Mundane participation for the tragically bored.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 01:00 pm
@panzade,
Quote:
Custom made Publix Italian sub. The best

Hot peppers? Cheese? Details please!!

wearing: Chocolate brown khakis, dark blue and green plaid button up shirt, black sneakers.
hearing: The Star Wars score on WQXR radio for some reason.
eating: Ate lunch an hour ago.
drinking: Just water.
doing: Allegedly working (waiting for work in theory).
looking forward to: Housewarming party at a friend's house this Saturday.
feeling: Woefully unprepared for life beyond a day to day existence. Damn you ennui!
wanting: Need a new phone as mine died last Friday morning.
panzade

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 02:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Custom made Publix Italian sub

Publix is a very fine and successful grocery chain here in the South.
Their Sub Station blows Subway away.
You get 4 choices of rolls.
The Italian is loaded with ham, capicola and salami and you choose the cheese.
Then you can add the usual, tomato, lettuce and onion and....
Jalapeno , tomato, banana , or green peppers, Spinach, black olives
I like salt, pepper and oregano with a touch of mayo and oil and vinegar.
The thing is huge and makes for two meals.
Dang...
I'm getting hungry!
ehBeth

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 03:00 pm
@panzade,
since you mentioned tomato twice ... I think I need to make a club sandwich with lots of .... tomato Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 03:15 pm
@panzade,
Me too. I may have to stop with all the burrito making and get into making subs.
No capicola at my market, much less mortadella and many others. Still, I could make do. Very inspiring.
mismi

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 03:55 pm
@panzade,
I love Publix.

They are high on customer service too. When the twinks were about 4 and my baby was really a baby I would take them all around lunch time. I would take them by the deli and they would GIVE them a chicken finger a piece. Then I would take them by the bakery when they were done with their chicken and they would GIVE them a cookie...then by the florist and they got a balloon...so they were happy while I shopped.

Made all the difference in the world.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 04:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Speaking of which
Had a sandwich with Mortadella and Swiss on toast with lettuce and garlic vinaigrette at the sandwich shop in Sarasota Fl.
Out of this world.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 05:48 pm
@panzade,
My second pizza in Italy (told you I have food memory) was a small place on Campo dei Fiori (a market piazza in Rome with Giordano Bruno statue watching over it) - very simple - thinnish dough, probably oil, Mortadella (holes in the slices, via the hot oven), good beer. Sigh.
Ragman

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2015 08:36 pm
@panzade,
Oh? In my back yard? downtown? recall the name by chance? We've got some good ones here.
panzade

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 01:28 pm
@Ragman,
St Armands Circle...3 o'clock if North is 12.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 01:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I was in Italy so long ago they didn't even have pizza then Very Happy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I had pizza in Orvieto, and in Pisa. Quattro. So different in Italy, much less topping than Australia, but I've always been a fan of the thin crispy crust. Orvieto pizza beautiful, Pisa, meh, tourist town.

But in Alsace they have tarte flambee!

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20100719-tarte-flambee-whole.jpg
hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:40 pm
But in Cyprus, on the turkish side of Nicosia...

SUCUCKLU!

http://mrpide.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/11-Sucuklu-Kasarli.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:41 pm
@hingehead,
mmmmmmmmmmmm pide!!!!!!

love my pide

(and I've got all the ingredients ready to go right now Smile )
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:45 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

But in Cyprus, on the turkish side of Nicosia...

SUCUCKLU!

http://mrpide.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/11-Sucuklu-Kasarli.jpg

When I die? If I can't be cryogenically frozen or donate my body to science, then in want to be buried in a human coffin sized sucuklu pide.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 05:48 pm
@hingehead,
the best part of that pic is that it is from Mr. Pide's website

yes that Mr. Pide - on the Danforth (see my profile) - walking distance from my house - where I go with friends and have ... amazing pide

<swoon>
hingehead

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Turk Oz in Canberra used to make a great sucucklu. But when I left Canberra they went broke Sad

No-on in Cairns even attempts it. You have made me very jealous.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2015 06:20 pm
@hingehead,
Yeah, thin crust, good and relatively little toppings. I ate a pizza at a Florence bowling alley once - tasty enough with just mushrooms (if I remember), but you couldn't tilt it or the mushrooms flew off. My favorite, that I've talked about before somewhere, involved thin crust, buffala mozzerella cheese, gorgonzola, and walnuts. My attempt to reproduce it is never as good.

I suppose I should say what I'm wearing and all that. (Shorts, light weight black tee shirt, same old faux croc shoes.)
It's too damned hot here to type...

And now I have more recipes to look up.. always a good thing.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
wearing: brown yoga pants, black/red yoga bra top thing, purple headband made out of the bottom half of an old t-shirt, red sequinned fit flops. everything liberally stained with garden dirt and zinc oxide. I'm a vision.
hearing: stock market news on the radio
eating: nothing. feeling ravenous
drinking: Just had some Brisk ice tea
doing: just finished some yard work. have to tidy the living room a bit sometime in the next couple of hours
looking forward to: going to the Ex (fair) with my best friend and her daughter. This is year 41 out of 43 that my friend and I have gone to the fair together. It is the 22nd time her daughter has been with us Very Happy Mr. Green Very Happy
feeling: super happy to have time with MAB and MES ^^^ we will eat silly things, go on rides, sing along with Alan Doyle, maybe watch the Super Dogs, buy ridiculous things

a pic MAB took of Thomas and me and a Dalek at the Ex 2 years ago

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/935892_10151538626252187_428084863_n.jpg?oh=52ec3733afb83a6d420da9318b228b37&oe=563726C9

wanting: just a tiny bit of rain tomorrow - it's part of the Ex tradition - gotta run from the rain at least once
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 04:36 pm
wearing: blue jeans, blue/aqua/white shirt, sweat socks.
hearing: the CoolDaddy deep frier
eating: nothing yet, gonna have chicken Marengo for supper
drinking: Stoli
doing: laundry
looking forward to: visiting TJ up on Casco Bay in Maine
feeling: happy to be alive and healthy. Went to a wake yesterday and also
heard from a guy I know who is battling cancer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2015 05:08 pm
Reverting to talking about the bowling alley in Florence (Firenze as I've changed to), we had used an old guide book info even back then, and I, with his concurrence, picked one star type places (each time lucky) but kept a few other places to see, via the old small american express guide book in mind. There was a place when we still had a car that I wanted to at least see, some Villa out of town, near major gardens. Turns out they weren't open yet, probably still March. After we wandered through the gaudy to the max but real hallway, we met a lady at a desk to whom we inquired. She named some ridiculous amount of money and we said, certainly seriously that we couldn't do that. I've recounted this before but forget the numbers. Anyway, if I remember, she brought it down to around $100. and we decided to immolate a credit card.

We had no intention of ordering from the kitchen.
Who knows? Maybe they figured we wouldn't. They could through something together, I'm sure.
This place was then promoted and may now still be, for the largest balcony (use ital word) in Tuscany.

So we drove down the hill and saw this bowling alley..

That place is Villa Villorese. The room we had, I think a bridal chamber, was beautiful. We had a wonderful time.
0 Replies