World of the dead dodo will come to life

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 09:30 am
http://www.spotlightingnews.com/gfx/1641_1.jpg

Kingdom: Animalia • Phylum: Chordata • Class: Aves • Order: Columbiformes • Family: Raphidae • Genus: Raphus • Species: Raphus cucullatus

Quote:
Mass grave promises to unlock secrets of the dodo's demise

By Elizabeth Davies
Published: 24 December 2005

The mysterious and long-extinct dodo has fascinated the nature world since it disappeared from the planet in the late 17th century. And now a newly discovered mass grave, containing remains of the lost creature, could help scientists learn more about the creature.

The cache of bones, and possibly entire dodo skeletons, uncovered by an international team of researchers on a sugar cane plantation in the Indian Ocean island of Mauritius, was hailed as a significant boost to modern understanding of the bird, one of the first documented animals to have been made extinct by the actions of human beings.

"This new find will allow for the first scientific research into, and reconstruction of, the world in which the dodo lived, before Western man landed on Mauritius and wiped out the species," the researchers said.

Kenneth Rijsdijk, a geologist with the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research, who led the dig, said: "We have found 700 bones including bones from 20 dodo birds and chicks but we believe there are many more at the site."

The remains, thought to date back 2,500 years to when the dodo lived without human interference, should yield valuable DNA samples, scientists presenting the findings at the Dutch National Museum of Natural History said. The find has also alerted researchers to the potential treasures which could lurk beneath the surface of the Mare aux Songes, the low-lying swamp area in the south-eastern part of Mauritius where the fossil material was discovered.
An accurate and systematic study of the previously unexplored region is now in the pipeline, with a team of international botanists preparing to establish the process by which such a massive collection of bones, seeds and wood ended up in the swamp and how it has remained so well preserved.

The dodo species, which dwindled rapidly after the arrival on Mauritius of Portuguese and Dutch sailors in the 1500s, had been driven to extinction by 1681 and the last recorded sighting was in 1663. The bird's nonchalance in the face of hunters proved eventually to be its downfall; scientists believe the dodo did not fear human beings because it had never had any natural predators. It had become so large (with a height of one metre and a weight of around 20 kilograms) that it could not fly.

No complete skeleton of a single dodo has ever been retrieved from a controlled archaeological site. The last known stuffed bird was destroyed in a 1755 fire at a museum in Oxford, leaving only partial skeletons and drawings to go on.

In addition to the dodo remains, the find included bones of various other extinct species including the indigenous giant tortoise and a large number of seeds of partly extinct trees and plants.

Half the native bird species of Mauritius were driven to extinction at about the same time as the dodo.
Source

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051223/051223_dodo_hmed3p.hmedium.jpg
A selection of discovered Dodo bones are seen on this photo provided by the Naturalis Museum in Leiden, the Netherlands, on Friday.

http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20051224/160_ap_dodo_051224.jpg
A replica of a Dodo skeleton at the Naturalis Museum in Leiden, the Netherlands, on Dec, 23, 2005. (AP Photo / Taco van der Eb)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 998 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 09:33 am
Interesting...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 09:43 am
Btw: the dodo was made famous by a political satire in the book Alice in Wonderland, in which a dodo leads a "caucus race" in which the rules are unclear, contestants run in circles and everybody wins a prize.

It soon became the best-known example of an extinct animal, leading to the expression "dead as a dodo".

Some more (older) infos about hte Dodo:

Animal Diversity Web

Knock knock who's there - KU Natural History Museum

General infos about bird losses since 1500

Bird extinctions
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 03:21 pm
I feel like such a dodo for not having known about this stuff before...thanks for the links Walter.
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 03:46 pm
We humans have become quite good at eliminating species from the world. They have a new leader with George Bush who is aggressively leading the charge to abolish all the wildlife protections. Those pesky animals are always getting in the way of greed and avarice.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 03:55 pm
bm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 03:58 pm
StSimon wrote:
We humans have become quite good at eliminating species from the world. They have a new leader with George Bush who is aggressively leading the charge to abolish all the wildlife protections. Those pesky animals are always getting in the way of greed and avarice.

Oh great, A2K attracts yet another PETA project....

And as we all know, "it's all Bush's fault".
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:37 pm
cjhsa wrote:
StSimon wrote:

All you have to do is take a look at his record! Have you looked?? OH, and by the way, I dodn't say it was all his fault, he'sw just leading bthe charge!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:42 pm
StSimon wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
StSimon wrote:

All you have to do is take a look at his record! Have you looked??

Considering this topic is about an extinct bird and meant to be about the bird, dragging politics into it shows little respect towards the original poster or this topic. If you wish to discuss politics or a particular political figure, why not restrict it to those threads instead of destroying what was a wonderful topic?
0 Replies

StSimon

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 05:00 pm
Sturgis,

Okey Dokey, I will just let the article speak for itself! You take it from there.

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Quote:
Mass grave promises to unlock secrets of the dodo's demise

And now a newly discovered mass grave, containing remains of the lost creature, could help scientists learn more about the creature.

one of the first documented animals to have been made extinct by the actions of human beings.

before Western man landed on Mauritius and wiped out the species," the researchers said.

The remains, thought to date back 2,500 years to when the dodo lived without human interference,

The dodo species, which dwindled rapidly after the arrival on Mauritius of Portuguese and Dutch sailors in the 1500s, had been driven to extinction by 1681

The bird's nonchalance in the face of hunters proved eventually to be its downfall; scientists believe the dodo did not fear human beings because it had never had any natural predators.

In addition to the dodo remains, the find included bones of various other extinct species including the indigenous giant tortoise and a large number of seeds of partly extinct trees and plants.

Half the native bird species of Mauritius were driven to extinction at about the same time as the dodo.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 05:08 pm
cjhsa wrote:

Actually, the research was done by the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (Nederlandse Organisatie voor Toegepast Natuurwetenschappelijk Onderzoek [TNO]), which hardly is connected to PETA - or do you have any infos about that?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 05:11 pm
I was talking about the other poster, not the research.

Sorry, I'm out of here.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 09:10 pm
I don't blame you, cjhsa. As usual, those who know the least about wildlife and their relationships with the human race are the first and most vocal in the sharing of their absurd opinions.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 09:40 pm
Well, thank you doctor! And welcome to A2K!!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:25 pm
CowDoc wrote:
I don't blame you, cjhsa. As usual, those who know the least about wildlife and their relationships with the human race are the first and most vocal in the sharing of their absurd opinions.

And exactly what is that relationship Doc? I'd like to know what you think that is.

Anon
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 12:28 am
CowDoc wrote:

Do you relate this to me, because I copied/pasted the source and started the thread? Or the researchers?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 06:37 am
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the absurd opinions of many posters here on A2K about animals and "animal rights".

I wish more college students these days would realize you're being sent to school to learn, not to be taught. All of the radical thought on "animal rights" these days is coming out of a liberal hotbed of absurdity. Students are told to join PETA by their professors. They do so thinking they are being cool, not realizing they are being manipulated.

It isn't unusual to see a person who grew up on a farm, with a healthy understanding of animal/human interdependency, go to college for a Poly Sci degree and emerge a full blown card carrying PETA freak.

That was my point, anyway, as it will continue to be.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:47 am
cjhsa wrote:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the absurd opinions of many posters here on A2K about animals and "animal rights".

I wish more college students these days would realize you're being sent to school to learn, not to be taught. All of the radical thought on "animal rights" these days is coming out of a liberal hotbed of absurdity. Students are told to join PETA by their professors. They do so thinking they are being cool, not realizing they are being manipulated.

It isn't unusual to see a person who grew up on a farm, with a healthy understanding of animal/human interdependency, go to college for a Poly Sci degree and emerge a full blown card carrying PETA freak.

That was my point, anyway, as it will continue to be.

It appears that "Cowdoc" stuck around just long enough to give you a cheer, and then slipped back to wherever he does between posts. I notice that since Dec. 2002, he's made a total of 173 posts, including the one to you.

Anon
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 Dec, 2005 09:48 am
So?
0 Replies