Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:12 am
coincidence does not exist, that much I agree on, neither does certainty (in mostcases) but both words are used to describe eventsin practical terms.

In any case the lack of aleatory events does not prove a relation.

I'm beggining to think this is gonna go in circles, do you really assert a connection between the two or is the lack of crtainty the point you are making?

If so this can be summed up with a mutual declaration of the absence of random events and that the only thing we can be certain of is our own ignorance.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:20 am
Causal relations are not enough to grasp human existence in the universe. If one notices the complicated interdependence of events in the spacetime or higher-dimensional space, an interpreted meaning of a mystic message can be a realization of the individual consciousness (if any) in the specetime.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:23 am
Please clarify how you consider a mystic message to possibly be a realization "of the indivividual consciousness (if any) in the specetime".

And the don't know factor is gonna fall short with me, that's the same reasoning that was used to call the sun a god.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:26 am
One can find a particular implication which has a meaning for an individual in a message, and the meaning depends on the situation in which the individual is placed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:28 am
Other than the subjective issue of meanings extracted from situations and messages what relation have you established?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:29 am
I will be off line for a while.
(I can continue this discussion (debate) after a few hours later.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:30 am
Oddly enough same here, though I'll probably go to sleep when I return.

When you get a chance; how much of this is a dance and how much of this do you really place credence in?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 07:49 am
I suppose I could have polled all the other Virgos that year to learn if they also found new jobs in different cities as the result of a family tragedy. It just didn't seem worth it at the time. I didn't expect to run across this conversation.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:02 am
I do not believe in horoscopes at all. It seems to me that astrology is one of the paganry remnants that managed to remain in the monotheistic societies. While such remnants like Christmas tree (that has no relation to birth of Savior, and is infact a borrowing from the ancient German tribal traditions) or Easter bunny(having nothing to do with His Resurrection) are quite innocent, astrology helps ancient supersticions to be retained for centuries, and it undermines real faith in God, substituting it with belief in non-existing things. IMO, belief in astrology should not be shared by either Christians, or Jews, or Muslims.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:16 am
The people I know of who read their horoscopes do it for fun. I think a few may be hoping for insight, but they don't appear to be true believers in it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:38 am
i believe in horoscopes to the same degree i believe in Fox News, its all interesting intertainment but worthless.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:49 am
I consider the contents of the Fox News broadcasts being trustworthy, but I reject horoscopes as a pagan mental perversion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 08:58 am
I view both as excercises in futility.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:42 pm
dys and edgar: I know, I know, we should all get our news from Dan Rather, then we wouldn't have to mess with all of that pesky "two sides to the story stuff" that obviously has you guys so worked up.

Is it really that painful to be in the minority?

I don't remember it as such....
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:46 pm
I haven't watched Fox, ABC, NBC, or CBS for my news in a long long time. Actually I have never watched a single broadcast of Fox News. I don't have cable - no CNN and whatever else is on there. I get my news here and there and listen to Pacifica a lot. Being in the minority is an honor when the majority fails to think, but gets all their opinions from sound bites and cheerleader media.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 02:50 pm
Quote:
I haven't watched Fox, ABC, NBC, or CBS for my news in a long long time. Actually I have never watched a single broadcast of Fox News.

Uh........

Gee......

Edgar...............

I guess that DOES make you eminently qualified to comment upon the content, doesn't it?

Thanks for the admission.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:00 pm
I note astrology to be, in essence, a Rorschach - since a thread discussing it has now turned into a political argument about the media!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:04 pm
Well, the ones who use Fox all the time are the ones pushing the Bush crap. Why do you think I ignore it?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:08 pm
Oh, ok, edgar.

Quote:
I have never watched a single broadcast of Fox News.

I see now.

Very, very enlightening.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2003 03:10 pm
The people I work with read the horoscopes in the daily paper as a ritual every lunchtime.

The ritual has different meanings for different folk - however, I note that for all of us - (including, to my horror, my absolutely sceptical self) - a horoscope which - as occasionally occurs - happens, in its elliptical and allusory way, to hit the mark, is greeted with great attention and some awe.

The multitudes that do not - even with the generous leeway allowed by our pattern-creating consciousness and the fluffy wording of the little prognostications - are soon forgotten.
0 Replies