Pom Poko - Bizzaro

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:42 pm
I'm a huge fan of Hayao Miyazaki's filmography (WIKI). He tends to add Japanese folklore into most of his works and there's a beautiful element of innocence, usually. Some films of his best films include Totoro (My Neighbor Tortoro), Nausica, and Spirited Away. A studio is called Studio Ghibli has produced most, if not all of his animations.

Anyway, my sister also loves his stuff and bought what looked to be a darling little movie about racoons (or Japan's equivilant) fighting man's invasion into their wilderness. It is that, this movie, Pom Poko, but it is so much more. The racoons can shape-change and then haunt mankind to scare us people out of the wilderness. One shape-changing feet is the stretching of the 'harpoon bag' (I think that's what the animal called it) - the scrotum. All male racoons have balls in plain view.

It's an odd little movie. I'm not sure who would be the ideal candidate to watch this gem. But, I loved it.

Some scrotum action:

http://www.thegline.com/dvd-of-the-week/images/2005/pompoko-058.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,824 • Replies: 14
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm
oops, looks like Miyazaki didn't direct this one, a collegue of his did: Isao Takahata.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:09 am
it's an odd one for sure, but good fun
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 01:59 pm
seen it?

I like the more bizzar versions of these psuedo kid movies. Princess Mononoke is a good one too.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 02:26 pm
I can't wait to see this one! I've seen all of Miyazaki's movies that I could get my hands on, and some of the ones that aren't directed by him but are made by Studio Ghibli. They're all so good I can't even pick a favorite. We just watched Porco Rosso again recently, I love that one. Definitely less of a kiddish one.

Howl's Moving Castle was a lot of fun too, but different since it was based on an English story so it didn't have the Japanese folklore element.

Grave of the Fireflies is incredibly touching, anyone seen that one?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:39 pm
littlek wrote:
seen it?

I like the more bizzar versions of these psuedo kid movies. Princess Mononoke is a good one too.

yup, loved p mononoke as well

there's a beautiful short film called "voices from a distant star", in some ways a typical giant robot anime, but actually a very sad love story, and beautifully animated, i can't remember the director right now, but i was reading were a full length movie was just released, the dvd includes the new movue and the above mebtioned short film, worth checking out

also loved
my neighbour totoro (sp)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:42 pm
i'm sorry it's called voices of a distant star

here's a link, including a trailer

voices of a distant star
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 05:02 pm
Re: Pom Poko - Bizzaro
littlek wrote:

http://www.thegline.com/dvd-of-the-week/images/2005/pompoko-058.jpg

If only scrotums could do that. Imagine the possibilities! Your own personal blanket whenever you wanted! I giant fan for cooling off in the heat! A portable projection screen for all your home movies! A way to say, "Oh yeah, my balls are THIS big!

Sure, it might not be socially acceptable, but anyone who complains could get a huge mass of sack in their face -- it's the perfect punishment! Ah...the fun that could be had. Twisted Evil

But I'm sure you don't want to pursue that line of conversation. I've only seen Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, and Howl's Moving Castle -- they're some of the best animations I've ever come across in both their capacity to keep you enthralled for the entire duration of the movie and to throw predictability out the window (unlike most of Hollywood today). I'm looking forward to watching the rest of his movies some day, and to watch the ones I love all over again. Pom Poko, on the other hand, is one I'll see just for the scrotum scene.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 05:23 pm
i want to see howl's moving castle, the trailers i've seen look very good
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 05:45 pm
I really like Spirited Away, but I too have a hard time picking a favorite. Haven't seen Howl's Moving Catsle yet. I didn't realize it was based on an english story.

Thanks for the leads on other movies of the genre.

Individual, there are lots of ball-stretching scenes in the film. I don't want to spoil it for you by telling you about them.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 05:57 pm
Can't wait. Smile
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:46 pm
I really liked Spirited Away too ... so cute, and funny too...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:48 pm
nimh have you seen other movies by miyazaki?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:07 pm
nope
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
You should, if you liked spirited away.
0 Replies