Indifference/ The Most Effective Response to Irrationality

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 09:20 am
Momma Angel wrote:
And those of you that do not post on Able2know.com, I encourage you to do so. We are in a spiritual war today. We need as many Christians as we can possibly get to stand united against the father of lies.

I see this delightful quote as an attempt by Momma Angel at debate by distraction, an effort to create a storm by signing up cohorts to provide support for her own inability to debate coherently. I'm not a mistress-of-debate myself, but I recognize the ability to argue well in others. Repetitious maunderings don't count. Bringing in more poor arguers won't do any good for her cause.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 09:29 am
Setanta wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
John Creasy wrote:

Speak english.

Get education.

I'm working on that thanks.

There is absolutely no evidence that this is true from anything you have ever posted at this site.

Would you like to see my college transcripts???
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 09:30 am
That wouldn't prove that you've learned anything more than the ability to puke up what you instructors expect to see on exam papers--but if you get a nut from that kind of thing, knock yerself out.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 09:36 am
edgarblythe wrote:
I have been offered menudo many times and have yet to taste it. I'm sorry, but that's not how I want to tickle my tongue.

Edgar, don't ever try menudo.

I sampled a spoonful once. After putting it in my mouth I thought "OH MY GOD I HAVE A SHEEPS EYE IN MY MOUTH" and had to spit it out.

Ususally to be polite, I can sample anything...take my word for it, never try menudo.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 09:56 am
dlowan,

There is one thing that I would like for you and everyone else to understand. I do know why you are upset. Of course I know.

I was highly ticked off at Setanta when he accused me of recruting people for my organization and in trying to innundate A2K with other Christians. I surely will admit that. You see, I have this thing about the truth. I don't mind standing up to it. I relish standing up to it.

I had to sit down last night and ask myself why is it so important that they know that I am not lying to them? For that matter, why have I always been so concerned about anyone believing me when I tell them something is true?

Well, it took me quite awhile to figure it out but I did. So, if nothing else, I learned something about myself. When my father first started molesting me I told my mother he was coming into my room at night. She confronted him. He told her I must be dreaming. She accepted it. Then before she got remarried I caught my stepfather and sister in bed together. I told my mother. He told her something, I don't remember what. The point is, she believed him and my sister. So, perhaps it does spark something in me when I am telling someone the truth and they don't accept it. That is why I never am afraid to offer whatever backup I have for what I say or do.

I will admit there are a couple of posters on here that I may think behave in a pretty evil manner because of what they post. I will not deny that.

I was in conflict about quite a few others because the more I got to know them through A2K the more complete the picture was of who they appear to really be. I do have strong faith in God but it doesn't mean I don't have questions about things. I would bring up the questions so I could get the answers.

I am very sorry that anyone got hurt by this in any way. I can only tell you that I did not come to A2K with an agenda other than to find out why people were mocking God the way they were. I think that is pretty evident throughout all my posts. I have been consistent with what I believe and have even come to accept a different way to look at an issue or two.

Again, I am so sorry that anyone was hurt or offended by what I did. I cannot tell you that I am sorry I did it at all because I am not. I'm telling you the truth about the situation. If you do not accept that, I can certainly understand why. If you do accept it, then I am grateful, but I will not admit to doing something I did not do.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:28 am
The Righteous Christians posting on this thread seem to believe that truth is mutable and that good intentions outweigh sordid facts.

The mind boggles.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:29 am
Setanta wrote:
That wouldn't prove that you've learned anything more than the ability to puke up what you instructors expect to see on exam papers--but if you get a nut from that kind of thing, knock yerself out.

I'm sure you'd rather I just puke up whatever knowledge you spew out on this forum, being that you are superior to all.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:32 am
Well, this Christian, rightwing or not, does not think the truth is mutable. I do not think that the intentions outweigh anything. I will not admit to an intent that was not there. I explained why I did it. If it's not good enough for you, well, it's not good enough for you.

Well Noddy, no need to be mindboggled. I laid it all out there. Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:44 am
I repeat. The mind boggles.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:45 am
I think we should show some Christian charity and forgive..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:47 am
Momma Angel wrote:
dlowan,

There is one thing that I would like for you and everyone else to understand. I do know why you are upset. Of course I know.

I was highly ticked off at Setanta when he accused me of recruting people for my organization and in trying to innundate A2K with other Christians. I surely will admit that. You see, I have this thing about the truth. I don't mind standing up to it. I relish standing up to it.

I had to sit down last night and ask myself why is it so important that they know that I am not lying to them? For that matter, why have I always been so concerned about anyone believing me when I tell them something is true?

Your self-reflection is admirable. And as always it's terrible to hear such sad stories (and one always does, again and again, horrifyingly).

However, the angry reaction here wasn't as much, or not only, about your putative recruitment of others. I'm guessing its more about your representation of your motivations, in general.

Here, you charmingly posture about how you wouldn't dream of trying to convert anyone or even to make them accept your opinions, for that matter; no, you're merely here for self-edification, for self-improvement, to learn and to ask and listen about other people's takes on things!

Meanwhile, it turns out that on another site you're telling people they all need to join because A2K is a locus of spiritual war, and they need to come harness the Christian fight, form a mighty army for the Lord here on A2K.

Meanwhile, it turns out that you send messages around when a fellow Christian on A2K is in some argument with someone who said there are many contradictions in the Bible, exhorting people to "say a prayer for" the poster who's showing she "is ready to do battle for the Lord" by arguing with that guy/gal. (here's a link on that one).

On the board, your talk is of how sensitive you are, how you just want to have a careful, empathetic conversation, how you just want to understand. But when you address your Christian forum or send your missives around, Your talk is full of war, ammunition, armor, battle.

Its like two completely different personas!

Thats what feeds the feeling that you're being all but honest and upfront about things - perhaps not even to yourself? I'd wager it would probably even have been more stomachable if you'd just been upfront about your battle/war persona from the start, like RexRed is, instead of always again trying to garner sympathy for your victimised plight when you yourself are, behind the scenes, being all about war and battle yourself.

Then there's the other dimension to the negative reaction you're getting, the one Osso pointed out above.

This is a knowledge site. Though maddeningly stubborn and sometimes narrow-minded some posters may be, all but the fringe loonies at least accept that the playing field on the more serious-minded forums remains about trying rational argument.

When you were challenged about your views and apparently didnt feel able to adequately argue them, however, you went to recruit homies to join the fight instead - and in that language, too (not as in: 'hey, help me out explain this for me', but as in, 'join the army of believers and change this site'). Thats in a different category altogether than occasionally patting a fellow-poster on the back.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:47 am
I've gave something for a Christian charity today. Forgiving is thus only on next week's schedule. :wink:
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:48 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
John Creasy wrote:
You are an insecure, hateful little man.

You must be a colossus among giants, John Creasy, I suppose.

To tell you a secret: Set is actually a very big trou du cul from the Canadian backest backwoods. But his dogs are nice and his compagne is intelligent and ...

Like little big man? What Canadian backwoods. Is Setanta a Canadian now?? Has he been lying about being an American?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:49 am
Chai Tea
Chai Tea wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
I have been offered menudo many times and have yet to taste it. I'm sorry, but that's not how I want to tickle my tongue.

Edgar, don't ever try menudo.
I sampled a spoonful once. After putting it in my mouth I thought "OH MY GOD I HAVE A SHEEPS EYE IN MY MOUTH" and had to spit it out.
Ususally to be polite, I can sample anything...take my word for it, never try menudo.

Chai Tea, I've lived in New Mexico for 2-1/2 years, but only tried Menudo last fall. I don't like hominy but there was so much sauce on the tender hominy that I could eat it. Probably won't make it a habit though, which is too bad because I find that so-called "peasant food" from around the world is often delicious.

BBB
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:53 am
Intrepid wrote:
Like little big man? What Canadian backwoods. Is Setanta a Canadian now?? Has he been lying about being an American?

Detailed answers (more than 24 pages including a Chinese horoscope) afte I get a cheque (paypal is fine as well).
On hand-made paper and framed for extra charge.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:54 am
Nimh,

I completely understand your position and yes, I can sure see how you would see it like that. Not a problem with that at all.

Well, Nimh, I ask for prayers for people all the time. It doesn't mean anything bad about anyone. Prayers are part of my belief system and I believe they are effective. So?

Hey, I don't need anyone feeling sorry for me for anything. So what, I had problems growing up. Who hasn't? I use my experiences to explain things.

It is obvious that no matter how many times I try to explain what and why I did what I did, there will be those that believe that from day one I had an agenda. Well, I can't do a thing about that, Nimh. I am sorry they feel that way because it's not true, but I think we have all spent enough time on this issue.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:54 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I think we should show some Christian charity and forgive..

It seems that forgiveness is something that does not come easy to some. Non-Christian and Christian alike. That is a great fault of mankind.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:57 am
How dare you pray for someone??? You must be trying to convert them!!! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:58 am
Oooops! Embarrassed Dang! I need to watch that! Laughing
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 12:06 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Well, Nimh, I ask for prayers for people all the time. It doesn't mean anything bad about anyone. Prayers are part of my belief system and I believe they are effective. So?

John Creasy wrote:
How dare you pray for someone??? You must be trying to convert them!!! Twisted Evil

Arrgh.

Are you two being deliberately obtuse?

Obviously - I would have thought - the problem wasnt in someone praying for someone else. It was in thinking that the appropriate response to a rational argument about whether there are or aren't inconsistencies in the Bible is rallying support to one of the two debaters and framing it as the support she needs in "doing battle for the Lord".

Btw MA, you seem to have an unerring knack for going through the motions of saying "I understand what you are saying" and then totally ignore the thrist of what it was, instead focusing on some sideline ("yes, I pray") that allows you to cast yourself as a kind of victim who's being unreasonably held to account for the most normal thing. Again, the combination smacks of hypocrisy.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 12:23:55