Shelley Winters Dead

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:20 am
CTV.com
Oscar winner Shelley Winters dies
Guardian Unlimited - 3 hours ago
Shelley Winters, the double Oscar winner and sex symbol from the golden age of Hollywood, has died at the age of 85. The actress, who had romances with some of Hollywood's leading men including Errol Flynn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 904 • Replies: 14
No top replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:05 am
Re: Shelley Winters Dead
I knew the name but I couldn't picture the face untill they said on the radio that she played Roseanne's grandmother on the TV show Roseanne. Then I knew who she was. Shows my level of class. Rolling Eyes She was a good actress. I liked her.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:17 am
I remember her from "The Poseidon Adventure" Sometimes we remember people from things theyd rather us not remember.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:19 am
She was a salty old broad, and will be missed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:08 am
hey, edgar. Glad you started this thread, Texas.

Like farmerman, I remember her well from The Poseidon Adventure. I believe that is the first time I saw Gene Hackman as well.

Was she in Alfie? I was a real movie goer at one time, but I have lost out on the cinema, I'm afraid.

Salute to Shelly.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:26 am
She was great in a Patch of Blue

ps she looked like my mothers twin.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:33 am
She was Ruby in What's it all about Alfie.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:40 am
She was phenominal in Lolita...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:40 pm
She was poor Alice Tripp in 'A Place in the Sun' with Monty Cliff and Elizabeth Taylor. Wonderfully pathetic.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:33 pm
She won an Oscar for The Diary of Anne Frank. What was her other Oscar for?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:22 pm
Poseiden Adventure?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:41 pm
You see Mr. Scott? In the water I'm a very skinny lady.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:46 pm
Shelley Winters exemplifies lifetime achievement, not only as a remarkably talented and versatile actress, but also as a highly respected teacher who has helped many others to achieve their dreams as she has achieved hers. Ms. Winters has overcome adversity with determination and effort to prove her ability as a performer, while sharing her knowledge with newcomers and dedicating her time to teaching the craft of acting. A long-standing member of The Actors Studio, she is considered to be one of the industry's most respected coaches and has been instrumental in molding the careers of many of today's finest film and stage actors. Her professional body of work in more than 100 films, as well as her noteworthy work on stage, is a great achievement and an example for emerging talent to follow.
Shelley Winters' distinguished professional career spans six decades in film and theater in a wide range of roles demonstrating her ability, which has been recognized with 2 Academy Awards, the first for her performance as Mrs. Van Daan in The Diary of Anne Frank (1959), the second for her performance in A Patch of Blue (1965), as well as Oscar nominations for her work in A Place in the Sun (1951) and The Poseidon Adventure (1972), in addition to many other awards.

Shelley Winters was born Shirley Schrift in St. Louis, Missouri, on August 18, 1922. She appeared on stage at the age of 4 in St. Louis before her family moved to Brooklyn, New York. With great determination she triumphed over the poverty and unfairness of life in the slums. Ms. Winters appeared in beauty pageants and high school plays and worked as a store clerk and a model in order to finance her dramatic studies. She performed in summer stock and worked as a chorus girl, went on national tour with Meet the People, and then achieved her goal of breaking into the legitimate theater. She made her Broadway debut in the S. J. Perelman comedy The Night Before Christmas in 1941 and after a number of roles on stage, she was brought to Hollywood by Columbia Pictures. Harry Cohn put her under contract to Columbia after seeing her perform in the hit show Rosalinda. Ms. Winters made her film debut in 1943 in What A Woman!, followed by such films as She's a Soldier, Too (1944), Knickerbocker Holiday (1944), Nine Girls (1944), A Thousand and One Nights (1945), and Tonight and Every Night (1945). In 1947 she received significant attention for her role in A Double Life, directed by George Cukor, as the waitress strangled by a deranged actor, played by Ronald Colman.

Ms. Winters' reputation as an actress was firmly established in the film A Place in the Sun (1951), directed by George Stevens, and she received an Academy Award nomination for her performance as the factory girl drowned by her seducer, played by Montgomery Clift. Some of the films that followed included Phone Call from a Stranger (1952), Executive Suite (1954), I Am a Camera (1955), and The Night of the Hunter (1955).

In 1955 Ms. Winters went back to the Broadway stage for several years, including performing in the hit A Hatful of Rain, then returned to film in 1959, determined to shed the "glamour girl" image she had at the outset of her film career and to fully demonstrate her abilities as an actress. To do so she worked at the film studio during the day and studied with Charles Laughton at night and on weekends. She won Academy Awards for Best Supporting Actress for her roles as Mrs. Van Daan in The Diary of Anne Frank (1959) and Rose-Ann D'Arcey in the film A Patch of Blue (1965). Ms. Winters donated her first Oscar to the Anne Frank museum in Amsterdam, presenting it personally to Anne Frank's father, Otto Frank.

Ms. Winters' film credits include The Great Gatsby (1949), Winchester '73 (1950), Mambo (1954), Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), Lolita (1962), The Chapman Report (1962), A House Is Not A Home (1964), Alfie (1966), Harper (1966), Buona Sera, Mrs. Campbell (1968), Bloody Mama (1970), Who Slew Auntie Roo (1971), Blume in Love (1973), Journey Into Fear (1975), Next Stop Greenwich Village (1976), Pete's Dragon (1977), King of the Gypsies (1978), City on Fire (1979), S.O.B. (1981), Over the Brooklyn Bridge (1984), Jury Duty (1995), and The Portrait of a Lady (1996), among many others.

In the early '70s, Ms. Winters successfully returned to Broadway, and in addition to her nonstop work in film, she has appeared frequently on television, from the early days of live television until today, and is an Emmy Award winner.

Ms. Winters is also a writer and the author of two bestselling autobiographies, Shelley, Also Known As Shirley (1981), and Shelley II: The Middle of My Century (1989).
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:48 pm
Ah, according to Wikipedia, the other Oscar was for A Patch of Blue.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:42 pm
It was the wildest thing! Early this afternoon, something said to turn on TCM, they may be in the midst of a little Shelley Winters tribute and SURE ENOUGH, turning to TCM, what's on but "A Place in the Sun"?!?
0 Replies