Help with Netgear USB Wireless Adapter

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:01 pm
Here's the deal. I have an HP laptop with WiFi built in. I also have a desktop with a Netgear USB wireless adapter. If I sit with the laptop at the desktop location, I can see five networks, Linksys, Netgear, whatever.

When I scan for networks using the Netgear USB adapter on the desktop, I see maybe one, or none. It definitely prefers WAP's made by Netgear.

Is there a way to change the behaviour so it can see the other networks? One specifically that it cannot see is in the rental office about 100' away, which is the one I want to jump onto, since I'm paying (indirectly) for that connection.

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 685 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:15 pm
http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WG111.php
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 05:08 pm
For a 1st step - check the configuration and make sure it is set to connect to both 802.11g AND 802.11b networks. Some of those other networks in your area may only be one or the other and if you are configured to lock in on only one you'll never see the others.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 07:14 am
I'm not 100% sure how to do that. I turned off the software that came with the device and am now using Windows to manage it. Still not working the way I'd expect.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:03 am
Windows knows nothing about 802.11/a/b/g, all it knows is Wireless - you gotta use the wireless router's configuration utilities to set its parameters. I'd say consult the router's documentation, or visit the router vendor's support pages/forum to see if you can sort it out.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:12 am
It's just a wireless adapter, not a router. I don't have access or control of the routers/WAPs.

The utility that came with it seemed pretty useless. By default the driver searches for all available networks, or at least it says it does.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:13 am
Gotta a link to the online manual for the wireless adapter?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:21 am
Only that one above. Couldn't find the manual. I do have a request in to their e-mail support team.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:39 am
Dunno how much help it'll be, but here's your adapter's support page:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wg111v2.asp
0 Replies