War in itself

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:37 pm
What is war? What is the motivatian that leads men to kill complete strangers? What are the origins of mass killings for a belief? Discuss
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,942 • Replies: 58
No top replies

spendius

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:45 pm
How about Darwin's Origin of Species?
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:47 pm
Well, I believe man evolved from ape, like Darwin. So are you saying warfare and brutality was with man from the beginning?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:52 pm
What is war?
War is the last resort of the incompetent or if you like the physical result of failed diplomacy.

What is the motivation that leads men to kill complete strangers?
Often the motivation is military training, at least with respect to the modern militarized warfare.

What are the origins of mass killings for a belief?
The origins of mass killings for a belief go back the full length of modern man's past and likely his closest extinct predecessors.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:54 pm
men don't kill other men in war, men kill objects in war.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 06:58 pm
Anyone a veteran? It's obvious that we don't know what the orgins of using pain to make people to do thing are, but what do you think they are?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:01 pm
dys wrote-

Quote:
men don't kill other men in war, men kill objects in war.

and dangerous objects to boot who are not only on our land but screwing our women.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:03 pm
If men don't kill men, they kill objects. Then objects must be killing objects. How are men changed from men to objects and numbers?

Anyone seen Thin Red Line?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:04 pm
"we" are men, "they" are objects.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:07 pm
Not focusing on the current war. From an all-encompassing point of view, objects are killing objects.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:09 pm
Nah.dys has it right.

We are men.As long as we stick together I mean.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:16 pm
Got to go
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:26 pm
Re: War in itself
young_thinker wrote:
What is war? What is the motivatian that leads men to kill complete strangers? What are the origins of mass killings for a belief? Discuss

It is an extention of our teritorial animal instincts. That and the 'us and them' group mentality exibited by humans.
Both are useful from an evolutionary and logical perspective.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:26 pm
Jeez, first men get bitched at for objectifying woman, now friends are called out as objectifying foes, can't we all just try and get along?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:32 pm
Doktor S wrote:
young_thinker wrote:

It is an extention of our teritorial animal instincts. That and the 'us and them' group mentality exibited by humans.

I'm thinking war is a by-product of agriculture/animal husbandry, captalism=amassing of private property. They have-we want.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:35 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
young_thinker wrote:

I'm thinking war is a by-product of agriculture/animal husbandry, captalism=amassing of private property. They have-we want.

Jealousy...Greed?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 07:41 pm
Doktor S wrote:
I am not convinced that objectification and the herd mentality are consummate evolutionary benefits. In the context of modern warfare and nuclear weaponry please explain how these traits can be perceived as evolutionarily beneficial.

In fact I would argue it's time to reinvent ourselves, as natural selection is not going to do it for us in the time allotted. Whether we do this through sociological reengineering, or generic engineering, or some other hands on means remains to be seen.

In the alternative, if can spread mankind father away than just this one planet, then environmental conditions will have changed to lessen the impact of these destructive traits en mass.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:14 pm
young_thinker wrote:

I think war means that essentially one is not into compromise. And people who don't believe in compromise but a fight, will go for becoming a soldier. These are the people who don't believe in peace by negotiation or compromise or they would not opt for the military. These people logically would make for the least ideal of all companions or friends for others different from their kind of mentality. And the origins of mass killings for a belief can lie in self preservation, maintaining power, dictator mentality, etc., not anything to do with evolution though, just saving yourself in front of what one perceives as a threat which may not be actually there.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 08:59 pm
young_thinker wrote:

Easy. Very simply, motivation for war comes from many negative emotions: hate, greed, jealousy, anger, ambition, vanity, etc., etc. These are the emotions that motivate us to kill, and in turn may or may not motivate us to kill and/or start a war, which is simply to kill in large amounts in a successive campaign for a goal.

Now as to what motivates us to those emotions, I believe that is very simple also. If someone was to kill someone you love, would you not want to kill him back? And if not, at least you would feel anger, hate, anguish, and other emotions, all of which could and most likely would motivate you to kill him or at least consider it. It can come from a hunger for power, money, supremecy, and fame also, not just anger and hate. There are indeed many ways and situations that might motivate someone, but the bottom line is that the motivation to kill a fellow man spawns from these negative emotions.
I don't know if that answered your question, but it answered the main one.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
i believe phil ochs said it best

"It's always the old to lead us to the war
It's always the young to fall
Now look at all we've won with the saber and the gun
Tell me is it worth it all"
0 Replies