The Purpose of Life is Death

Greyfan

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:21 pm
Here's what works for me:

I believe there is no point in the sense that there is no overall plan or planner, or purpose. No goal line, no way to score a winning touchdown; no God, no heaven, no eternal reward.

But try to imagine doing anything -or any combination of things- for ETERNITY. However happy you may be when it begins, sooner or later, maybe after just the first billion years, it would end up being hell.

Death is not the purpose of life, but it is the certainty of death that gives life value. Good friends, family, food, learning, even sleeping the afternoon away, are only precious because they won't last forever. If you couldn't die, couldn't lose a loved one, always enjoyed wonderful meals, dwelled in warm houses, and never had to worry about money or sickness or war or crime.....THEN life would have no meaning.

The tragedy in life is not that we will die, or that our loved ones will die, or that those of us who think they are chosen by God will never get the chance to gloat; but rather that so many millions, living in poverty and ignorance, under oppression, war, or superstition, will never have the chance to experience the joys that we so often take for granted.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 06:48 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Life is replication.

Bingo. The prime purpose of any organism is to reproduce; everything else is ancillary. Without reproduction, the show never would have hit the road. Any organism is at root a life support system for a reproductive strategy ... no matter how you dress it up. Put all the lipstick on a pig you wish, when you're done, you've still got a pig.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:50 am
flushd wrote:
Bella,
I don't think there is an answer for your q.

No point to life.

Why want a point?

Control.

I am a control freak. I can admit it. Razz
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:51 am
Greyfan wrote:

Death is not the purpose of life, but it is the certainty of death that gives life value. Good friends, family, food, learning, even sleeping the afternoon away, are only precious because they won't last forever. If you couldn't die, couldn't lose a loved one, always enjoyed wonderful meals, dwelled in warm houses, and never had to worry about money or sickness or war or crime.....THEN life would have no meaning.

I really like this interpretation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 07:51 am
timberlandko wrote:
Put all the lipstick on a pig you wish, when you're done, you've still got a pig.

Yeah, but it looks damn sexy.

:wink:
0 Replies