War in itself

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:04 am
flushd wrote:
CrazyDiamond wrote:
flushd wrote:

War is irrational.

War is NOT irrational. Would you not fight for what you believe in?!? If you were enslaved, would you not rise against your oppressors?!? War is completely rational and is sometimes even neccessary. It is very tragic and unpleasant, but it is certainly not irrational.

Spoken like true cannon fodder.

Sad

In other words, you have no argument, just name calling. Typical.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:05 am
InfraBlue wrote:
I think Gandhi's strategy could have worked for the Ashkenazim of Germany had they organized in time to counter the growing power and influence of the Nazis there. The German people weren't all hate filled Nazis even by the time they took control of the German government. One thing they would have lacked, however, was a singular charasmatic leader like Gandhi himself, but, they still could have organized and succeeded, in my opinion.

There is no moral obligation to practice non-violent resistance to oppressors, particularly murderous ones.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:34 am
Crazy,

I certainly did not intend to insult you. In fact, I thought you were 'playing' . Sorry if you found my words dismissive or otherwise negatively directed at you.

Here is the post I was responding to:

CrazyDiamond wrote:
flushd wrote:

War is irrational.

War is NOT irrational. Would you not fight for what you believe in?!? If you were enslaved, would you not rise against your oppressors?!? War is completely rational and is sometimes even neccessary. It is very tragic and unpleasant, but it is certainly not irrational.

War is completely rational?
I disagree.
It is not always rational. It often started much in the way the exchange between the two of us is going. Sometimes it is of a different beast: pure ridiculousness, hate, greed, whathaveyou. Or ignorance.
It is not always a fight for virtue or good.

I don't know everything. This is just my view. I have not fought in a war, lived through a war that seriously affected my life, nor had to deal with these issues seriously.

CrazyDiamond wrote:
How dare you!! I'm no cannon fodder!! Didn't you read my post? I said that war is tragic and unpleasant! It's a terrible thing! All I said was that war is a completely rational ideal. I could be in the Peace Corps and still say that. It is indeed rational and I am no war-monger or cannon fodder or anything of that sort. In fact, I am tempted to be insulted at your implication of such a thing. Give me one good arguement as to why war is, in all situations, irrational and I will grant your statement some merit.

For example: Back in the old days (like caveman days...) we hunted. It killed many animals and I'm sure it caused them much pain. Does that mean it was irrational? It provided us with food and helped balance our diet as well. Without killing many animals per day we would not survive. It is not irrational. It is neccessary and war is also somtimes neccessary to survive.

Another example: In the Korean War, if we hadn't gone to war and helped out South Korea, the people of South Korea would be starving and dying, just like most North Koreans are now. It killed many Americans, true, but saved a much much higher number of Koreans. Do you believe that lives cannot be saved through war? Are you saying that our actions waere irrational in going to war to save innocent lives? We should've just let the whole country be overrun? Then Kim Jong Il would have even more reasources and, doubtless, even more nukes than he has already. We had the power to help the innocent South Koreans, who couldn't help themselves, so we did. Was this irrational?

Okay, got the anger worked out, now this all I want to say:
War is not irrational. I have provided an opinion as to why it is not, please provide an arguement, instead of simply telling me I am wrong and please don't again imply that because I hold certain philisophical views that I am a 'cannon fodder'.

Ok, well, your caveman hunting analogy is weak. Killing animals to eat is not comparable to warfare.

Your piece about South Korea. Hmm. You clearly believe that war was necessary in that case, and I do not. We disagree. However, would you be open to the possibility that other ways of going about reaching the 'goal' could have worked? That , perhaps, the actions taken were not the best?

I agree that sometimes human beings need to fight. I agree that war is not completely irrational.

My point is that war can not be understood by rational thought alone. That approach has sunk many a good man/country.
Evil exists. Irrational acts, hate, greed, warfare EXISTS.

It is impossible to change something that is not understood. Often, good people underestimate the level of irrationality, hate, and anger that drives some men.

If I were to start a mini-war with you right now, would I necessarily have to have a rational reason to do so? Would you need a rational reason to take part?
Of course not.
Maybe I'm just a meanie.

Hope you understand where I'm coming from.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:35 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Eorl wrote:
My point is that giving in to the aggressor is often a much greater evil than war. I'm saying war can be caused by the good guys doing the right thing.

I think this is a rather specious argument. It's obvious that it takes two to tango, but if there were no aggressor to begin with then there would be no need for 'good guys' to do anything.

Your reasoning would have victims of robberies being made to recompense the losses of an establishment because they failed to stop the armed assailant.

So if a neighboring country to yours says "You must pay us tribute every month or we will drop bombs on you," you would say ???

As Eorl has already pointed out, I was not understanding his statement clearly. I thought he was inferring that war was largely the fault of the assaulted countries rising up to defend themselves.

Anyway, your question is irrelevant to the point I was making as I wasn't advocating peace at any cost, but rather pointing out a perceived flaw in someone elses logic.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 08:58 am
flushd wrote:
Crazy,

I certainly did not intend to insult you. In fact, I thought you were 'playing' . Sorry if you found my words dismissive or otherwise negatively directed at you.

Here is the post I was responding to:

CrazyDiamond wrote:
flushd wrote:

War is irrational.

War is completely rational?
I disagree.
It is not always rational. It often started much in the way the exchange between the two of us is going. Sometimes it is of a different beast: pure ridiculousness, hate, greed, whathaveyou. Or ignorance.
It is not always a fight for virtue or good.

I don't know everything. This is just my view. I have not fought in a war, lived through a war that seriously affected my life, nor had to deal with these issues seriously.

CrazyDiamond wrote:
How dare you!! I'm no cannon fodder!! Didn't you read my post? I said that war is tragic and unpleasant! It's a terrible thing! All I said was that war is a completely rational ideal. I could be in the Peace Corps and still say that. It is indeed rational and I am no war-monger or cannon fodder or anything of that sort. In fact, I am tempted to be insulted at your implication of such a thing. Give me one good arguement as to why war is, in all situations, irrational and I will grant your statement some merit.

For example: Back in the old days (like caveman days...) we hunted. It killed many animals and I'm sure it caused them much pain. Does that mean it was irrational? It provided us with food and helped balance our diet as well. Without killing many animals per day we would not survive. It is not irrational. It is neccessary and war is also somtimes neccessary to survive.

Another example: In the Korean War, if we hadn't gone to war and helped out South Korea, the people of South Korea would be starving and dying, just like most North Koreans are now. It killed many Americans, true, but saved a much much higher number of Koreans. Do you believe that lives cannot be saved through war? Are you saying that our actions waere irrational in going to war to save innocent lives? We should've just let the whole country be overrun? Then Kim Jong Il would have even more reasources and, doubtless, even more nukes than he has already. We had the power to help the innocent South Koreans, who couldn't help themselves, so we did. Was this irrational?

Okay, got the anger worked out, now this all I want to say:
War is not irrational. I have provided an opinion as to why it is not, please provide an arguement, instead of simply telling me I am wrong and please don't again imply that because I hold certain philisophical views that I am a 'cannon fodder'.

Ok, well, your caveman hunting analogy is weak. Killing animals to eat is not comparable to warfare.

Your piece about South Korea. Hmm. You clearly believe that war was necessary in that case, and I do not. We disagree. However, would you be open to the possibility that other ways of going about reaching the 'goal' could have worked? That , perhaps, the actions taken were not the best?

I agree that sometimes human beings need to fight. I agree that war is not completely irrational.

My point is that war can not be understood by rational thought alone. That approach has sunk many a good man/country.
Evil exists. Irrational acts, hate, greed, warfare EXISTS.

It is impossible to change something that is not understood. Often, good people underestimate the level of irrationality, hate, and anger that drives some men.

If I were to start a mini-war with you right now, would I necessarily have to have a rational reason to do so? Would you need a rational reason to take part?
Of course not.
Maybe I'm just a meanie.

Hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Yes, I'm sorry for getting all mad. And yes, I do see where you're coming from. I was just in the heat of the moment. We both have almost the same view on the subject and I know, my analogies were very weak, both of them (it was all i could come up with.. Embarrassed ). You mistook my saying 'completely rational' for always rational, which it is not. We pretty much agree. We both misunderstood each other a little there. No hard feelings? Smile
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 03:51 pm
'Course, no hard feelings. It's all good. Smile
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 05:13 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35088&highlight=
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 02:31 pm
Brandon wrote:
There is no moral obligation to practice non-violent resistance to oppressors, particularly murderous ones.

That's correct. That being said, your statement does not negate the fact that non-violent resistance may have worked for the German Ashkenazim.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
I do not think that, strictly speaking, war is inherently irrational (as Flushd asserts). Strictly speaking rationality has to do with ends and means; any means that achieves an end is "rational". But that does not, of course (and here I agree with Flushd) mean that a rational act is a "good" one. War is cruel and unwise, but it is usually conducted to serve the interests of someone or some group within a society. I do not think it serves the interests of those who must fight and die. From the perspective of soldiers, then, war is clearly "irrational," even if they are conditioned not to realize it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I do not think that, strictly speaking, war is inherently irrational (as Flushd asserts). Strictly speaking rationality has to do with ends and means; any means that achieves an end is "rational".

A game of chess may be won by sacrificing every piece on the board at the outset and just playing with a pawn. This doesn't make such play logical or rational. The method of arriving at an end is what is being defined here, not the end itself.

Quote:
But that does not, of course (and here I agree with Flushd) mean that a rational act is a "good" one. War is cruel and unwise, but it is usually conducted to serve the interests of someone or some group within a society. I do not think it serves the interests of those who must fight and die. From the perspective of soldiers, then, war is clearly "irrational," even if they are conditioned not to realize it.

Agreeable sentiments.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 06:32 pm
I understand what you are saying, JLNobody and Questioner.
Perhaps it is my wording than is making my message thin.

http://www.answers.com/rational&r=67

The adjective rational has 4 meanings:

Meaning #1: consistent with or based on or using reason
Antonym: irrational (meaning #1)

Meaning #2: of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind
Synonyms: intellectual, noetic

Meaning #3: (math) capable of being expressed as a quotient of integers
Antonym: irrational (meaning #2)
Pertains to noun: ratio (meaning #1)

Meaning #4: having its source in or being guided by the intellect (distinguished from experience or emotion)

I found a lot of meanings for the word 'rational'. This is one source.

Here's the thrust of what I was inquiring into in my own mind:
Is war in itself ever sane? Is it ever rational (in all its meanings)?

Sure, it may be well plotted out and intelligent in a strict sense, but is it possible for a war to be started without a guiding energy of emotion?

Is war cohesively rational? Is it a necessary part of human experience? Does it serve a function which OneUps the 'unpleasantness' of death and horror?

I don't know, but I'd love to hear others thoughts on this.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 18 Jan, 2006 06:57 pm
flushd,

I think the answer is probably that sometimes it is rational, sometimes it isn't ......and the answer will depend on who you ask anyway.

Who can argue that Hitler's plan was not rational (at least to him)? The decision to oppose Hitler was also pretty rational.

There would have been plenty of examples in history of war being the only path to survival (eg in times of drought or famine)

In Darwinian terms, it certainly makes sense that societies better equipped to wage war are more likely to survive than those who are not.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 05:59 pm
I remember a book by Philip Wylie, The Generation of Vipers (I think that was the one), in which he coined the term, "momism." With this notion he explained why some young men went to war. It wasn't he argued because they hated the enemy or even because they were patriotic and felt committed to follow their leader, right or wrong; it was, as I recall, because they did not want their mothers to be ashamed of them for cowardice. Here, I suspect, mothers symbolized all of the individual's "significant others," all those by means of which he identifies and evaluates himself, his "reference group."
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 11:27 am
The shame of cowardice as a prime motivator; I would have thought the big one would be the easily channeled competitive & aggressive nature of many youthful males combined with persuasive group dynamics.

Within the envelope of group dynamics shame of cowardice could play a part.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 03:34 pm
Chumly, good points. I don't like applying the "anthropological" model of beastly man, "man the aggressor," to explain violence by societies today. My intuition is that wars are generally "calculated" events, serving to meet the needs of some leader or interest group. The soliders themselves have to be motivated to fight, often against their own instinct for self-preservation. Here is where social shame becomes a manipulative tool, a tool to get those who have lilttle or no stake in the war to do the actual fighting. The fighters are not the actual decision makers--that was so in ancient times when kings and lords actually fought. War is not a biological event, a conflict driven by aggressive instincts; its usually more of a calculated economic event. Not always but usually. And where "instincts" are involved it is in the "group dynamics" you refer to, but these "instincts" are maniupated by the more dispassionate leadership.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 03:50 pm
JLNobody wrote:
The soliders themselves have to be motivated to fight, often against their own instinct for self-preservation.
Opportunities for adventure and income don't hurt either. Also once soldiers are at war, it can be self-preservation itself that makes them fight. Plus once a soldier is war-habitualized, some theories of motivation may not be applicable as then it may become: "it's my job, it's what I know".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:14 pm
Chumly, you are talking (accurately) about one subset of soldierdom, and I am talking (I belive accurately) about another subset. My subset includes a lot of men I've talked to about their positions in the Nam conflict when I directed a USO club in that era. I'm also talking about the men who went to Canada rather than die for a cause that meant nothing to them.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:31 pm
You make great points and I have no first hand experience in war.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 04:35 pm
Nor do I, thank Reality.
0 Replies