A Helpful Program

Stoat

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
I found a delightful little program which I thought people who enjoy reading and compiling quotations might find to be useful. It's called WizQuote, and it's only ten dollars which is quite a bargain in this age of stratospheric software prices. You can learn more about it, see screenshots of it and download a 60-day trial copy of it here:

http://www.gemx.com/wizquote.php

After having used it for about six months I can say that it's been marvellously stable on my WinXP Pro system and has numerous helpful features that someone who collects lots of quotes would likely appreciate, including the ability to index and sort your collection of quotations by user-definable subject matter, by the author or any other criteria of your choice. The interface is highly customizable and there are a variety of printing options and controls.

Rather than trying to remember "Who was it who originally coined that phrase?" you can have WizQuote remember it for you.

Rather than thinking "What might be an appropriate quotation to use in this context, or pertaining to this concept?" you can find it by using WizQuote.

And no, I have no financial interest in this company. I merely thought that it might be helpful to those who enjoy using lots of quotations.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,247 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 04:11 pm
Can it export to html or any other web ready format?
0 Replies

Stoat

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 06:44 pm
Hello Craven Smile

I believe that the best answer to your question would be "yes and no" hehe!
It doesn't have an export function per se but in addition to providing a function where it will put a quote on the clipboard, it supports drag and drop from and into OLE applications, so you may be able to say that it has a de facto export function by virtue of drag and drop. Here are the relevant descriptions of this function as taken directly from the WizQuote Help file feature listing:

"Ability to drag and drop text from and to OLE compliant applications directly on to the quotes editor.
Ability to organize your folders visually by drag and drop.
Drag selected text from the quote preview directly into an OLE compliant application.
Drag and easily move your quotes from one folder to another."

You may be able to perform limited export functions with the combination of the clipboard and the drag and drop features, but I don't see any means by which you can export the entire quotes database en masse, although you Can import CSV databases directly into the program.

This is one of the limitations that is likely due to it being a ten dollar program :wink:

Here is the entire feature list as taken from the Help file. Please let me know if you have any additional questions Smile

WizQuote features

WizQuote is an ideal tool for managing and organizing your quotations, comments and reference snippets with useful features such as:

General
Clean and easy to use user-friendly interface.
Choose between GemX Theme or Standard Windows interface.
Low system resource requirements.
Main window snapping to the desktop.
WizQuote can import CSV text quotes.
File storage and structure supported with industrial strength GemX DobermanDB™ database engine

Productivity Tools to make the difference
Generous menu keyboard shortcuts.
Ability to launch other GemX applications from WizQuote
Can start when Windows starts
Quick access to functions with a various amount of context specific right click menus.
Launch web browser from within WizQuote.
Ability to launch email directly from WizQuote
Two different screen modes, from normal to small view and vice versa.
Ability to open recently opened database files from the File menu or use the history.
Ability to print quote with a print preview option
Print can be customized with your own headers and footers
Facility to rate and attach icons to specific quotes.
Special Random Quote will show you an instant random quote taken directly from your database.

Customize WizQuote through its Settings
User defined coloring for data displays.
WizQuote can automatically show a random quote at startup.
WizQuote can start when your Windows system starts up.
The WizQuote main window can attach itself neatly to the edges of the desktop.
Ability to show or hide various parts of the window to save more screen space.
Toolbars and info panels can be hidden to save valuable desktop space.
Start can be Minimized
System tray icon only appears if you want it to.

Flexible Folders Navigator
Easy access and management of your quotes with a structured tree view window.
Choose from supplied art, different folder icons to spice up Navigator folders
Besides being able to change icons on the navigator you can also add a flag to each folder
Not restricted to default folder name text colour on Navigator. You can change to the colour you like.
Easily locate flagged folders with WizQuote's Unique 'flagged folder' function.
Define the font and color of the Navigator text.
Incremental searching for quick access to folders.
Automatic Navigator tree sorting.
You can have a practically unlimited number of folders and sub-folders in each database.

Flexible Data Listing
Data list clearly shows important information.
You can define your own custom colors for the display.
Specific columns can be hidden or shown.
Re-organize the order of the columns just by dragging them to a new position.
You can sort data on a column in ascending or descending order.
You can practically have an unlimited number of records in a folder.
Ability to search your quotes within the opened WizQuote database
Quick preview of the selected quote is shown with the ability to zoom the text bigger or smaller

Increase your efficiency with WizQuote Drag & Drop
Ability to drag and drop text from and to OLE compliant applications directly on to the quotes editor.
Ability to organize your folders visually by drag and drop.
Drag selected text from the quote preview directly into an OLE compliant application.
Drag and easily move your quotes from one folder to another.
Re-organize the order of data columns just by dragging them to a new position.
0 Replies