Windows Media Player Not Responding

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:32 am
I watch movies on my computer. However, many of them have specific spots where the video freezes but the sound continues to play. I pause the movie and try to move the slider back to replay it, but it doesn't respond. Window Media Player is then "not responding" and I have to close it with the task manager. I start the movie up again and get to the point right after the freeze point. Everything works fine until the next freeze point comes along. Every time I try it, it's the exact same point. I know that the files are alright because a friend has the exact same copy (he sent it to me) and his works perfectly. Is this a problem with Windows Media Player? Am I missing a file or is a file corrupt? I got all the new updates and nothing has worked. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 493 • Replies: 8
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 01:45 am
Very well could be a problem with the files you're trying to play, but the first thing to do, IMO, would be to uninstall Windows Media Player, reboot, reinstall it, update it, reboot, and try it again. Another option to try might be an alternate media player - but be careful, lots of the free ones come with unwanted tag-along freinds. IrfanView is a fairly usefull all-around graphics app - and yuckware-free (as long as you don't install the e-Bay toolbar). There are some others listed HERE, but, as mentioned, be careful; check 'em out, or ask here, before downloading and installing something that's gonna wind up being a sure road to bigger headaches.
0 Replies

n2soccer21

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
Well yeah, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a while back, I guess I could try it again. But not only that, I tried using Logitech's Media Life program and it has the same problem in the exact same place. Then I tried PowerDVD; same thing.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 10:53 am
That pretty much points to a problem with the files you're trying to play, then, particularly if other files play fine.
0 Replies

n2soccer21

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 02:25 pm
Well, yeah, you would think so. Except that the exact same file works fine on a friends computer. It makes no sense to me, that's why I'm asking Able2Know.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:17 pm
If that file is on your machine, how is it being played on another machine - are they networked and accessing one another's files?
0 Replies

n2soccer21

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 12:18 am
Yes, we are all on the same local network (at college).
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 01:03 am
Fine - are the files hosted on your machine or on another machine on the network? Might be a network issue.
0 Replies

n2soccer21

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 06:12 pm
He had the file, then sent it to me. I will have him play the file from my computer to see if the problem was with the fiel transfer, but until I check that, assume it works fine on his computer.
0 Replies