General info question re: Labor law & Independen Contractors

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 12:54 pm
Hey all, I'm planning on doing a Westlaw search about this, but considering how detailed the results are, I thought I'd ask here first.

Does anyone have any website links that talk a bit about Independent Contractors who are hired on a long term basis (instead of hiring regular permanent workers)?

I don't need super detailed information. Just general info on the topic (this is regarding New York, by the way).

Thanks for any help! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 632 • Replies: 4
No top replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 12:58 pm
Like what regarding subcontracting?

Hours? breaks? Workmans Comp coverage?

You might start HERE.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 03:19 pm
Thanks squinney. Something along those lines. More specifically, issues of when hiring subcontractors is done to avoid having to hire permanent employees and when it might run afoul of the law.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:05 pm
No link, but for starters, if you tell them what you want done and get out of the way, they are probably independent contractors. If you tell them when to start work, when to stop, and how to achieve your objective, they could well be classed as employees.

You might narrow your search down by specifing federal wage and salary issues.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 07:08 pm
Statuatory employees might also be a good starting point, now that I think on it.
0 Replies