constitution/bill of rights get in the way of law enforcemen

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 11:20 am
Rocky Mtn News 04/16/03
Alamosa Colorado officials found out Tuesday that Old Glory stands for even more American freedoms than they thought. When John Fleming put an upside down flag in the window of his book/music shop to protest the invasion of Iraq per the Boy Scout Manual of hanging a flag upside down to signal distress, the cops, including the chief of police showed up. He was told to remove the flag or be ticketed for the crime of "contempt of flag." The ACLU stepped in to point out the said law had been struck down by the Colorado Supreme Court in 1973. Alamosa officals then explained to the police chief that Fleming's upside-down flag was protected by the first admentment. "Thats good news" Mr Fleming said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,463 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 11:31 am
I am very glad to hear about this. I don't always agree with the ACLU, but this time, IMO, they have done a good thing!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 12:20 pm
A decade or so ago, one of our local businessmen displayed the flag upside down, in protest of I don't remember what. No legal problems at all.

He's no longer in business, but that's a separate issue.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2003 12:36 pm
There are no laws about the flag just tradition. Remember when the Senate tried to move a constitutional amendment out for the states to vote. It failed miserably mostly because of all the vets who stood up to say they did not fight for the symbol, the flag, but the freedom it, the flag, represents.
0 Replies