Lost Product Key

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 02:26 pm
I have a big problem.

I've recently decided to clean install Windows 2000 to my computer, because I happen to have a Windows 2000 CD lying around and Windows ME doesn't really support my new iPod. Unfortunately, I can't find the product key. It wasn't with the Windows 2000 Professional CD and I can't find it anywhere in the house.

What I do know, however, is that my Dad bought it for 1000 Hong Kong Dollars. So it seems to me a waste not to use it.

Is there anyway for me to get the product key?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 835 • Replies: 8
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 03:17 pm
Wolf, That's bad. What I have been doing is to write the product key right on the disk for all software. You might try contacting the seller/manufacturer to see if you can replace the one you have - explaining the lost product key.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 29 Dec, 2005 09:15 pm
If Win2K had been installed on the machine and registered/activated with a valid product key, it'd prolly be easy to dig up the key; severql simple apps will do thaqt for you. However, I gather that machine has not had W2K installed, so no key would be in the .inf file or the registry. Perhaps your best bet would be to call Microsoft, with the CD infront of you, and explain you've lost the key. They'll ask you for a number that's etched into the inner portion of the CD - if that number checks out, they'll create a valid key for you. If that disk came with a new machine, be sure you know the make, model, and approximate purchase date of that machine (DON'T say anything about putting the OS on a different machine), if it was purchased as a standalone full install or upgrade, it won't matter what machine it was on originally - just say you had a major crash and have to re-install Windows 2000, have the disk :wink: you :wink: bought way-back-when (try to figure out about when - within a couple months, anyhow; they might ask you when you bought the disk) but have misplaced the product key.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 06:25 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wolf, That's bad. What I have been doing is to write the product key right on the disk for all software. You might try contacting the seller/manufacturer to see if you can replace the one you have - explaining the lost product key.

No can do. Bought it in Hong Kong and it hasn't been installed on any machine, whatsoever. Isn't there some way I can get the product key from the disc?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 08:54 am
The interesting thing about Microsoft's requirement that computer manufacturers put the Windows sticker on the outside of the computer box is that there are numerous computers in public places that have Windows key codes on them. I see them all the time at retailers that use a windows box in some form or other.

If you really need a key code, you can go buy a used computer for $100 at a used computer store that would have the key code attached to the computer. I have also bought just the license with a keycode online for $50-$75. Be careful of purchasing pirated keys though.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 09:06 am
parados wrote:
The interesting thing about Microsoft's requirement that computer manufacturers put the Windows sticker on the outside of the computer box is that there are numerous computers in public places that have Windows key codes on them. I see them all the time at retailers that use a windows box in some form or other.

If you really need a key code, you can go buy a used computer for $100 at a used computer store that would have the key code attached to the computer. I have also bought just the license with a keycode online for $50-$75. Be careful of purchasing pirated keys though.

In that case, I might as well buy a new copy of Windows 2000. 1000 HK$ translates roughly to $100.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 09:31 am
You have the disk already, don't you? You only need a valid key code.

Any valid Win2000 key code will work for a Win2000 disk. You just need to purchase the new keycode to get actual MSFT support by phone.

No one could memorize the 20 digit key code off a computer they happened to see running in a retail store or sitting on a shelf in a used computer store. I'm sure that's why Microsoft uses such long numbers.

Of course if they did happen to steal a code and use it to install Win2000 on their home computer they would live in fear of the day that the library police will come by to demand they return an overdue book.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 10:03 am
Wolf, doesn't matter where/when it was purchased, if it is a legitimate M$ product purchased through legitimate channels - M$ will create a valid key for you. Of course, If you KNOW its pirated, then it certainly isn't worth the effort of a toll-free phone call.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 04:28 pm
Okay, thanks. I'll try those channels.
0 Replies