Creation Museum

Chumly

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 11:06 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I don't suggest (as you did) that magic=religion. The two things are clearly not the same by definition.

Err...

rosborne979 wrote:
The very nature of creationism is an assumption of magic. How can it be otherwise?
If as you say "creationism is an assumption of magic" and if we agree that creationism is a religion, then by default you are inferring the congruency between magic & religion.

rosborne979 wrote:
Perhaps one of them will show up here and speak for themselves on whether they consider acts of God (like creation) to be magic.
It would be interesting but I would not hold my breath that a Creationist will concede any part of their religion to be magical or as you say "an assumption of magic".
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:01 am
rosborne979 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
My reference to cohesive and elegant relates to the patterns we see in nature, evolution being a major cohesive and elegant process as an example.
Part of my point, evolution does not have to take place in a cohesive and elegant manner and can in fact be isolated and erratic

I was talking about the patterns we see in nature which connect the various aspects of science, namely the correlation between geologic evidence and fossil evidence and timeframes for the Earth in particular.

Ah, but how can you be sure that is really a pattern and not just the human mind attempting to process information? In its attempts to process sensory information, the human mind groups data and that grouping leads to patterns.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:52 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Ah, but how can you be sure that is really a pattern and not just the human mind attempting to process information? In its attempts to process sensory information, the human mind groups data and that grouping leads to patterns.

Maybe pattern isn't the right word.

What do you call it when stellar evolution says that the Earth should be around 4.5 billion years old, and then Geologic evidence agrees. And then when evolution predicts that we should find life forms evolving over time, and we start finding fossils in geologic strata which match those timelines. And when Darwin predicts that we will find some mechanism for inheretance, and then we find DNA.

I guess that's convergence more than patterns. I can't think of a better term to describe it. Do you see what I'm trying to say?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:43 am
Yes. It was just puzzling to see you arguing with Chumly over the definition of a Creationist.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:10 pm
I try and argue respectfully and I have great respect for rosborne979.

Argue:
To put forth reasons for or against; debate
To attempt to prove by reasoning; maintain or contend:
To give evidence of; indicate

Valid points:
What is a Creationist?
Does the Creationist's religion equate to magic?
What would Creationists say about their religion and magic?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:25 pm
One of Clarke's three laws could shed a bit of entertaining light
Quote:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 03:13 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Yes. It was just puzzling to see you arguing with Chumly over the definition of a Creationist.

The confustion is partly my fault for having to rush my posts due to pressures from the daily grind.

Usually I think Chumley takes close to the same stance on these issues as I do, but one of those posts a ways back confused me and somehow we ended up trying to speak for creationists. Weird.

I would have to review what I wrote, but I think my main point to Farmerman at the start of this, was that everything can be construed as evidence for creationism *if* you explain things with Magic. And people who believe literally in Adam and Eve, and Noah's flood and seven day creation, essentially believe in magic, and they are using magic to explain all the evidence.

I think Chumley was saying that most creationists would prefer not to call their beliefs magic. And maybe they don't. But my point still stands... I think Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 03:16 pm
Chumly wrote:
One of Clarke's three laws could shed a bit of entertaining light
Quote:
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Yes, one of my favorite "laws" Smile

I remember quite a debate revolving around this particular law last week. I think it was in another thread... Maybe the Francis Crick Panspermia thread? I'll try to find it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 03:47 pm
ros, I saw that you two were not so much arguing as talking past each other. I agree that , maybe Creationists would rather not have their "mechanism" termed magic, but I dont think theyre necessarily the ones in charge of the terminology that we use.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:14 pm
farmerman wrote:
ros, I saw that you two were not so much arguing as talking past each other. I agree that , maybe Creationists would rather not have their "mechanism" termed magic, but I dont think theyre necessarily the ones in charge of the terminology that we use.

I guess if a witch turns you into a toad it's magic, but if God sends a plague or floods the planet it's a miracle.

Maybe it's the scope of the thing which makes a difference, like SMALL magic and BIG magic.

BIG magic seems to get respect. Smile
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:37 pm
Chumly wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
farmerman wrote:
I would imagine that the" Creation museum" would be full of posters, directionals, and computer graphic displays. I cant recall any field evidence that even remotely support Creationism

Actually, everything supports creationism; poof there's a planet, poof there's a fish, poof there's a frog. You can explain everything with magic. The problem is that magic doesn't *explain* anything.

The challenge for creationists is to explain why the evidence shows clear signs of evolution and no signs of magic. The problem is not to explain particular species or events, but all the patterns. Nature is cohesive and elegant, not isolated and erratic.
How are genetic mutations by random high energy particles "cohesive and elegant" and not "isolated and erratic"?

How would a massive meteor strike wiping out mankind be "cohesive and elegant" and not "isolated and erratic"?

Since you say "everything supports creationism" how does the red shift support creationism?

Since you claim that "The challenge for creationists is to explain why the evidence shows clear signs of evolution and no signs of magic" and since the creationists claim the underlying impetus is the literal interpretation of the Bible in a religious sense how do you reconcile your assertion?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 05:40 pm
Chumly wrote:

No harm, no foul. Smile

At least it led to an interesting question... Do creationists realize they believe in magic?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:50 pm
they call it "miracle"
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:39 am
Rosborne979 wrote:
Do creationists realize they believe in magic?

Hi Ros,

I know you like using the term 'magic' because of it's derisive connotation.

Yes, of course creationists believe that not everything is the result of natural processes. By definition, the action of God would be supernatural, no?

That's why you want to pooh-pooh it. Go ahead.

Of course, as we just finished discussing, a large portion of the scientific community believes that natural processes alone cannot account for the origin of man, etc. Ditto many of the great scientists of history.

You keep saying you're tired of the same subject being brought up repetitiously, but often as not just like now, you're the one who brings it up. OK by me but kind of a catch-22 for you.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 05:59 am
real life wrote:
Of course, as we just finished discussing, a large portion of the scientific community believes that natural processes alone cannot account for the origin of man, etc. Ditto many of the great scientists of history.

No, a considerable portion of the scientific community has the belief that God somehow contributed to the evolutionary process. That is not the same as saying that they do not believe that natural processes alone cannot account for the origin of man.

Did it ever occur to you, that they may believe that God made the natural laws and then let natural processes do his "dirty work"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 06:05 am
real life wrote:

You keep trotting out these canards. You continue to ignore that the survey to which you referred had no statistical controls--it included people for whom the definition of "scientist" was "iffy" at best, such as detiticians and indutrial engineers; not being restricted to earth and life scientists included a great many inexpert opinions, worth no more than those of any well-educated man or woman on the street--but most importantly, you continue to willfully conflate cosmic origins with "the origin of man." You hope to disingenuously create the impression that whereas a certain number of scientists (once again, dubiously construed) consider that the cosmos may have been a theistic creation, this is the same as saying that man were a direct creation of a diety--this is not warranted by the survey to which you refer. As for "many of the great scientists of history," that represents a body of people who believed in all seriousness any number of what have proven to be false premises which are hilarious today.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 09:19 am
real life wrote:
Hi Ros,

I know you like using the term 'magic' because of it's derisive connotation.

At least it's more accurate than "Evolutionist", Mr. innocent.

real life wrote:
Yes, of course creationists believe that not everything is the result of natural processes. By definition, the action of God would be supernatural, no?

Ok. Just checking to make sure we're in agreement.

real life wrote:
That's why you want to pooh-pooh it. Go ahead.

I don't Pooh-pooh it, I just call it what it is. The reason being that we keep stating that science is based on naturalism, and therefor, magic can not be used in scientific theories. So I just wanted to make sure we all recognize magic in an explanation when we see it.

real life wrote:

That's not what they said. They said God was involved. But they didn't say what God is to them, or how it was involved, so a great many of them probably still don't support your radical view of things.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:43 am
real life wrote:
Of course, as we just finished discussing, a large portion of the scientific community believes that natural processes alone cannot account for the origin of man, etc.
Even if true (which is in doubt) why would I assume your view of a personal interventionist monotheistic Christian god has any more likelihood than the hundreds of thousands of other religions that man has adhered to?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:24 am
Quote:
You keep trotting out these canards.

"Canard" means,if I may quote the Shorter Oxford,-"An extravagent or absurd story circulated as a hoax;a false report."

Thus real life has not just been accused of being misguided and foolish.He has been accused of deliberately and cynically misleading us knowing that what he is saying is false.And further more of continually doing it which is translatable from "keep trotting out."

That is how we in England take the word "canard".
Is it different in America?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
In Canada we take it to mean Duck Smile
0 Replies