposes.

That way madness lies. I'll give a certain poetic license to the inevitable sea changes wrought by memory--after all, a memoir is history from a particular point of view. I can't accept an overnight stay in jail mutating into a three month stay.

I haven't read Frey's book, but I'd guess that both inmates and guards in that fictional prison are either made up of whole cloth or real people who have been maligned to make the memoirs profitable.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 07:23 pm
Eva (my so-called friend Twisted Evil ) wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, but did you get a ticket for parking there after all?

(heh heh)

The answer is ,,,,.....///// yes.

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, (
don't you love the word unbeknownst? A lot of Republicans will be using that word this Spring--- "Unbeknownst to me, this Jack person was shoveling money into ....) I digress. Unbeknownst to me the city put in a little teeny tiny wheel chair rank right there at the tee. You can barely see it, it's
very small.

It cost about fifty bucks a foot to park there. It's 38" wide.

That's right.

Joe(Your honor, I'd like to plead that I had taken a fifth)Nation
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
It's nice to hear that people in NYC can be friendly and helpful to strangers after all. See? They were trying to warn you, just like they said.

$50 a foot?! Damn!

Serves you right for being such a cynic, though.

Come on now. Didn't you even SUSPECT that something was wrong when you saw a great parking spot like that open right where you needed it? It was too good to be true. Way too easy.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 07:34 pm
Re: Some small lies
Hey Joe.
I just wanted to say that I thought your initial post was a very neat and intriuging piece of writing.

I especially like the sentence quoted below. I agonise over a sentence sometimes, turning things around and scrapping bits and then starting over.

The sentence below is a gem. The content and pace work to put both the visuals AND the motion of the car, driving into the city at night, together. Its clean and sharp and has a kind of pun at the end that feels like a twist at the end of a short story.
Its a lot to get into one sentence, but rolls along as smoothly... well as smoothly as a car cruising around looking for a parking space! Very Happy
Perfect.

Joe Nation wrote:

Coming into the city after midnight when most sensible people are settled into bed means trying to find the mythic, and sometimes hard fought over, prize-- the close-to-your-building parking spot.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 08:34 pm
Thank you, E.

I love words. I can tell you do too. I love the way words make particular parts of my mind light up. How, without any real effort, they bring forth a cascade of images triggered by a couple of syllables.

Sneaker.
Dandelion.

gravel
oakleaf

bench
shadow

dew
ant

dewdrop
anthill

cumulus

shoelace

retied

==
I'll say one thing about agonizing about sentences: the ones agonized over are almost always the lessers to their freeborn cousins. Why is it that the best writing seems effortless? It's not, it just seems that way sometimes as the words march onto the the paper in sweetly rhythmic clauses, puffed up, full of meanings and forceful images. For every time that happens there are three dozen other moments when all you need to finish the little piece about Jack's face is a couple of nice round sentences and all you can do is sit in your chair and stare at the blinking cursor as it marks out the waning seconds of the day.

regards

Joe(that blinking cursor)Nation
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 10:00 pm
Yeah, that blinking cursor...

Sometimes I marvel at it's patience.
And that it doesn't seem to mind too much being stared at in the dark Shocked

but then again, staring at a blank page can feel a bit like staring into an abyss. How does the saying go? well you know...

Smile

writing's a funny old game.

best, Endy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 12:49 pm
I learn a lesson in Humility or something.

The 'or something' is what I was trying to describe to some friends the other night. I am susceptible to the throes of euphoria. They tell me I am nuts, that whatever money I've spent on counseling has been wasted, that such talk is ridiculous and beneath me and several other things that were not as nice. My point was that when I am really happy, full of joy, euphoric, I get a little blind to reality. I don't see things as clear as I ought to and that disaster sometimes follows.

I use the example of my losing my keys on Marathon Sunday. I was at the top of the world so happy, so happy that I really didn't double check my bag's zipper. And there was that other time, my friend's eyes glaze over, but I think I am on to something but that's not what this is about, it's about the ticket.

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/6936/ticket2r9el.jpgThe Ticket is for parking on a pedestrian ramp, the kind of slanted cut made in a sidewalk, usually at a corner, so that wheelchairs and persons with walkers can negotiate through the neighborhood. The fine is $165.oo US. I should blow up the particular line, but take my word for it, it's the biggest fine on the piece of paper. I could have parked next to a fire hydrant and paid less ($115) or been caught standing in Commercial Metered Parking Spot, whatever that is, and paid way less.($95)

My liberal side says "Good, you parked in a place meant to aid the handicapped for crying out loud, you should pay." while my conservative side says.... wait, I don't have a conservative side. What kills me. What ticks me off. What bugs me, is that I had not one but two chances to avoid paying. One was to listen to the passing stranger. Yeah. I blew that off (pompous ass).

The second, and now to my mind more important, chance was when I went down in the morning to take the shot of the car, chortling all the way. It was about seven thirty am. There was NO ticket on the car, and, HERE IS THE DENSE PART, I looked right at the yellow paint on the slant in the sidewalk and, because I was blinded by the throes of euphoria [are we back to that already??] I didn't move the car. I could have. I could have taken it around the block a couple of times and re-parked it. but Nooooooo.

So I beat myself up for about an hour over this. I had planned to go down to mid-town and buy some new running tights and a jacket. I've been freezing on the morning runs. Now I was in hock to the city for One hundred and Sixty five smackers which ironically enough was just about what I was going to spend on the gear. I started the car and put the defroster on Depths of Hell and scraped the ice and snow off on the windshield all while whining and berating myself and trying to think of some interesting way of getting out of paying.

"Your honor, the placement of the said pedestrian rank is in such manner... ."

I thought for a minute about covering the ramp with snow, and claiming there was no way for me to see it. "As this photo will show, your grace, the amount concealing the said pedestrian ramp was of such sufficiency as to prevent me from... ."

But as I walked out of the Hertz garage and headed for the subway, it hit me. These things happen. Not very profound, but true. These things happen and pay you do and then you move on. SO, I am going to take my lunch for the next two months instead of chowing down at the local eatery (Depression hits local business, sales way off for two months!!!) and I went to the sports stuff store and bought the tights and jacket.

I had a really good week at the gym, and with the new clothes the morning run there was a pleasure, a joy, but not euphoric.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
Can I interest you in a ST Annes Hospice CLERGY sign for your windhsield?. I dont know if itll work in the BA but in Harrisburg Pa it does. (And there isnt even a St Annes hospice that I know of).

WAit a minit. It was a HERTZ car? your name was nowheres on the ticket just a license plate? Next time call the police and tell em your rental car was stolen.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 01:14 pm
This guy is eating his soup and when he's finished his wife says,"Was it good Joe?"

And he says,"Yes,it was great.You make super soup darling.What were those yellow things on the top?

She says,"Oh that's your dandruff."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 02:40 pm
Bravo, Joe! I am proud of you.

Glad you bought yourself the gear, too. I don't want to read about you freezing out there, no matter how well written it would be. Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:39 pm
Next time call the police and tell em your rental car was stolen.

"Yes, if your honor pleases, the car in question was legally parked in front of my building at midnight. I then went inside and went to sleep. When I arose the following morning I was surprised to find that it had been moved to an illegal parking spot."

"Moved? Moved by who?"

"My theory is that during the night one of my neighbors stole the car, drove it around for some unknown purpose and then placed the car in the illegal parking place."

"HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAH!!"

"If your honor pleases... ."

"Ha HA HA (choking sound) HAH HA HA (Cough) HA (Hacking Cough) HA"

"Your Honor, I have calculated the dis... ."

Judge waves left arm and points with his right hand at his throat. He is beet red.
"Ergh Nergh er erg nah showking."
Bangs left hand on the bench.

"I have a chart that shows the mileage to where we visited that night as compared to... ."

Two policemen bound up to the judge's chair and with the help of the bailiff perform first, the Heimlich Maneuver and then, when that fails to revive the jurist, they throw him onto the bench and begin CPR. Four Emergency Medical Assistants bang through the doors carrying an IV equipped stretcher. They push the cops off and hook the judge up to a defibrillator.

"200" one yells. "Clear."

There is a little plume of smoke from the judge's chest and he starts coughing and shaking his head.

"He's coming to." One of the cops shouts, "Listen. He's trying to say something."

Everyone leans forward. There is nothing but silence as the crowd watchs the judge struggle to speak:

"Listen." He rasps. "Tell that son of bitch that's the dumbest lie I ever heard and he has to pay the goddamned One Hundred and Sixty Five Dollars.

Joe(If you examine the data on this viewgraph)Nation
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:55 pm
you have a lot to learn about the criminal mind. First, you report thetheft to Hertz and then they tell you to call police.

Why does the fact that the thief moved it mean swo much. Stolen is Stolen. Your attorney from Zwindle and Msue will not let you speak a word. Listen to him hell get you off with a clean record and no fee to either Hertz or the city

He, on the other hand , will run you about 5 grand.

Hey, Im a problem solver, its what I do. Im not the one that got the damn ticket and probably some POINTS and that look of disdain when you walk among the hohest folk of your little community.

FArmer (I never kill nobody that dont need killin) man
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 06:29 pm
In England our lawyers are known as Sue,Grabbit & Runne.
0 Replies