maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:15 pm
dlowan: Leave it to you to get us back on point.

Do you consider those who follow their signs closely and make life decisions based upon them as practicing a religion?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:38 pm
I get news from the christian science monitor.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:40 pm
No - though possibly the people who really study astrology might be? I do not know enough about the finer details of it to know whether it seeks to explain existence, or suchlike, which is the type of thing I associate with a full-blown religion.

I am sure somebody who knows more will be able to clarify.

I think for most it is harmless fun - and for others a way of focusing their thinking about their lives in ways that might be quite beneficial for all I know.

I agree with Craven that much of it is couched in language so vague, and so full of general truths about people, that one can make of it pretty much whatever makes sense at the time.

I know people who have found getting their full horoscopes done very helpful - I found the detailed stuff no less generalized than the little bits of fluff in the paper - but they interacted with it, and with the person who cast it, in a way that was helpful - sort of a meditative exercise, perhaps?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:43 pm
dlowan wrote:
I note astrology to be, in essence, a Rorschach - since a thread discussing it has now turned into a political argument about the media!

But you know meanings of images on a computer screen are in essence accepted through a Rorschach test. It does not degrade the significance of images there.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:47 pm
Actually, Satt, I was making a smart arse comment on that occasion about the ubiquitousness of a certain type of political argument here!

However, since you raise it, I DO believe our reactions to astrology to have something of the same quality as our reactions to other semi-random stimuli.

I THINK I know what your comment means - but, before I comment - could you please clarify it?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:51 pm
If a symbol has a meaning to someone, it has changed the world of the person. And I can pose a question like this: Without a person what is the world?
(Not necessarily asking an answer.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 04:23 pm
Well, ya can't observe something without changing it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 04:27 pm
heisenberg
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 04:27 pm
If you notice that you are a conscious being perceiving and conceiving the world, the distinction between "subjective" and "objective" becomes extremely obscure or even meaningless.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 04:31 pm
BTW, the uncertain principle which is connected with the name of Heisenberg is nothing but a usual inequality which has been famous in Analysis in math far before the emergence of quantum mechanics.
This is the reason why I said mathematicians might be indifferent about quantum effects.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 09:26 am
Getting back to "Do we fit our sun sign." Good grief, politics pokes its ugly head everywhere!

I think astrology is helpful to some, while others may get their "help" elsewhere. At times it's just a distraction, as in when we feel low, bad, negative, our "chart" can indicate we're terrific and can be madly rich and successful if we will only work a little harder..." So, what's the harm in knowing we have work to do, that nothing comes by magic. Actually, this is what anything or anybody will tell us during these low periods.

Craven, whatayatalk? Geminis are "two faced?" Would be better to think we Geminis see and understand so many different sides of a thing that why-bother-to-take-one-of-those-positons? We also can "see" into people and know what they are all about regardless of what they say. So, we are good writers about people. All signs have a negative. The Scorpio is either a scorpion or a flying eagle.

Anyhow, nobody would "fit" a sun sign except vaguely. Our general "looks" come from the rising sign. Yes, Leo's will have a "mane" of hair and swing it around a lot, looking regal. Pieces will have big sexy eyes.

What is so complicated? I like astrology, especially when it comes to my pets. If I don't know when they were born I don't know why they do these crazy things. For heavens sake, don't get a Gemini dog - I've found cancer the best as they love the home and yet are fearless. Well, Gemini dogs can be perfect if you like crazy things flying around and who win all the obstacle courses and jump competitions.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 10:45 am
Urgh, all this talk makes me dizzy...astrololgy, like religion of any kind, is just another attempt by us to understand things we don't understand. What works for one person may not work for someone else. It is the end result, not the process that is important.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 03:17 pm
Who said we don't understand it?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 04:09 pm
Sun signs alone do not astrology make....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 04:25 pm
Re: SunSigns
Craven de Kere wrote:
... Little did they know that I had taken selections from the horoscopes of all of the sunsigns and delivered them all an identical horoscope.

GEMINI (MITHUNA)

Persons when born in Gemini or Mithuna is rising have a wavering mind, often tall and straight in nature and active in motion, forehead broad, eyes clear and nose, a bit snub. Gemini are active and become experts in mathematical sciences; and mechanical sciences provided Saturn has some strong influence over them. They will be "jack of all trades but master of none". Gemini are vivacious, but liable to be inconstant. They will have sudden nervous breakdowns and must exercise a certain amount of caution in moving with the opposite sex; a habit of self-control must be cultivated. Mind of Gemini will be often conscious of their own faults. Gemini are liable to fraud and deceit will characterize their nature. If evil planets are found in Gemini, trickery and deceit will characterize their nature. Many of these traits can be corrected by training.

_______

Just a little more training needed???........... Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2003 06:49 pm
In general, the meaning you find in lines of a message is nothing but you and your universe.
0 Replies