Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:16 pm
These amuse me - seem like they would be useful in various circumstances. They do seem best for just one person, to me, but I still think the fellow has a nifty thing going.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

Any one else interested in small houses?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,071 • Replies: 30
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:21 pm
Heh, this ain't what I thought it was! lol

I was poking around on the Web a few wweeks ago and ran into "Wee Houses". Same sort fo idea to start with but these to stack and butt up against each other to build a larger place. Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:23 pm
That one just might be too small. Two bedrooms, bath, kitchen, living area, and a really huge garage might be about right. It does seem like all they want to build these days is 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, ect. etc.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:24 pm
I think those little places are great.

I live in an are that is being over run with "starter castles". Starter castles are bigger than McMansions and are usually set upon a hill with at least 5 acres of land. The owner basically has a fiefdom.

I'm a big fan of beautifully designed small homes (under 2000 sq ft). I think with an energy crisis in our future, it will be the way things must go. Better a small perfect gem than a big honkin' rock.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:27 pm
I romanticize the minimalist life. When I retire, that's the kind of house I'd like to live in. Just as much as you need, no more, no less.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:27 pm
I love these, they're like gourmet trailers.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
The 16 x 16 Cross Gable is a standard a few blocks over from here. Lots of them were built just after the second world war.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
Light on the land too, from my pov.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:54 pm
Awsome, you can take a crap in your kitchen. Cool

I've always wanted to do that....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:00 pm
the first thing that crossed my mind when i saw wee houses

http://www.angier-fox.com/images/outhouses/small-4058.jpg
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
CrazyDiamond wrote:
Awsome, you can take a crap in your kitchen. Cool

I've always wanted to do that....

so what's stopping you
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
I think they're pretty cool. Small, comfy, and easy on the environment!

Anon
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:38 pm
My teenage daughter and I live in a 35-year old mobile. About 700 sq. ft., larger than these, but there are two of us!

200 cu.ft. of storage wouldn't hold my books.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:44 pm
Oh, Osso. I LOVE tiny houses! I've always wanted to buy one of those miniature cottage-style gas stations from the 1920-30s that were so popular around here, move it into my backyard, and make a writer's study out of it.

Here's one not too far from me.

http://www.theroadwanderer.net/66Oklahoma/images/OKChandlerPhillips66.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 09:46 pm
We have old colonial estates around here which often have refinished carriage houses and servants out buildings. I love them. They are usually on a large estate with old mature gardens and rolling green fields.... aahhhh....
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 04:35 am
some years ago i had 5 acres in the Sange de Cristo mtns and I designed a cabin using 4 x 8 sandwich panels of plywood, rv appliances, solar electric. water catchment system and propane. Totally self-contained. the entire cabin was partitions built in my garage and trucked into the site-erected in one week-end with 2 pickup loads.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:36 am
Re: Wee houses
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, I have to be, osso. I live in one!
Tiny little Victorian terrace with tiny little rooms. (Were the Victorians midgets? Confused )
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:44 am
Re: Wee houses
msolga wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Oh, I have to be, osso. I live in one!
Tiny little Victorian terrace with tiny little rooms. (Were the Victorians midgets? Confused )

Australian Victorians WERE a lot smaller than British one's, as they descended from tiny little people that slid in through windows and took all the silver.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:48 am
Laughing ..... AND all that time on the high seas on those convict ships! ... malnuriished, suffering from scurvy & sea sickness! Who'd grow big after that?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 06:54 am
I'd not heard of those gas station "houses", Eva... very charming.

Wish you had photos of that, Dys...

I bet your house is nifty, MsOlga.

I've often been more attracted to gate houses, etc. than manor houses themselves...

The house my ex and I had in Venice was something like 825 square feet, not exactly tiny, but tiny by standard new house sizes now. We did have a garage, handy for a lot of storage.
0 Replies