The Purpose of Life is Death

Doktor S

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 02:10 am
A purpose implys a mind to impose one. So I would say life has no purpose, it just is.

Life is replication.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:02 am
Love is the Plan, the Plan is Death by Alice Sheldon
In this short story all your questions will be answered, species survival insured by imprinted drives and personal uniqueness even within biological imperatives.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870541609/ref=nosim/103-4888197-0831837?n=283155
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 03:25 am
Sturgis wrote:
The purpose of living is to become a serene creature and to learn to have patience, tolerance, understanding, goodwill towards others, to try to be the best that we can be and then pass some of my information on to someone else.

I like that, Sturgis. Especially without the incentive of a "reward" for goodness after death.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:41 am
Life may not have an innate purpose, but life has meaning. Meaning in the sense that life is the only thing that meaning can ever arise in. If we are not alive, we would not experience anything; it is unimaginable; we are our life. That's one way to think about it. :wink:
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:46 am
I'm with doc and setanta.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:56 am
Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

MACBETH.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:24 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bella Dea - It is not the destination, but the journey, that makes life worthwhile!

What's the point of the journey though?

well, i've read a few good books, and seen some good films/theatre, heard some great music, seen some nice sunsets/sunrises

had some fairly decent sex

not a bad life

had some good meals too

oh one more thing, met some pretty great people
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 11:29 am
and the title is all wrong, death is a byproduct of life, the purpose of life is living, unfortunatley the day to day stuff crap usually gets in the way

john lennon said it best

life is what happens to you
while you're busy making other plans
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
My brush with impending death allowed me to reprioritize my life, to, as they say, "stop and smell the flowers".

Do they smell nice?

:wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:33 am
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

The meaning of life is to find our individual happiness.

For what? Why?

You can give me all the reasons for life you want but if you can't explain them, they are all useless.

If we are just going to die and go to a better place, why are we here to begin with?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 09:34 am
djjd62 wrote:
and the title is all wrong, death is a byproduct of life, the purpose of life is living, unfortunatley the day to day stuff crap usually gets in the way

But we are only alive to die. That's the only thing we HAVE to do in this life.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
For what it's worth: God did not create us for that purpose.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:28 am
Quote:
But we are only alive to die. That's the only thing we HAVE to do in this life.

Bella Dea - How quickly we forget. What about paying taxes! Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:29 am
neologist wrote:
For what it's worth: God did not create us for that purpose.

What did he create us for then?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 10:46 am
OK, I'll stick my neck out:

In Genesis 1:28, God told Adam and Eve to "Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth."

If they had not sinned they would still be here and we would not have war or crime or sickness or death.

Sounds OK to me.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:18 am
Nor would we have "legless serpents" ! Drunk
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 11:32 am
Questioner wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Bella Dea - It is not the destination, but the journey, that makes life worthwhile!

You've obviously never driven from Lubbock TX. to Brownsville TX.

AMEN to THAT!

Bella, just started reading this thread, I know what you mean.

Most of the time though I get so wrapped up in what I'm doing, I'm not thinking about it. Pretty much I'm happy with my life, so that I suppose really helps.

Sometimes when you're lying in bed at night, and it hits you how you're not exempt.

My first reaction is always "there's got to be SOME loophole"
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 12:39 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Jason Proudmoore wrote:

The meaning of life is to find our individual happiness.

For what? Why?

You can give me all the reasons for life you want but if you can't explain them, they are all useless.

If we are just going to die and go to a better place, why are we here to begin with?

I'm sorry for just answering this question with just one sentence. I'm glad you're interested.

I'll elaborate more. What is the meaning of life? The meaning of life is what is most important to us, the most important thing to us. What is the most important thing to us? It's simple. The most important entity in our lives is happiness. Why do I say "happiness"? I say "happiness" because that's what every body looks for. We do anything to find that happiness. [Even] you'd do everything ( I say anything ) to find that happiness. For example, I like to watch entertaining shows on Tv because when I'm entertained, I'm happy; some individuals are obsessed with working tons of hours at their work because that makes them happy; religious people adore God because that make them happy; And while a girlfriend (who doesn't love herself) who is sickly obsessed with her boyfriend, she loves him because that makes her happy; even serial killers kill people because killing arouses them pleasure, and therefore, happiness.

But not everybody is happy. Why do lots of unhappy people still want to live? Simple. They want to continue living because they still have hope that one day, that one day, they'll find THAT happiness, no matter what situation they're in (if they lost their most important job, became homeless, their spouses died, etc).

Why do some people commit suicide? Some people commit suicide because they have no hope in finding such happiness. They have no meaning to their lives. They consider death as a last source of peace from their world of anguish that leads to their unhappiness.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:42 pm
fresco wrote:
Nor would we have "legless serpents" ! Drunk
Sorry about that, fres; if had been up to me you would still have them. Smile
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2006 04:52 pm
Bella,
I don't think there is an answer for your q.

No point to life.

Why want a point?

Sometimes I know this. I frickin' am ON like a dynamo.
Most of the time, I pretend to myself that what I am doing is permenant or will have a permenant effect. I pretend that things are the way I think I want them to be.

It isn't. It's F-ed up. It's mind blowin'. It makes me want a joint.

It's kinda cool though, when you think of it. No permenant point means any mistake is no biggie. Anything goes; but of course living a little longer is always nice.
Razz
0 Replies