Keywords that attract YOUR kinda people...

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 04:45 pm
Fantasy Birdwatchers Unearth Psychological Wordplay on Artistic Networks.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:38 pm
Punk Purveyors of Dada Revolutions Strike Three Goals In Unsuspecting Post-Soviet Corrupt Autocracy, Human Rights Feared Wacky as Ecstacy-Fuelled Transcaucasian Revellers Dance to Obscure Fifties Jamaican Calypso, to Lush Delight of MP3 Nerds and Conspirative Dismay of Poetic Multiculturalism Opponents in Photographically Dilapitated Cities of 20th-Century History; Random, Near-Sensuous Sequence of Diverse Events the Improbable Procreation of Exasperating Penchant for Eighties Retro References and Őrkeny-type One-Minute Stories of Infinite Improbability Drive-Powered Submissive Disassociation.

Oh, and Fart Poop Burp Sex and Angelina Jolie.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:46 pm
Hhhmmm ... seeing Cola and Phoenix suddenly in a whole new light ... Razz

sozobe wrote:
The "who are my people?" question is a hard one.

Call me crazy, but just yesterday, I was mulling this idea ... "Do The Big Nimh Test!". Kind of a spin-off from my recent disjointed rambling on the whatwasit thread and your, dlowan's and little k's responses to it (see, it's not that I forgot or anything, just cause I neglected to respond..). The idea would be to create a kind of survey, with a list of opposites. Like, "punk ... hippie", "winner ... loser", "past ... future", "gentle ... precise", "Buda ... Pest". And the user has to just tick each set off, ticking the box for one of the two words, totally instinctually, without thinking. And at the end you would get "Your Personal NIMH Score!"

Yes, I think of weird **** sometimes. Perhaps its boredom.

Course, it would involve creating a set of representative yet random-seeming opposite values like that, somehow make a program or script calculate out the values (never done that), formulate the results texts (all nice, of course, it'd be a joke not a judgement, so you would get, say, either the "soul mate" or the "opposites attract" result), make a webpage for it ...

Yeah, not gonna happen, probly. (ambition ... procrastination)

sozobe wrote:
I've been putting in stuff that I'd love to see people talking about -- like, "Oooh, you like Jhumpa Lahiri?! Do you think she's a better short-story writer or novelist?" or whatever.

I actually read a collection of short stories of hers, thought they were very beautiful / good. Been a while and the book is back in Holland, so dont know what it was called. Even gifted a copy to me dad I think.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:47 pm
Cheesecake, jellybean, boom.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:48 pm
That'd do, too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
"Interpreter of Maladies" is probably the book you are referring to -- blew me away. Love her writing, the insight and subtlety.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
"The Namesake" is her recent-ish novel, also fantastic (in a different way...)
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:47 pm
Chocolate Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm
sozobe wrote:
"Interpreter of Maladies" is probably the book you are referring to -- blew me away. Love her writing, the insight and subtlety.

Yes, that the one... I read it in '99. I remember, cause I wanted to copy one of the stories and send it to my then-friend K., a Polish-American girl. It was of exile ... the Indian wife of a professor, out on the roundabout of a campus? A rare shop where you could get products from home, the sheer meaning of that? Perhaps I've mixed up two stories, fudged up things ... just remember it struck me as a quiet story that spoke strongly.
0 Replies

CrazyDiamond

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 09:46 pm
Single and Willing

also,

Rough and Ready

Wink
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:22 pm
@sozobe,
Hadn't seen this before. Here's some suggestions if you really want to get search traffic to your threads here.

1) Use good titles with keywords. The title is pretty much all that matters in the posting for the search traffic, if it's not in the title it'll have to be very rare online for search engines to redirect someone here because they'll assume pages with relevant titles are more likely to be about that topic.

2) Use tags. For example I like poker and I like psychology and neither had good coverage here, so I've been making topics about them and joining them to other ones. Eventually some will catch on and the topic diversity will grow.

3) Use very specific keywords. Able2know isn't out there competing to sell things so we aren't going to rank for short and popular keywords like "computers" but for something more specific "Dell laptop RAM problems" it's more likely.

It makes a big difference, many of the top topics on the site (in terms of views) I made that way through simply using descriptive titles with the keywords I thought would be searched for. Some of them take off, and others don't but by making the title relevant to the subject you give yourself much better chances with little effort.
0 Replies