Open Office

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 01:32 pm
I downloaded Open Office 2 yesterday, but find that it gums up Word documents, and my computer seems to have slowed down considerably. I am waiting for the CD, so decided to uninstall the download, but I still find the Open Office icon instead of Word in my folders.

I wanted to try Open Office, because I have an old version of Word, and didn't want to spring for the most recent one, especially given that there's that really fancy new one not too far down the Microsoft road. But the interface between Open Office and Word seems uneven; documents copied from one to the other are rearranged, or type face is changed, etc.

Are these problems typical? If so, what can be done about them? Or should I just leave Open Office alone? And, in that case, how can I get rid of the Open Office icons?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 739 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:50 am
Where did you download it from?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:59 am
works great here but family complains they want word back
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 02:35 am
Cross-platform surprises are just a feature of the various different productivity suites. OpenOffice.org is fine, Star Office is fine, Corel is fine, MS Office is fine, etc etc etc - by themselves. They don't always play well together. There are tricks and workarounds for some idiosynchrocies, but there are still "features" ( Rolling Eyes :wink: ) which will bug helloutta you working from one to the other.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 02:40 am
Novell has come out with an expanded version of Office which runs both on Window and Linux platforms. It plays nicer with the other apps than the straight version of OpenOffice.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:35 am
Open Office
I downloaded it from the Open Office site/Indiana U.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:36 am
Husker - what reasons do your family give for wanting Word back?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:13 pm
Re: Open Office
Tomkitten wrote:
I downloaded it from the Open Office site/Indiana U.

Doubt it makes much difference overall, but just FYI, the actual mother source is:

OpenOffice-dot-Org
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
Yes, that's where I went. Then you have to choose OS, Language, and source for download. You don't download directly from openoffice.org, apparently.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 05:27 pm
mostly change and some of the ways like Word operates. right now we are having big email trama going on. - lol
moving from OE to Thunderbird
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 05:28 pm
we have 6 operational pc's and laptops and Dad's not buying microsoft for them all.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 05:55 pm
Hi, Husker - I think you'll like Thunderbird; it works very smoothly for me.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 06:29 pm
Open Office
Are you considering Firefox? I'm very pleased with it. Very Happy
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:53 pm
2 of the guys already use both just trying to move the wimmins in the house in that direction
0 Replies

butibum

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
Any change in an office suite away from MSO will inevitably lead to some compatibility problems. The degree of seriousness depends on your documents - the amount of detailed formatting - and who you need to exchange files with using a Word format. Things like font changes can generally be solved by making sure that your fonts from one application are available to the other(s). Naturally there are many differences between MSO and OOo. You could have a look at http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/index.html and download the "Migration" guide. There are a lot of other resources on this site, all prepared by users of OpenOffice.org. The external documentation for OOo is still work in progress.
There is a very active users forum for asking questions - but most questions can be answered by googling and reading the archives / documentation available.
I am a great fan of OOo and use it more or less exclusively. Hope this helps
regards
Martin
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 12:18 pm
Open Office
I'm chicken. I think I'll stick with Word. I don't really need the complexities of matching up current documents with a new program. But thanks anyway.
0 Replies

butibum

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
Re: Open Office
Tomkitten wrote:
I'm chicken. I think I'll stick with Word. I don't really need the complexities of matching up current documents with a new program. But thanks anyway.

You're welcome. If you change your mind, OOo is a great way to go. And that is without the (good) feeling that comes from working with open source software - Firefox and Thunderbird being but two other (excellent) examples.
regards
Martin Smile
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 02:11 pm
Open Office
Well, two out of three ain't bad. I do like my Thunderbird and I love my Firefox.
0 Replies